Catholic Health Initiatives

Updated January 29, 2015
2.5

Catholic Health Initiatives CEO Kevin E. Lofton
Kevin E. Lofton

Pros
  • Reasonable work-life balance depending on the part of the organization you were in (in 13 reviews)

• Faith based organization with sound mission (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • i see nothing anymore about core values and the mission (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management is not for the employee's who are doing patient care (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Project Manager II

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent learning and growth opportunities. Exposure to many different healthcare technologies. Formal PMO. Great pay.

Cons

Limited project collision avoidance tools. Only short term opportunities for contract employees.

From wonderful to not so much....

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives

Pros

For today .... CHI / Memorial still has a good reputation and does have good benefits.

Cons

CHI's focus seems to be getting further and further away from the Sisters original values. Yes they still post them and talk about them, but don't seem to live them. I have been an employee since 1992 and am find myself more unhappy with the culture every year. CHI now defines a spouse as a "domestic partner of the same or opposite sex" ---- sometime a small change seems innocent and for the "right" reason but when you are a Christian organization you have to draw the line and take a stand or your values will slowly crumble and that is what I feel is happening at CHI/Memorial.

Change starts at the top.

An ok place to work. There is a high turnover rate due to lack of leadership.

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives

Pros

Good health benefits, and some really great people to work with

Cons

Management talks big about values, but rarely follow them. You only hear from management when you do something wrong. The leaders don't really lead.

You should be more present, or visible in the workplace. How can you manage people you don't interact with on a daily basis. The average person would like to see you, and know that you care by your actions, not your words.

Good Place to work

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives

Pros

Staff is friendly and pay better than some other hospitals.

Cons

Very bottom line. some management not qualified. Hospital is very old and run down

Things have gone downhill the past few years.

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is average. Some excellent staff to work with. Opportunities to bid on other positions at other facilities. Excellent Core Values: Reverence, Integrity, Compassion, Excellence. Can get time off when needed if have the PTO time banked.

Cons

Lots good people leaving or laid off. Health benefit coverage less each year. Pay increases very small each year. Impossible to get above average rating which is what is used for pay increases. Not all departments abide by the Core Values. Many jobs go on the website for applicants when the department already knows who they are hiring. They are just going through the motions. They keep buying more hospitals without increasing support staff to handle the work load. In the process of laying off at least 1500 staff right now (Jan 2015). Morale in serious decline.

Too many of you and not enough staff doing the actual work. Speak to the staff doing the work before making drastic changes to see how it will effect everyone, all the way down to patient care. Trust in your staff to do their work. Don't hover over them, proving you don't actually trust them to do their work. Everything is not always about the numbers, but the quality of the work being done instead. Stop telling us to be more positive when everything is crashing down around us and workloads are increasing. Acknowledge the mess we are in and allow us to feel what we are really feeling about it (within reason) without repercussions.

Great Place

Former Employee - Electronic Services Specialist in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Electronic Services Specialist in Exton, PA

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives

Pros

You always knew where you stood. Everyone was treated the same. You could actively work in other departments for overtime.

Cons

When it came to your annual review, only your actions in the second half of the year had any effect on your scores. Your attendance was more important than your productivity

Good for temporary

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives

Pros

Steady hours and decent pay

Cons

Poor management completely ignores any employee input

Listen to your employees

Very pleasant, good atmosphere and opportunities for growth.

Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive salaries, friendly work environment, room for growth and development for one's career.

Cons

Multiple workforce reductions that can leave some employees feeling unsettled.

Work towards finding other solutions besides workforce reductions. Example, the reductions have taken place alongside across the board national salary increases and acquiring additional contracting teams. I believe if you were to poll employees they would choose to skip a salary increase for a year to be able to keep their jobs.

CHI is a total disaster of a company

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None: Unless you relish a chance to brush up on state laws concerning nurse/patient staffing ratios

Cons

Disorganized. No regard for employees or patients for that matter. Why else would I have situations where I have 8 patients, one of which is supposed to be in spinal traction and is trying to get out of bed, another that is going to surgery and no paper work has been done, another who was supposed to have surgery 3 days ago but they were too understaffed to do it in the OR, another that is pulling out all of their IVs, another that has discharge orders but there is no time to go over the paperwork, ETC. At least 25% of our employees, who once loved working at UofL have left since CHI took over.

Pay attention to what your nurses are saying. You are placing patients in continual danger by chronic understafing. The way you run your hospital is not a very good reflection on Catholism.

Good Benefits but work overload

Pros

CHI has good benefits. Some people work remotely, which is a plus. I have a great manager which supports me and understands my workload. For the most part there is a good work/life balance.

Cons

The management team doesn't have a clear direction of where they are going. It's like drinking from a firehose when working for CHI. It's chaos. Many times the projects aren't well defined and the project manager has to take a step back and Identify the scope before managing the project, but you there's still a lot of pressure from upper management to get the project completed right away...

CHI is in the third round of layoffs. For the past 3 years they have been laying employees off. This year they plan to layoff 1500+ across the organization. I understand trying to get your cost under control but they have a bigger underlying issue.

Catholic Health Initiatives Photos