Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County

Employment Status

Reset
3.9
Greg Kepferle

1. Great opportunity for volunteering !!!

Current Freelancer - Income Tax Volunteer in Los Altos, CA
    Current Freelancer - Income Tax Volunteer in Los Altos, CA

I have been working at Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County (More than a year)

Pros

Great chance to help low income families.

Cons

Nothing. This is a volunteer oppotunity.

Program Assistant

I worked at Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County full-time

Pros

Good opportunity to help other - great benefits.

Cons

People get fired just for speaking up - management has no idea how to treat staff.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your donors and let them know you treat your employees like slaves!

3. Wonderful company! Challenging work with never ending hours...

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at CC is lot's of fun! There are good benefits, awesome conversations around how to be leaders in the non-profit world, and plenty staff gatherings. If you want (and actually try) you can easily get to know the entire agency. You quickly learn about the true challenges facing the nonprofit world locally. It's a great way to also network with other agencies doing similar good work.

Cons

This might be good and bad but I've heard staff refer to CCSCC as a training camp for MSW/Case Managers. I've even heard staff say "if you've worked there, you can work anywhere." This being said, there are lots of committed people but it's often a cost. You (and many others) work late hours/long days and often even weekends. The work is never ending and can appear overwhelming. You truly need to have a strong work-life balance.

It's emotional working with clients and world events definitely keep you on your toes.

Current Contractor - Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Contractor - Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive staff. You can actually see the impact you are having on the community. The clients are also very appreciative. There are some truly incredible people working here.

Cons

Don't plan, just do: world events affect what you'll be doing that day.
    The emotion side you deal with with clients can be draining: remember to take care of yourself.

Advice to Management

My bosses were pretty incredible and definitely helped me grow.

A great capacity to learn, but could be stressful

I worked at Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County

Pros

Amazing co-workers that genuinely care about the well-being of others. Most work their butts off serving the community and have enormous, compassionate hearts. Good benefits (health, 401K, tuition reimbursement). Learned a lot during my time as I hand to wear many hats which can be both a pro and con.

Cons

Big workload and had trouble balancing work-life balance. I was essentially working a FT job and being paid PT. Clients sometimes got very, very demanding and expected/wanted a lot from us. Compensation is comparable to other non-profits, but still not good. High turnover and burnout rate among staff.

Advice to Management

More respect and equality of other divisions and not simply ones that look more 'glamorous' or give you the best chances for PR. Reward and praise staff more often since they are the ones running the programs.

7. CORAL After School Instructor

Former Employee - CORAL After School Instructor in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - CORAL After School Instructor in San Jose, CA

I worked at Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County

Pros

Excellent opportunity for non-profit experience serving the youth of San Jose, making a difference in their lives and showing them the value of education. Excellent training is available, and the company has a welcoming, family atmosphere to it.

Cons

Opportunities for upward movement are rather limited, at least within the CORAL program. Chances are that you'll need a second job if you're working as an instructor.

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed my time working with Catholic Charities. I found the opportunity to do work that was meaningful in the lives of others to be quite rewarding.

awesome

I worked at Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County

Pros

best place that i've ever worked...friendly environment with smart people. My boss is very cool and understanding and flexible which fit my schedule

Cons

Non that i can think of except, low pay (what do you expect? it is a non-profit organization eventually). Helping people is the goal

Advice to Management

I dont have much experience with management so i dont really have anything to advise them except that it would be nice to increase the pay.

RSS Feed </> Embed