Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
4.1

Greg Kepferle

Wonderful company! Challenging work with never ending hours...

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at CC is lot's of fun! There are good benefits, awesome conversations around how to be leaders in the non-profit world, and plenty staff gatherings. If you want (and actually try) you can easily get to know the entire agency. You quickly learn about the true challenges facing the nonprofit world locally. It's a great way to also network with other agencies doing similar good work.

Cons

This might be good and bad but I've heard staff refer to CCSCC as a training camp for MSW/Case Managers. I've even heard staff say "if you've worked there, you can work anywhere." This being said, there are lots of committed people but it's often a cost. You (and many others) work late hours/long days and often even weekends. The work is never ending and can appear overwhelming. You truly need to have a strong work-life balance.

It's emotional working with clients and world events definitely keep you on your toes.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Supportive staff. You can actually see the impact you are having on the community. The clients are also very appreciative. There are some truly incredible people working here.

Cons

Don't plan, just do: world events affect what you'll be doing that day.
    The emotion side you deal with with clients can be draining: remember to take care of yourself.

My bosses were pretty incredible and definitely helped me grow.

A great capacity to learn, but could be stressful

I worked at Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County

Pros

Amazing co-workers that genuinely care about the well-being of others. Most work their butts off serving the community and have enormous, compassionate hearts. Good benefits (health, 401K, tuition reimbursement). Learned a lot during my time as I hand to wear many hats which can be both a pro and con.

Cons

Big workload and had trouble balancing work-life balance. I was essentially working a FT job and being paid PT. Clients sometimes got very, very demanding and expected/wanted a lot from us. Compensation is comparable to other non-profits, but still not good. High turnover and burnout rate among staff.

More respect and equality of other divisions and not simply ones that look more 'glamorous' or give you the best chances for PR. Reward and praise staff more often since they are the ones running the programs.

CORAL After School Instructor

Former Employee - CORAL After School Instructor in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - CORAL After School Instructor in San Jose, CA

I worked at Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County

Pros

Excellent opportunity for non-profit experience serving the youth of San Jose, making a difference in their lives and showing them the value of education. Excellent training is available, and the company has a welcoming, family atmosphere to it.

Cons

Opportunities for upward movement are rather limited, at least within the CORAL program. Chances are that you'll need a second job if you're working as an instructor.

I really enjoyed my time working with Catholic Charities. I found the opportunity to do work that was meaningful in the lives of others to be quite rewarding.

awesome

I worked at Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County

Pros

best place that i've ever worked...friendly environment with smart people. My boss is very cool and understanding and flexible which fit my schedule

Cons

Non that i can think of except, low pay (what do you expect? it is a non-profit organization eventually). Helping people is the goal

I dont have much experience with management so i dont really have anything to advise them except that it would be nice to increase the pay.