Catholic Health Initiatives

Updated October 14, 2014
2.5

Catholic Health Initiatives President and CEO Kevin E. Lofton
Kevin E. Lofton

Pros
  • Reasonable work-life balance depending on the part of the organization you were in (in 13 reviews)

• Faith based organization with sound mission (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Core Values are not observed, Mangers and Directors have no clue on what they are doing nor do they care (in 10 reviews)

• It will be good if they give Work from home Facility at least once in a month or so (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Although I like my job and co-workers, I feel company doesn't are about workers as individual human beings.

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives

Pros

Good benefits and good co-workers.

Cons

They are more concerned about being the money-maker in healthcare than creating a great work environment.

Don't keep hiring and firing. Turnover effects the care we provide for patients.

Good Environment and culture

Current Employee - Test Automation Developer in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Test Automation Developer in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Team Sprits working together and help each other

Cons

Without Business , creating Automation script

Future is TBD

Former Employee - Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly environment, good co-workers. If you're talented you can progress in the organization.

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy, growing quickly from M&A without strong structure to support and hospital systems take out frustrations on corporate employees. People coasting by when others are working hard to turn things around. Need to trim the fat. Heavy use of consulting firms selling your ideas to the executives as their own. Inconsistency in employment practices and work/life based on area you work in.

Critical scrutiny of every leadership position, identify where the value is and don't use consultants to accomplish it, you gave your own talent that can tell you.

Visionary company. Pressured to succeed in huge undertakings with stressful (near unrealistic) timelines.

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Truly enjoyed being a part of the vision to standardize best practice care across the enterprise.
    CHI has both short term and long term plans to take care of their own via the standardization process. Creating a pool of positional workers that can travel to assist other Markets nationwide in times of need (i.e.- patient care during Joplin MO tornado disaster)

Cons

Inefficiencies created by change management process that was developing on-the-fly. Lack of true application of lessons-learned.

Involve bedside caregivers in planning stages for realistic change management and timelines

Change direction without warning

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Faculty appointment, mentoring and teaching

Cons

They establish several taxes that decrease the salary substantially.
    Our population of patients decrease with the BCBS problem
    When they talk about the objectives I don't think we are talking about the same think and practice.
    The environment feels toxic

More attention to patients and physicians and less to their profit

Better than what I had before

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people and the mission.

Cons

C-level management and their commitment to earning another bonus or pat on the back for out sourcing your health care job over seas.

You worked to get Oblama Care, and now you have it and the decrease in payments from everyone (mainly the U.S. taxpayers). Enjoy your bonuses while everyone else gets out sourced to India, layed-off, or sub-standard care. Nice to know that our friends in India and the Philippines have full access to all of the medical records while you get taken out to dinner by another vendor spewing garbage. If only we had someone leading IT who actually knew how to turn on a computer.

good

Current Employee - DSP in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - DSP in Fargo, ND

Pros

fun working environement, training, leadership

Cons

a nonprofit, faith-based health system formed in 1996 through the consolidation of four Catholic health systems

Not applicable for any issues.

Nice culture, good people.

Current Employee - Director in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are really nice. The culture is respectful. People feel like they are contributing to something important. Benefits are solid.

Cons

Lack of growth opportunities. Not a lot of internal promotions to executive levels.

There are too many priorities so the focus is not really there. There are not enough resources to successfully complete all of the priorities on the strategic plan.

Disaster if you work in IT

Current Employee - Anonymous in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My Co-workers are great. 23 days of PTO

Cons

Mandatory that 6 of those PTO days are taken at Christmas for 2nd year in a row.

IT was outsourced to India 2 years ago and has been in a full on nose dive ever since. If you are thinking of applying for an IT position think long and hard. Processes that used to take days now take months because outsourced staff is incompetent. Physicians are screaming because outsourced helpdesk staff is impossible to understand and can't resolve issues. Two minute calls to the helpdesk now take 20. They are now bringing a clinical help desk onshore because it has gotten so ridiculous. Infrastructure is completely unstable. We now have daily 7:30am calls to discuss outages because they are so frequent. Networks going down all the time, exchange issues weekly, servers being rebooted in the middle of the day with no notice. In addition to doing the jobs we have always done we now also have the job of babysitting our outsourced partners to ensure they aren't breaking our applications and our hardware. Full time job on its own. Have spent roughly 20 hours over the past 2 weeks fixing things they broke. Oh how we miss having technical staff who knew what the heck they were doing!

This place was great to work for prior to outsourcing. Until they bring IT tech services back in-house, run away.

Terminate outsourcing contract. It has destroyed this place... And not simply because you threw out everyone who understood the infrastructure at CHI, but because you replaced them with incompetent staff. It is frustrating the heck out of the retained ITS staff.

Politics, poor management, red tape, sink or swim.

Current Employee - Applications Analyst
    Current Employee - Applications Analyst

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Independent work. Ability to work from home. Usually feel appreciated. Nice people.

Cons

People are put into supervisor and management positions that do not belong there. Poor work/life balance, Understaffed, lack of communication, one day you have a full team and the next people get fired without any insight to what they did wrong so you don't make the same mistake. Ever-changing. Nothing is ever consistent. Also with the mandatory PTO between Christmas and New Year seems very unfair. Part of the reason I had accepted the offer in 2013 was because of the benefits which included a little bit more PTO than what I had before but that has been taken away with the mandatory PTO requirements. Generally overworked. No budget to hire people, no budget to get training on the new products that you are expected to support, many responsibilities placed without any promotion/compensation, very tight timelines, confusion.

Send supervisors to management courses. Communicate to the employees when they are doing something wrong and give them a chance to correct it. General communication needs to increase. Hire more people. Bring the work back to the US and get rid of Wipro - worst decision CHI ever made.

Catholic Health Initiatives Photos