Catholic Charities USA

Catholic Charities USA Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Catholic Charities USA President Rev Larry Snyder

Rev Larry Snyder

Pros:
  • "Cheerful work environment, loving staff, rewarding work experiences, professional development"
    in 6 reviews
  • "It is great to know that you are part of a non-profit org that is dedicated to helping everyone of all ages"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Although this is how it is in the Non-profit world"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Very low pay with negligible increases"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good staff, safe, clean working environment

Counselor (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThe department staff are great to work with. The supervisors are responsive and professional.

ConsThe building needs updating and needs basic things like heat and air conditioning.

Intake Specialist

Intake Specialist (Current Employee)
    Buffalo, NY

ProsI love working here at my current work place we are a close knit family and it makes coming to work everyday a pleasure

ConsThe biggest challenge that i am facing now is that i am ready to relocate and i pray that i find employment in catholic charities and the people are like the special people i will be leaving.

Depends on which branch and who the managers are

Consultant (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsFlexibility and a sense of moral fulfillment as the employer (an therefore the employee) provides a variety of services to the community and assists in access to legal, health, educational opportunities to ultimately enhance their self sufficiency.

ConsMoral fulfillment does not pay the rent. As a non-profit; Catholic Charities does not pay well. Sometimes this scenario attracts either short term employees that leave as soon as they find a better salary or employees who do not give their best skills to their employer. Both situations undermine the working environment and payoff for colleagues and clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in good workers, re evaluate the cost benefit ratio of deadwood staff

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Supervise children under age and help them know computer knowledge.

Account Receivable (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsThe best reason I like to work is because accounting is my field and the company is familiar to me

ConsTraining would be the best beginning for any individual to place in a job market even though he/she knows about the job. Every company has its own policy to follow. That's why it is necessary to train people so that the person has to grow fast in knowledge as well as the company benefited etc

Advice to Senior ManagementAs I said in the above, training is very necessary for any person because new person in a new position needs to know and to follow companies policy as well as company inside and outside rules and regulation. People who follow the rules of any company, never make a mistake. If it happens, it could be the easy way to solve.

I volunteered with them as a Refugee Tutor.

Volunteer Refugee Tutor (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsI thought I was doing this in the beginning to help the children.... little did I know that I was the one getting the help. Those children are awe inspiring.

ConsThe children come from a myriad of backgrounds and experiences. Their challenges are often reflected in their behavior. There are times when a tutor has to have thick skin because their anger is taken out on us.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is nothing they could do that they aren't already doing.

Worst Company to Work For!

Alexandria, VA

ProsThey have great mission, good benefit and a nice office location. Some of the staff are friendly and welcoming.

ConsTerrible management team. Staff are treated like trash, especially if you are black. They don't practice what their mission is about.

not worth the drive

Timonium, MD

ProsGet to leave the office and visit other Catholic Charities locations.

ConsI was there for 3 months before anyone gave me any work to do and when I finally got a specific job to do I was showed the wrong way on how they want things to be done. The workers are not very friendly which makes the days even longer. There is little or no room for growth within the company.

A learning experience that enhanced my skills greatly.

Parent Partner (Former Employee)
    Cortland, NY

ProsWages were fair and it was a very good working environment.

ConsOn call 24/7 was one of the downfalls of the job.

Great People doing Great Work

ProsBest people you'll ever work with.

ConsThe pay is not the reason anyone works here.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your employees to set healthy boundaries with work life balance.

Great mission and goals but not much opportunity for advancement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe mission of the nonprofit is good - they have good intentions and a lot of programs that are intended to help community members who are most in need.

ConsThere are some managerial issues that prevent the realization of some of the ultimate aims of the organization, not much opportunity for movement or advancement in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seemed like the management was very lenient with employees who had issues and a push from the district office to offer perks that were not financially based, although there were incremental raises offered they did not match cost of living inflation. The result was a slow leak of the good talent - the most effective employees who worked hardest ended up either leaving or getting burnt out and suffering from compassion fatigue.

Worked for Catholic Charities USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Catholic Charities USA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Catholic Charities USA CEO Rev Larry Snyder. All 84 reviews posted anonymously by Catholic Charities USA employees.