Cathay General Bancorp

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dunson K. Cheng

Portfolio Manager

Portfolio Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSome dedicated employees, and an interesting tradition for Chinese new year

ConsDisorganized organization, difficult to change, the entire organization focus on your title instead of real contribution, lack of opportunity for growth if you are fast pace; lack of understanding who is making contributions and who is not.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in IT, HR, and your personnel. Please evaluate the pro and cons before implementing any company-wide project. Hold person responsible (reward and penalty) for tangible performance.

Decent place to work at

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCoworkers are really nice. Learned a lot of life experiences from them.

ConsSenior management trying to work people at their most.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of departments are underman, really need to hire more people to increase efficiency.

temporary and contractors views

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) El Monte, CA

ProsPlenty to do and learn. Employees qualify for benefits and able to participate in all events and programs. Many 20+ year employees with the company. Best to know Mandarin or Cantonese.

ConsIf not perm employee, there's a good chance you will feel left out. Temp/contractor to employee is difficult to have approved. Those that has worked here for few years are not willing to change for better efficiency.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Welcoming environment with great team working departments

Loan Assistant (Current Employee) El Monte, CA

ProsEveryone is willing to help out and is very accommodating. Excellent starting benefits and very knowledgeable upper management. Most departments have team members whom you can rely on casually hang out with. Not a very cutthroat environment. Very high Asian to non-Asian ratio, however, management has begun branching out to diversify.

ConsThe ability to move up is primarily reliant on seniority. You could be extremely knowledgeable and efficient in your work, but someone who has been with the company longer will be promoted quicker. Starting pay is mediocre at best. Most managers are very stringent on working overtime and will try to sway non-exempt employees from contributing too much (if any) OT.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closer attention and spend more time on annual evaluations and determine promotions, raises, and bonuses based on performance. A standard bonus and a standard raise across the board does not compensate those who work extremely hard vs those who do the bare minimum to get by.

Great work life balance but not too much upward mobility.

ProsThe office culture is very friendly. Most people have been with the bank for many years and know what they are doing. The human resources department is very nice and willing to work with employees to make sure that the best possible outcome occurs. Hours are pretty standard without too much overtime.

ConsBecause people are with the bank for a long time, there are not many positions open for career advancement. In addition, people are not too willing to try new things if the way it's always worked before has been ok.

I worked at Cathay Bank full-time for 2 years.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsPeople are friendly to work with. The working environment is very stable - many people have been working there for more than 20 years.

ConsA very traditional bank. There is no room for growth. Top performers are recognized but not rewarded, which means you get more responsibilities but your salary/title/benefits didn't catch up accordingly. Might feel like an outsider sometimes if you are not a Chinese speaker.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo attract and retain young professionals.

I am hard worker, pay attention to detail. I am work well with others, and well organize. Good follow through.

Operations Clerk (Current Employee) Temple City, CA

ProsReason to relocate to Boise area, and plan to get marry.

ConsGood environment more than to other state.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnjoy life.

traditional bank

Teller (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prossomeone branch is friendly,traditional, stable

Consdeeply chinese traditional bank, old fashion, no room growth

Advice to Senior Managementneed more young perple

It was good, but management needs to update itself

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfriendly place to learn entry job lessons

Consway too cash intensive at times

No culture whatsoever

Bank Teller (Current Employee)

Prosfun meeting and chatting with customers.

Consemployees aren't very friendly to each other, lot of people get the run around the bush. higher management seems to not care about employees at branches. there is zero culture - as in not a very lively environment. I felt dead there.

Advice to Senior Managementinspire the employees, have better communication. I understand the rift between chinese and english speaking employees, it's natural, but seriously....

Worked for Cathay General Bancorp? Contribute to the Community!