Catholic Guardian Society and Home Bureau

Craig Longley
1 Rating

Not A Bad Company

I have been working at Catholic Guardian Society and Home Bureau

Pros

Fairly good Co Workers; Good benefits and lots of holidays throughout the year'

Cons

No salary increase or bonus for 3 years; some discriminatory practices.

Investigate both sides of the story; don't allow preference of race to cloud decisions.

If you want to make a decent living, DO NOT WORK FOR THIS AGENCY.

Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY
    Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY

I have been working at Catholic Guardian Society and Home Bureau full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Agency gives you all major and Catholic holy and holidays. You get vacation, personal and sick days.

Cons

You get NO cost of living increases, no salary increases, no bonuses......When it come to salary, the.money you made in 2005 you are still making the same amount in 2014. This agency cares nothing about its employees, most employees cannot pay their bills because of the low wages. The moral is very low.

Stop thinking about yourself and help the employees get a decent cost of living increase

70 hour workweek

I worked at Catholic Guardian Society and Home Bureau full-time (less than an year)

Pros

experience in dealing with all sort of crises and on going problems

Cons

understaffed, underpaid direct care staff is the downfall o the entire company. these people need to be better paid.

increase the pay rate from the bottom up. The people on the front line (direct care staff) are the most important yet the least valued. If they were paid more and appreciated more, the rest of the problems would be solved. as a previous manager, all of the issues I dealt with came from a lack of feeling valued by my direct staff. Had they received a more fair wage for the work they do, the rest of the company would run smoothly.

Family Environment

Current Employee - Social Worker in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Catholic Guardian Society and Home Bureau full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is a great room for growth in this company with much to learn. It is satisfying to assist families with the ability to reach their goals.

Cons

Case loads are high, stress level is high. You must have a passion for social work and helping others to be able to handle this job.

Spend more time listening to front line staff because the work can be overwhelming and it helps when administration stand by you.

Thank goodness this agency does not represent what social work is about-A HORRIBLE PLACE

I worked at Catholic Guardian Society and Home Bureau

Pros

It provided a salary to pay my rent.

Cons

The morale in our office was awful. On many occasions, you would hear supervisors barking at their workers. It was one of the worst jobs I have ever had.

All of us are on the same team and are committed to our families. We work without overtime, yet the treatment and conditions are deplorable.

HORRIBLE COMPANY TO GROW IN

Current Employee - Case Worker I in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Case Worker I in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Catholic Guardian Society and Home Bureau

Pros

This job has given me nothing to list as a Pro, besides being able to help children. :-/

Cons

I spend all of my waking hours either thinking about work, or doing work. My life has now been tormented with thoughts of what my clients are doing, when I have to call to check up, and how I am going to learn and get all of this work done.

Senior management has a no-care attitude towards their employees, and they show you this attitude from the start. If this job had a training period, then maybe I would respect and appreciate my work there more. On top of that, they threw me into the job with 20 cases and no working knowledge of what I'm supposed to do and/or say in court.