Cathay General Bancorp

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dunson K. Cheng

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Welcoming environment with great team working departments

Loan Assistant (Current Employee) El Monte, CA

ProsEveryone is willing to help out and is very accommodating. Excellent starting benefits and very knowledgeable upper management. Most departments have team members whom you can rely on casually hang out with. Not a very cutthroat environment. Very high Asian to non-Asian ratio, however, management has begun branching out to diversify.

ConsThe ability to move up is primarily reliant on seniority. You could be extremely knowledgeable and efficient in your work, but someone who has been with the company longer will be promoted quicker. Starting pay is mediocre at best. Most managers are very stringent on working overtime and will try to sway non-exempt employees from contributing too much (if any) OT.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closer attention and spend more time on annual evaluations and determine promotions, raises, and bonuses based on performance. A standard bonus and a standard raise across the board does not compensate those who work extremely hard vs those who do the bare minimum to get by.

temporary and contractors views

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) El Monte, CA

ProsPlenty to do and learn. Employees qualify for benefits and able to participate in all events and programs. Many 20+ year employees with the company. Best to know Mandarin or Cantonese.

ConsIf not perm employee, there's a good chance you will feel left out. Temp/contractor to employee is difficult to have approved. Those that has worked here for few years are not willing to change for better efficiency.

Cathay Bank

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) El Monte, CA

ProsGreat Culture and great office (if you work at the headquarter in El Monte).
    Good place to work if you are a Chinese speaker.

ConsSeniority tend to be overvalued. Top performers are not recognized and rewarded soon enough.
    Employee evaluations are often expedited by busy supervisors and are not accurate.
    Because of its aging community, coworkers are usually not open to change. Most of us still have office 2003 installed on our desktop. Training is unorganized but satisfactory.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people, needs management training

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) El Monte, CA

ProsThe bank provides a nice worklife balance, and I genuinely liked the people that I worked with. A lot of them are motivated, sharp, and down to earth.

ConsConflict management is an issue and it makes it difficult to get things done. Middle management and tenured employees will often say what yo uwant to hear but stick with the status quo. There needs to be more healthy conflict to spur change.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to have more of a presence and lend its weight to important issues. Stand behind some causes and be more visible.

Stay away.

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) El Monte, CA

ProsSome people are very smart. Over all a good asian bank.

ConsLow pay and no appreciation from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your people. Seniority means nothing .

Chinese bank.......

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) El Monte, CA

ProsI do enjoy the annual bonus payout but it has decreased due to issues with that home mortgage loan mess and the downturn in the economy.

ConsMaybe this is just me but the silence drives me nuts! In the department I work in, you can probably hear a mouse's fart. Yes, we are all suppose to be working and getting work done but where is the friendly chit-chat that keeps things interesting inside the office? Work drags even more in a dead-silent and boring environment. Also, being quite new in my position (just over a year), it's difficult for me to keep up. The manager tells me to feel free to ask for help but everyone always have their heads buried in their work. They don't take their mandatory breaks during the day and sometimes they eat their lunch at their desks and continue to work. It doesn't feel accommodating at all. I feel guilty every time I go to one of my peers for assistance. Oh, and I also don't like their training - "Take a look at last year's work, read the procedural manual and just read up on possible updates on the internet. If you need help, feel free to ask someone." BLEH!

Advice to Senior ManagementPut some life into the department please! I go some days saying less than 20 words, it's boring me to death! And definitely be more considerate of your new workers who have had zero experience in the kind of work you all do. Implementing a shadowing approach will do wonders for any new hires in the department.

Worked for Cathay General Bancorp? Contribute to the Community!