Catholic Guardian Society and Home Bureau

2.1
Craig Longley

1. Good organization

I have been working at Catholic Guardian Society and Home Bureau full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule and great staffing.

Cons

low pay rate and low pay increases

Worst agency I have ever worked for...

Former Employee - Health Care Integrator in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Health Care Integrator in Bronx, NY

I worked at Catholic Guardian Society and Home Bureau full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

a paycheck, a lot of holidays off

Cons

very long work hours, management would constantly change paperwork requirements, management would not listen to staff concerns, cases in all 5 boroughs, high caseloads

Advice to Management

work with staff instead of working against them

Worse place to work

Former Employee - Health Care Integrator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Health Care Integrator in New York, NY

Pros

Lots of Catholic holidays, work for a pay check but won't enjoy the work load or environment. Some good benefits. 4 Weeks vacation.

Cons

Long work hours, work overload, work can interfere with family and personal life. They don't care about no one, as long as the work is done that's all they care about. Highly stress environment. Hostile place to work. Supervisor like to belittle direct care workers. B2H program is the worst. No COLA for the last couple of years.

Advice to Management

Try to work better with direct care worker, understand were members of the same team. Stop acting you're better than the others. advocate for raises. Both sides needs to be heard and the bullying by some management needs to stop.

5. If you want to make a decent living, DO NOT WORK FOR THIS AGENCY.

Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY
    Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY

I have been working at Catholic Guardian Society and Home Bureau full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Agency gives you all major and Catholic holy and holidays. You get vacation, personal and sick days.

Cons

You get NO cost of living increases, no salary increases, no bonuses......When it come to salary, the.money you made in 2005 you are still making the same amount in 2014. This agency cares nothing about its employees, most employees cannot pay their bills because of the low wages. The moral is very low.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking about yourself and help the employees get a decent cost of living increase

6. Not A Bad Company

I have been working at Catholic Guardian Society and Home Bureau

Pros

Fairly good Co Workers; Good benefits and lots of holidays throughout the year'

Cons

No salary increase or bonus for 3 years; some discriminatory practices.

Advice to Management

Investigate both sides of the story; don't allow preference of race to cloud decisions.

7. 70 hour workweek

I worked at Catholic Guardian Society and Home Bureau full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

experience in dealing with all sort of crises and on going problems

Cons

understaffed, underpaid direct care staff is the downfall o the entire company. these people need to be better paid.

Advice to Management

increase the pay rate from the bottom up. The people on the front line (direct care staff) are the most important yet the least valued. If they were paid more and appreciated more, the rest of the problems would be solved. as a previous manager, all of the issues I dealt with came from a lack of feeling valued by my direct staff. Had they received a more fair wage for the work they do, the rest of the company would run smoothly.

8. Family Environment

Current Employee - Social Worker in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Catholic Guardian Society and Home Bureau full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is a great room for growth in this company with much to learn. It is satisfying to assist families with the ability to reach their goals.

Cons

Case loads are high, stress level is high. You must have a passion for social work and helping others to be able to handle this job.

Advice to Management

Spend more time listening to front line staff because the work can be overwhelming and it helps when administration stand by you.

Thank goodness this agency does not represent what social work is about-A HORRIBLE PLACE

I worked at Catholic Guardian Society and Home Bureau

Pros

It provided a salary to pay my rent.

Cons

The morale in our office was awful. On many occasions, you would hear supervisors barking at their workers. It was one of the worst jobs I have ever had.

Advice to Management

All of us are on the same team and are committed to our families. We work without overtime, yet the treatment and conditions are deplorable.

HORRIBLE COMPANY TO GROW IN

Current Employee - Case Worker I in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Case Worker I in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Catholic Guardian Society and Home Bureau

Pros

This job has given me nothing to list as a Pro, besides being able to help children. :-/

Cons

I spend all of my waking hours either thinking about work, or doing work. My life has now been tormented with thoughts of what my clients are doing, when I have to call to check up, and how I am going to learn and get all of this work done.

Advice to Management

Senior management has a no-care attitude towards their employees, and they show you this attitude from the start. If this job had a training period, then maybe I would respect and appreciate my work there more. On top of that, they threw me into the job with 20 cases and no working knowledge of what I'm supposed to do and/or say in court.

RSS Feed </> Embed