Catholic Health Initiatives

Kevin E. Lofton

1. Good Environment and culture

Current Contractor - Test Automation Developer in Englewood, CO
    Current Contractor - Test Automation Developer in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Team Sprits working together and help each other

Cons

Without Business , creating Automation script

2. Drinking From A Fire Hose

Former Employee - Project Manager in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Englewood, CO

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employees within the company!!

Cons

Stressful environment due to attrition rate over the last 18 months.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach.

3. 2 years, 7 managers

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Englewood, CO

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time

Pros

Nice building, nice location, I learned a lot about healthcare and the ACA while working there, and recently saw the VP I worked for laid off with a 2 year severance after being an employee for less than 2 yeas, (pro for him)

Cons

Acquisition of unprofitable MBOs, back stabbing manager told me "You're one of the most technically competent people I've ever worked with, but you have a problem with managing perception". I went from an "exceeds expectations" to having my goals rewritten prior to my review to exclude most of what I'd been working on and completed for the year. Then I was "laid off", but they tried to deny unemployment. (unsuccessfully) Trustworthy, Loyal? Fail.

Working for CHI was the biggest mistake of my career. "Cronyistic capitalism in the guise of a faith based not for profit" from another review aptly describes this snake pit.

Advice to Management

Outsource everything to India, get laid off, take the severance, and hasten the sell off.

New senior leadership changing core values to be financially-based; Ooutsourcing IT had severe consequence

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Englewood, CO

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will always hear that the people make working here worthwhile, but as more and more 'good people' leave for various reasons, even that has changed this past year.

Cons

At first I thought it was just IT since the CIO and new President decided to outsource, but it appears most employees feel they are overworked and undervalued.

Advice to Management

Was major shift intentional when overall policy became recently driven by Finance, which continues to necessitate your decision for layoffs and cost cutting measures, such as outsourcing when 700* employees were let go a few years back? Major repercussions have stressed employees across the enterprise as more is expected for less. HR/IT Management is sorely lacking. Employees are treated as expendable. There are decision makers in Management that probably aren't on-point qualified but achieved position due to political maneuvering. The Respect-Integrity-Compassion-Excellence posted on every wall is expected of employees but you don't see it much in Senior Management.
    Many vendors won't deal anymore with CHI--you at top need not be so indifferent to our general reputation and what your employees are really experiencing. So many good people have been let go or are leaving that CHI runs risk of become a mediocre provider of healthcare that's driven by the dollar like every other corporation that's created their downfall and misdirected focus on cost-cutting decisions--instead of honoring the values your employees once were passionate about contributing to---caring about patients first--not expensive perks for leadership while employees are being driven to work harder while HR remains focused on making their goals that caters to corporate but treats employee and especially contractors as irrelevance and expendable.

Overloaded with middle management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel like I was on the only team that was worthwhile.

I received quite a bit of useful training.

Cons

Every other team enjoys the perks of sitting in meetings all-day, and not actually accomplishing any work. There are a bunch of tenured people sitting in positions, that may be well over their heads. Many people in middle-management and above really don't have a clue over the areas they are over, and are unable to keep up with the meetings their managers and directors have them going to, that they force the "worker bees" to attend meetings in their place. There ends up being everyone is always in meetings, and very little work is actually getting done.

Advice to Management

Look at your promotion/raise policies. I feel like they are sub-par, and unsatisfactory.

Painful Decline

Current Employee - IT Director in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - IT Director in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has good benefits and has a good mission.

Cons

The IT function is in shambles and will continue to decline, as there is a lack of investment in people to fix core processes and operational processes. IT leadership is missing. Fundamental processes across finance, procurement, contracting, etc. are missing. It is extremely challenging to get anything done given broken processes and unhappy people. Sr. Leadership wants to outsource accountability and doesn't support its outsourcing providers. There is constant support issues across the organization and there is only effort to figure out who to blame, instead of how to fix the problems. Leadership refuses to fix root cause of problems and consultants are brought in to evaluate the same problems over and over... wasting money and time. They have lost over 90% of their IT leaders in the last 2 years - this must say something. The problems are getting worse.

Advice to Management

Fix fundamental core processes: Finance, Procurement, Accounting. Build a support structure in IT for outsourcing provider to be successful and appropriately drive what the business needs from IT. Stop paying consultants because you want to hear a different story... Fix something instead... build processes... Stop blaming outsourcing provider for the things you should be accountable for and partner with them. Recognize IT cannot fix problems overnight that have been there for years and are compounded by growth and broken core processes across the organization. You have lost some of your best people and will continue to do so. Many of those that remain, do so because they will tolerate the chaos and have given up on actually fixing it. Expect things to get much worse before they get better. This operating model is truly neglectful. Accept the problems and empower people to fix them, understanding the problems are deep and wide which will require time and support and drive from the top.

Shady practices

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Englewood, CO

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary was ok, annual reviews allowed for small bumps in salary and the benefits are ok for the most part.

Cons

Shady practices, management needs people skills training badly! Health care reform is causing a lot of budget cuts and lost jobs. Company doesn't always uphold their mission statement.

Advice to Management

Train your managers better.

9. Nice culture, good people.

Current Employee - Director in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are really nice. The culture is respectful. People feel like they are contributing to something important. Benefits are solid.

Cons

Lack of growth opportunities. Not a lot of internal promotions to executive levels.

Advice to Management

There are too many priorities so the focus is not really there. There are not enough resources to successfully complete all of the priorities on the strategic plan.

Disaster if you work in IT

Current Employee - Anonymous in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My Co-workers are great. 23 days of PTO

Cons

Mandatory that 6 of those PTO days are taken at Christmas for 2nd year in a row.

IT was outsourced to India 2 years ago and has been in a full on nose dive ever since. If you are thinking of applying for an IT position think long and hard. Processes that used to take days now take months because outsourced staff is incompetent. Physicians are screaming because outsourced helpdesk staff is impossible to understand and can't resolve issues. Two minute calls to the helpdesk now take 20. They are now bringing a clinical help desk onshore because it has gotten so ridiculous. Infrastructure is completely unstable. We now have daily 7:30am calls to discuss outages because they are so frequent. Networks going down all the time, exchange issues weekly, servers being rebooted in the middle of the day with no notice. In addition to doing the jobs we have always done we now also have the job of babysitting our outsourced partners to ensure they aren't breaking our applications and our hardware. Full time job on its own. Have spent roughly 20 hours over the past 2 weeks fixing things they broke. Oh how we miss having technical staff who knew what the heck they were doing!

This place was great to work for prior to outsourcing. Until they bring IT tech services back in-house, run away.

Advice to Management

Terminate outsourcing contract. It has destroyed this place... And not simply because you threw out everyone who understood the infrastructure at CHI, but because you replaced them with incompetent staff. It is frustrating the heck out of the retained ITS staff.

management skills

Former Employee - Engineer in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

management has no people skills, they label employees as having a" bad attitude" when they are the ones who have the problem. They use this management ploy to terminate employees & actually feel good doing it.

Advice to Management

get educated & get some people skills!

Catholic Health Initiatives Photos