Catholic Charities of Brooklyn & Queens

Updated July 6, 2014
Updated July 6, 2014

2.6

Robert Siebel

Very professional, serving the children and families with dignity and values; effective responses to human need.

Current Employee - Family Worker  in  Queens Village, NY
    Current Employee - Family Worker in Queens Village, NY

Pros

I enjoy to work with people and children. Empowering the families and children to succeed in their lives.

Cons

Working with a variety of cultures, learning different languages, helping families and children in their development.

Very professional, Team player, Responsible.

Terrible company to work for!

Former Employee - Program Coordinator  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Not sure there were too many, I liked the school I was placed in. The CEO did give the staff a few extra holidays for people working through hurricane sandy.

Cons

Disorganized, hierarchical thinking; managers do not listen to staff who work for them. Organization does not care about their employees, The message is - "get the job done, do whatever we tell you". High turnover and the administration doesn't seem to question why.

Poor communication among management. Managers juggle too much, are stressed out and need more training in how to really be leaders. They care more about numbers than their staff and the under-served populations they are trying to help.

Social work supervisor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

The cultural diversity of the clients served, provides a rich clinical experience for social workers.

Cons

This sector of the agency is governed by a cruel administrative body. The staff turn over is rapid as many staff members find the clinic to be a brutal place to remain.The quality of consistent care to clients is thus compromised.The benefits are not worth the demoralization and the angst the oligarchy creates. It is vital to work for an agency that values the integrity of the staff...this is not that place.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stepping Stone out of School

Former Employee - Office Manager  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Some flexibility with your schedule, decent amount of time off

Cons

Salary is going to be VERY low given this is a non-profit organization, advancement doesnt exist unless you work at headquarters in specific units and they know you

Increase salaries across the board and you will retain good employees and can be more selective in who you hire with experience.

Enjoyable company, a little unorganized but nevertheless enjoyable.

Current Employee - Site Monitor  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Site Monitor in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Close-knit family-like staff. Very friendly and an extremely positive environment to work in.

Cons

Management were not on the same page so it was hard taking direction, because you didn't really know who to take direction from.

GET ON THE SAME PAGE!

Great Job but Management needs training .. and Take better care of its staffs

Current Employee - Senior Center  in  Bayside, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Center in Bayside, NY

Pros

Great benefits , great co.workers, friends ...meeting great folks ..Promotions are for managers and they never discussed it with staffs . As a worker , just do the job or move on

Cons

Co needs to train managements and staffs needs to concentrate on their jobs. How can you have an inexperienced manager of 6 months in a position assessed a worker that have been working there for 8 yrs plus . with satisfactory The previous manager grade me an excellent all the previous years . Whenever help is needed , I am there . ridiculous .. I think it is a a way to keep you down .. No room for improvements

Managers wont give or share these opportunities. It is left in their emails .Managers are very inexperienced and wont take advice from the staffs. I consider the location that I work is very racist in some way Just my opinion and

It was an overall worthwhile experience. The population I worked with really improved my skills

Pros

Depending on what location you're placed in you can have a great relationship with your clients and MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Cons

Some people at the top are really disconnected from what really matters and that's the population/people we work with. Too preoccupied with "budgets, and numbers"

Be mindful of the people you place in management positions. You'll have high employee turnover if you don't.

Underpaid, overworked & ignored

Former Employee - Office Manager  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Worked for a great supervisor.

Cons

Men were appreciated, women were not, seemed to be some sexual discrimination as all male applicants were told the salary could be looked into and they ALL got higher salaries even though the budgets didnt have much to offer, yet as an Office Manager at one of the clinics for 2.5 years when telling my Director about leaving that if he could get me the salary my title deserved I would consider staying - without hesitating he told me there was nothing he could do - the pay was the pay. I processed all staff - really you tell ME that?!

Hire people that care & make sure your staff are being treated fairly because an entire HR department should notice ONLY men are receiving pay increases when the jobs they are applying for clearly state what the pay is. (ps I worked for the AGENCY for 5 yrs held a previous role under another program before being the office manager at the clinic - you think a reasonable pay increase to be bale to support myself would be reasonable given I had a degree even though the role did not call for one).

STAY AWAY

Pros

good vacation days and they give a lot of catholic holidays off such as immaculate conception. Also gives the day after thanksgiving off

Cons

EVERYTHING ELSE. Bad pay, bad managers . I would not recommend this company to a friend

Have lower tier employees review managers

Management is abusive!

Former Employee - Social Worker  in  Far Rockaway, NY
    Former Employee - Social Worker in Far Rockaway, NY

Pros

Easy to get a job there right after graduation. The pay is OK.

Cons

Abusive and paranoid management that requires total subordination. Supportive staff (secretaries) is spying on social workers. The management cares only about paperwork, nobody thinks about patients.

This place is hopeless, no advice.

Worked for Catholic Charities of Brooklyn & Queens? Contribute to the Community!