Catholic Health Initiatives

Updated September 9, 2014
2.4

Catholic Health Initiatives President and CEO Kevin E. Lofton
Kevin E. Lofton

Pros
  • Work-Life balance seems to be respected (in 12 reviews)

• Faith based organization with sound mission (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Core Values are not observed, Mangers and Directors have no clue on what they are doing nor do they care (in 9 reviews)

• It will be good if they give Work from home Facility at least once in a month or so (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Very challenging environment

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Englewood, CO

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Nice facility, good workspace and equipment

Cons

Very political environment. Saw numerous people summarily dismissed "for cause", in situations where the person's performance was good, but they were seen as "not a fit". Leadership in the department I was in was very weak and void of true leadership skills. It was a cult of personality and very difficult to create true change because of the politics. The company's executive leadership is clear that they're trying to close a significant gap between operating costs and projected revenue, and it would be difficult to feel secure in such an environment.

Business Intelligence department is not well run.

management skills

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time for more than a year

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

management has no people skills, they label employees as having a" bad attitude" when they are the ones who have the problem. They use this management ploy to terminate employees & actually feel good doing it.

get educated & get some people skills!

Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is plenty of parking

Cons

The "faith-based" culture has led to very passive aggressive behavior. Employees are very unfriendly to new people.

They should replace all PMO management. They are total idiots.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There are a lot of good people, and a lot of patients that depend on CHI success, "CHI, make it happen!!"

Former Employee - Enterprise Architect  in  Meridian, CO
    Former Employee - Enterprise Architect in Meridian, CO

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

CHI is an approximately 19 billion dollar entity, sees more than 11 million patients a year, has MBO regions across the US, 18,000+ hospital beds, most people are very "Patient Centric or focused", good energy from long term employees about working for CHI. I enjoyed working with them, and for my manager, Director of Enterprise Architecture.

Cons

Mass confusion, recent departure of CIO and CTO, 13 months into an outsource to a large global Indian, managed services company, little to no core (IT) knowledge remained due to mass employee departure of core, native, technical knowledge and experience; mostly undocumented current steady state infrastructure, majority of production is in a high risk Tier 2 data center, CHI owns two Tier 4 data centers with failover capabilities, full BC, DR, data replication capabilities.

Communicate clearly the corporate mission, down to the core levels, updating teams on changes to the corporate mission, direction, etc.

Put the $$ in the aging infrastructure, complete the migration of all CHI business critical applications out of the Tier 2 data center into the dual Tier 4, redundant BC- DR data centers.

Hire more people to staff the internal CHI (IT) teams, enterprise architecture is critical to the success and future growth of CHI, and to eliminate large pockets of risk to the patients health, and data.

Large healthcare organization growing and changing to adapt to tomorrow's healthcare environment.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time

Pros

Good benefits and work life balance. Good learning opportunity as CHI adapts to the changes occurring in the healthcare industry. CHI continues to grow its market share, mostly through acquisitions.

Cons

Lack of mid-level leadership driving the day to day operations forward to align with executive leadership's vision and mission. Some serious IT issues for such a large organization. Growth appears to be too fast paced, lacking a thorough integration strategy post-acquisition. Promotion seems based on who you know and years of experience rather than quality of work and results produced.

Consider offering flexible work schedules for National Office employees. Work with mid-level leaders and managers to ensure execution of the CHI strategy. Consider promoting based on performance rather than years experience.

It has been horrible.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are NO good reasons to work for this ruthless, dollar is the bottom line quote "healthcare" company. Management has a callous disregard for the recovery of patients in their myopic quest to take care of the bottom line.

Cons

This company refuses to staff nurses at a safe level. Patients are in danger, I have personally witnessed patients who were not turned all day, medication mixups, critical labs that were not collected, procedures that were put off for days, simply becasue the company refuses to staff at adequate levels. I have gone day after day without lunch, worried what mistake I might make because I don't have enough time to even think I am so overworked.

This is a hospital, devoted to improving the health of its patients. It is not a coorporation that just happens to be a hospital.

Was on of the unexpected lay-offs but would go back in a heartbeat

Former Employee - Resource Analyst  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Resource Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance is very valued. Sure at times you work over 40 but for the most part it is not much over 40.
    Insurance is excellent and they always give you chances to lower even more
    PTO is good
    I really enjoyed the people.

Cons

They made us take mandatory PTO last December
    Lay-offs never fun for anyone and more coming.

Work on how lay-offs happen. I didn't expect it but everyone on my team was worried for a couple days, which was not necessary. It was announced Monday in an EPMO meeting and then team members were taken into conference rooms the rest of the week.

OUTSOURCED

Current Employee - Meditech User Access  in  Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Meditech User Access in Englewood, CO

Pros

The company offerED excellent salary, family type environment. Great room to advance. The work was challenging, rewarding, and fun.

Cons

Executives. They have to be the biggest, greediest, idiots someone could have to under. After being ridiculed by a senior VP, we found out all tech services was getting outsourced to a US based company, which was actually based in Bangalore, INDIA. Not to competent, pleasant, skilled, or intelligent foreigners, but to completely the opposite. The money they expected to save by firing all of us, should have been re-invested in us, to make the company better off than what it was.

You've made your bed. I hope, for the sake of the thousands of employees you don't care about, that your poor decision making won't lead to the company going under. Wasn't life easier under the nuns?

Not for the faint hearted.

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives

Pros

Good pay and very rewarding.

Cons

DSPs are not appreciated yet they are the back bone of the company. Very hard to advance.

Give meritocracy a chance. Appreciate the DSPs.

It was good while it lasted

Former Employee - Technical Analyst  in  Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Englewood, CO

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work Life balance, PTO accurals, there wherea lot of good people, there are few left who know whot to get anything done.

Cons

low pay, benefits, fake people, off-shoring, lack of leadership on many levels. it appears even the bean counter dont kno whow to budget, none knew what they had in a budget, it changed during the month from under to over and back.

Time for new C-Level management, bring in some fresh ideas, current leadership are out of ideas. Too many knee-jerk reactions

Worked for Catholic Health Initiatives? Contribute to the Community!