Caterpillar Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
3.4

Caterpillar Chairman & CEO Douglas R. Oberhelman
Douglas R. Oberhelman

Pros
  • There is a good work life balance, but you have to be your own catalyst for it (in 62 reviews)

• Good pay and bonuses (but they jack with the pay-out formula every year to make it harder to achieve) (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • They kept us to very unrealistic timelines and sacrificed any work life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Some of the upper management also seems kind of elitist and typically not visible (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice place to work, a lot of great people.

Former Employee - Quality Technician in Fountain Inn, SC
    Former Employee - Quality Technician in Fountain Inn, SC

I worked at Caterpillar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This company was a pretty good place to work. The benefits were satisfactory, very comparable to nearby companies. The training was good. Growth within the company was good.

Cons

The business was doing great before the economy went down hill. Then it never really recovered from that. It unfortunately closed the facility.

Pay was great, best in the area.

Former Employee - Human Resources Coach in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Coach in Peoria, IL

I worked at Caterpillar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits like nowhere else if your in management or salary.

Cons

There is a definite 'network' to get hired. Too many people who can use that network, but not really do a job well, will be your boss.

Should work on hiring process and red tape, but that's any large company.

Solid workforce

I have been working at Caterpillar

Pros

Profits,great benefits,mid west values,expanding,big potential

Cons

Foreign travel, small offices, loud machines, slow promotion

My experience at Caterpillar was very rewarding and uplifting.

Current Employee - Project Manager/Mechanical Engineer in Griffith, GA
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Mechanical Engineer in Griffith, GA

I have been working at Caterpillar as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Working with some my colleagues there made the work and the day just that much more of a joy coming to work.

Cons

I wish at the time I was there that the support team was a little more assessable.

I would enjoy returning back to work there. I learned a lot while I was a employee with Caterpillar.

Good company to work

Current Employee - Engineer in Sanford, NC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Sanford, NC

I have been working at Caterpillar (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great policies and good people the leaders are really good role model and motivate the team members for their sucesses

Cons

Repeated work
    Carrier growth will be limited for Technical people

Stay away

Current Employee - IT Worker in Oak Creek, WI
    Current Employee - IT Worker in Oak Creek, WI

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good.

Cons

If you work in IT, stay far away. The managers are some of the most inept and narcissistic I've ever dealt with. Also, if you want to advance your career, you have to move to IL.

Old Boys Club

Current Employee - Business Manager in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They overpay, benefits not terrible.

Cons

You will work with a lot of idiots who think a professional certification absolves them of having to produce quality work the first time. You will be surrounded by men everywhere you go, most of them with large egos and lazy work ethics. Bright, intelligent women are looked over for those who either look nice or don't truly speak their mind. You have to play "the game" to get anywhere you can make a difference, and nobody really makes a personal difference in their employee's lives because it is all about the bottom line. Whatever it takes to churn out a quarterly profit even if we are constantly mortgaging our future. CAT comes first, your life comes second and they do not at all practice what they preach.

Desperately need to promote women and not make them feel like they are lucky to have what they have or promote them just to meet a quota.

Many, many years with Cat

I worked at Caterpillar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to move within the company. Formerly great salary and benefits. Good people working very hard. Used to be something you could count on. Financially well-managed and conservative approach.

Cons

Work/life balance was a myth. Management-level employees were compensated well but expected to live for the company. Culture is stodgy, resistant to change and slow to adopt new ways of thinking, collaborating, and communicating. Post 2008 crash, experience was costly and cut from the company, resulting in great disservice to its future. Benefits not what they used to be, but that's typical of corporations everywhere. A bit Big-Brotherish.

"THE WALMART OF THE INDUSTRY"!

Former Employee - Contract Design Engineer in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Contract Design Engineer in Peoria, IL

I worked at Caterpillar as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

used to be a good place for a life long career !, no longer true!

Cons

LOW LOW LOW PAY, does not care about employees at all, layoffs layoffs layoffs,
    sending jobs to low paying states, cutting contracted pay and offering NO benefits.
    company has a love affair with foreign workers.

Reverse the direction the company has taken the last few years immediately !!!!, I worked within caterpillar as a contracted design engineer for over 18 years, the company is taking itself down hill fast!, the engineering wages hadn't changed in over 15 years, but not cat has lowered their engineering staffing wages to the lowest of their own industry, they have become the walmart of the heavy equipment industry, meaning people don't want to work their because of the low wages, and those that do want to leave !!!......generations of families no longer consider caterpillar as a good place to work, "the best part time job you'll ever have", massive layoffs, production workers beat up so they'll take $10-12 dollars an hour, I've personally seen suppliers beat up over their part charges to where they only make nickels on their products, now cat turned towards the contracted engineering staffing slicing their pay rates in 2013 by 1/3 of their previous wage which was the same for over 15 years, and NO benefits at all !!...they should be ashamed of themselves !!!!, any engineering personal will do much better at any of their competitors for sure, the offer people right out of college the lowest they can possibly pay them......go elsewhere, go out of state, cat is the big yellow bully on the playground that will beat up their own employees and pay you less and less after each time they lay you off !!!.......they have absolutely no value on their employees from production all the way up to engineering supervisors.......

They suck

Current Employee - Production Associate in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Production Associate in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For the area, pay was good

Cons

No work/life balance, long hours, poor leaders