Cathay General Bancorp Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Dunson K. Cheng
1 Rating

1. Wonder how this company is able to compete in its industry!

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Cathay General Bancorp as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

For people who desire to work at a easy place where you can get away with doing nothing! It is for a person who is looking for a job and not a career.

Cons

A very micro-managed firm by the upper management, it makes difficult to get things done efficiently.

Advice to Management

Need some innovation and creative ideas.

2. Decent place to work at

Pros

Coworkers are really nice. Learned a lot of life experiences from them.

Cons

Senior management trying to work people at their most.

Advice to Management

A lot of departments are underman, really need to hire more people to increase efficiency.

Welcoming environment with great team working departments

Current Employee - Loan Assistant in El Monte, CA
    Current Employee - Loan Assistant in El Monte, CA

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is willing to help out and is very accommodating. Excellent starting benefits and very knowledgeable upper management. Most departments have team members whom you can rely on casually hang out with. Not a very cutthroat environment. Very high Asian to non-Asian ratio, however, management has begun branching out to diversify.

Cons

The ability to move up is primarily reliant on seniority. You could be extremely knowledgeable and efficient in your work, but someone who has been with the company longer will be promoted quicker. Starting pay is mediocre at best. Most managers are very stringent on working overtime and will try to sway non-exempt employees from contributing too much (if any) OT.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention and spend more time on annual evaluations and determine promotions, raises, and bonuses based on performance. A standard bonus and a standard raise across the board does not compensate those who work extremely hard vs those who do the bare minimum to get by.

5. traditional bank

Current Employee - Teller in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Teller in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

someone branch is friendly,traditional, stable

Cons

deeply chinese traditional bank, old fashion, no room growth

Advice to Management

need more young perple

6. It was good, but management needs to update itself

Pros

friendly place to learn entry job lessons

Cons

way too cash intensive at times

Cathay Bank

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time

Pros

Great Culture and great office (if you work at the headquarter in El Monte). Good place to work if you are a Chinese speaker.

Cons

Seniority tend to be overvalued. Top performers are not recognized and rewarded soon enough. Employee evaluations are often expedited by busy supervisors and are not accurate. Because of its aging community, coworkers are usually not open to change. Most of us still have office 2003 installed on our desktop. Training is unorganized but satisfactory.

8. Good people, needs management training

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Monte, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Monte, CA

I worked at Cathay General Bancorp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The bank provides a nice worklife balance, and I genuinely liked the people that I worked with. A lot of them are motivated, sharp, and down to earth.

Cons

Conflict management is an issue and it makes it difficult to get things done. Middle management and tenured employees will often say what yo uwant to hear but stick with the status quo. There needs to be more healthy conflict to spur change.

Advice to Management

Management needs to have more of a presence and lend its weight to important issues. Stand behind some causes and be more visible.

9. Good if you know how to speak chinese

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

Pros

Get to know about the banking business Co-workers are generally nice Lunch breaks and work breaks managers are competent in what they do

Cons

If you don't have a lot of banking experience and do not speak either Cantonese or Mandarin do not expect to excel with this company.

Advice to Management

Make more opportunities for entry level workers at the bank. Also fix or upgrade the office equipment ex. printers and scanners

Chinese bank.......

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Monte, CA

Pros

I do enjoy the annual bonus payout but it has decreased due to issues with that home mortgage loan mess and the downturn in the economy.

Cons

Maybe this is just me but the silence drives me nuts! In the department I work in, you can probably hear a mouse's fart. Yes, we are all suppose to be working and getting work done but where is the friendly chit-chat that keeps things interesting inside the office? Work drags even more in a dead-silent and boring environment. Also, being quite new in my position (just over a year), it's difficult for me to keep up. The manager tells me to feel free to ask for help but everyone always have their heads buried in their work. They don't take their mandatory breaks during the day and sometimes they eat their lunch at their desks and continue to work. It doesn't feel accommodating at all. I feel guilty every time I go to one of my peers for assistance. Oh, and I also don't like their training - "Take a look at last year's work, read the procedural manual and just read up on possible updates on the internet. If you need help, feel free to ask someone." BLEH!

Advice to Management

Put some life into the department please! I go some days saying less than 20 words, it's boring me to death! And definitely be more considerate of your new workers who have had zero experience in the kind of work you all do. Implementing a shadowing approach will do wonders for any new hires in the department.

11. Mortgage Loan Porcessor

Current Employee - Loan Assistant
    Current Employee - Loan Assistant

Pros

Follow labor laws and provide benefits

Cons

Pay is very low and hard to get promotion

Advice to Management

In order to have your employees given their 100%, salary wise needs to be higher. In order for you to hire good employees, salary needs to be higher.

RSS Feed </> Embed