Cathay General Bancorp

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dunson K. Cheng

Great work life balance but not too much upward mobility.

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time

ProsThe office culture is very friendly. Most people have been with the bank for many years and know what they are doing. The human resources department is very nice and willing to work with employees to make sure that the best possible outcome occurs. Hours are pretty standard without too much overtime.

ConsBecause people are with the bank for a long time, there are not many positions open for career advancement. In addition, people are not too willing to try new things if the way it's always worked before has been ok.

Welcoming environment with great team working departments

Loan Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time for more than a year

ProsEveryone is willing to help out and is very accommodating. Excellent starting benefits and very knowledgeable upper management. Most departments have team members whom you can rely on casually hang out with. Not a very cutthroat environment. Very high Asian to non-Asian ratio, however, management has begun branching out to diversify.

ConsThe ability to move up is primarily reliant on seniority. You could be extremely knowledgeable and efficient in your work, but someone who has been with the company longer will be promoted quicker. Starting pay is mediocre at best. Most managers are very stringent on working overtime and will try to sway non-exempt employees from contributing too much (if any) OT.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closer attention and spend more time on annual evaluations and determine promotions, raises, and bonuses based on performance. A standard bonus and a standard raise across the board does not compensate those who work extremely hard vs those who do the bare minimum to get by.

I worked at Cathay Bank full-time for 2 years.

Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Cathay General Bancorp full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople are friendly to work with. The working environment is very stable - many people have been working there for more than 20 years.

ConsA very traditional bank. There is no room for growth. Top performers are recognized but not rewarded, which means you get more responsibilities but your salary/title/benefits didn't catch up accordingly. Might feel like an outsider sometimes if you are not a Chinese speaker.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo attract and retain young professionals.

I am hard worker, pay attention to detail. I am work well with others, and well organize. Good follow through.

Operations Clerk (Current Employee)
Temple City, CA

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time for more than 10 years

ProsReason to relocate to Boise area, and plan to get marry.

ConsGood environment more than to other state.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnjoy life.

traditional bank

Teller (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time for more than a year

Prossomeone branch is friendly,traditional, stable

Consdeeply chinese traditional bank, old fashion, no room growth

Advice to Senior Managementneed more young perple

It was good, but management needs to update itself

I worked at Cathay General Bancorp

Prosfriendly place to learn entry job lessons

Consway too cash intensive at times

No culture whatsoever

Bank Teller (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time for more than a year

Prosfun meeting and chatting with customers.

Consemployees aren't very friendly to each other, lot of people get the run around the bush. higher management seems to not care about employees at branches. there is zero culture - as in not a very lively environment. I felt dead there.

Advice to Senior Managementinspire the employees, have better communication. I understand the rift between chinese and english speaking employees, it's natural, but seriously....

Cathay Bank

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time

ProsGreat Culture and great office (if you work at the headquarter in El Monte).
Good place to work if you are a Chinese speaker.

ConsSeniority tend to be overvalued. Top performers are not recognized and rewarded soon enough.
Employee evaluations are often expedited by busy supervisors and are not accurate.
Because of its aging community, coworkers are usually not open to change. Most of us still have office 2003 installed on our desktop. Training is unorganized but satisfactory.

Relaxed with a family feel

Bank Teller (Current Employee)
Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp part-time for less than a year

ProsEveryone is really helpful. The work itself is pretty easy, although as a teller i cannot comment on other facets of the bank.

ConsNot much of a ladder to climb. Almost no exit opportunities or in house growth opportunities to speak of.

Good people, needs management training

I worked at Cathay General Bancorp full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe bank provides a nice worklife balance, and I genuinely liked the people that I worked with. A lot of them are motivated, sharp, and down to earth.

ConsConflict management is an issue and it makes it difficult to get things done. Middle management and tenured employees will often say what yo uwant to hear but stick with the status quo. There needs to be more healthy conflict to spur change.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to have more of a presence and lend its weight to important issues. Stand behind some causes and be more visible.

Worked for Cathay General Bancorp? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cathay General Bancorp reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cathay General Bancorp CEO Dunson K. Cheng. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Cathay General Bancorp employees.