Catholic Health Initiatives

Updated January 30, 2015
2.5

Catholic Health Initiatives CEO Kevin E. Lofton
Kevin E. Lofton

Pros
  • Reasonable work-life balance depending on the part of the organization you were in (in 13 reviews)

• Faith based organization with sound mission (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • i see nothing anymore about core values and the mission (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management is not for the employee's who are doing patient care (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Change direction without warning

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Faculty appointment, mentoring and teaching

Cons

They establish several taxes that decrease the salary substantially.
    Our population of patients decrease with the BCBS problem
    When they talk about the objectives I don't think we are talking about the same think and practice.
    The environment feels toxic

More attention to patients and physicians and less to their profit

Politics, poor management, red tape, sink or swim.

Current Employee - Applications Analyst
    Current Employee - Applications Analyst

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Independent work. Ability to work from home. Usually feel appreciated. Nice people.

Cons

People are put into supervisor and management positions that do not belong there. Poor work/life balance, Understaffed, lack of communication, one day you have a full team and the next people get fired without any insight to what they did wrong so you don't make the same mistake. Ever-changing. Nothing is ever consistent. Also with the mandatory PTO between Christmas and New Year seems very unfair. Part of the reason I had accepted the offer in 2013 was because of the benefits which included a little bit more PTO than what I had before but that has been taken away with the mandatory PTO requirements. Generally overworked. No budget to hire people, no budget to get training on the new products that you are expected to support, many responsibilities placed without any promotion/compensation, very tight timelines, confusion.

Send supervisors to management courses. Communicate to the employees when they are doing something wrong and give them a chance to correct it. General communication needs to increase. Hire more people. Bring the work back to the US and get rid of Wipro - worst decision CHI ever made.

Disaster if you work in IT

Current Employee - Anonymous in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My Co-workers are great. 23 days of PTO

Cons

Mandatory that 6 of those PTO days are taken at Christmas for 2nd year in a row.

IT was outsourced to India 2 years ago and has been in a full on nose dive ever since. If you are thinking of applying for an IT position think long and hard. Processes that used to take days now take months because outsourced staff is incompetent. Physicians are screaming because outsourced helpdesk staff is impossible to understand and can't resolve issues. Two minute calls to the helpdesk now take 20. They are now bringing a clinical help desk onshore because it has gotten so ridiculous. Infrastructure is completely unstable. We now have daily 7:30am calls to discuss outages because they are so frequent. Networks going down all the time, exchange issues weekly, servers being rebooted in the middle of the day with no notice. In addition to doing the jobs we have always done we now also have the job of babysitting our outsourced partners to ensure they aren't breaking our applications and our hardware. Full time job on its own. Have spent roughly 20 hours over the past 2 weeks fixing things they broke. Oh how we miss having technical staff who knew what the heck they were doing!

This place was great to work for prior to outsourcing. Until they bring IT tech services back in-house, run away.

Terminate outsourcing contract. It has destroyed this place... And not simply because you threw out everyone who understood the infrastructure at CHI, but because you replaced them with incompetent staff. It is frustrating the heck out of the retained ITS staff.

Mission and Vision hampered by Politics

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives (more than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable work-life balance depending on the part of the organization you were in. For those who can make a connection to the mission of saving lives, this can be a rewarding part of the job. Somewhat difficult to do at corporate where you may never see a medical facility unless you are a patient.

Cons

CHI corporate operates under an organizational structure that would be unrecognizable to almost anyone coming from the outside. This dysfunctional setup creates a highly politicized environment as leaders in the organization are constantly trying to define roles for their teams and carve out responsibilities from other teams. The environment is so conflict adverse that healthy conflict is subverted and becomes venomous.

Take a close look at how the national office is organized. There seems to be a lot of redundant work taking place across teams.

CIRI arm of CHI. Has it's own CEO & Directors separate from CHI.

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (more than a year)

Pros

(This review is for CIRI which is almost a company within CHI & not a review of CHI at large). Health benefits are great. Some truly outstanding co-workers. People care about each-others well-being.

Cons

(This review is for CIRI which is almost a company within CHI & not a review of CHI at large). There is no operational or overall program management. What this results in is ever changing priorities that divert very limited staff resources. It's an organization that has pinpointed areas that need fixed but never allocates resources to fixing it. Adding to the issue is that about 70% of CIRI leadership does not seem to have the business experience to successfully manage what is really a start-up. Expect little direction or direction from multiple directors that are competing priorities. Finally, pay seems to be roughly 5-10k under the average for the region.

One overall CHI con is employees are now forced to use their PTO for the days between Christmas and New Years. This affects trips and vacations during the year because your allotment of days is reduced by 3-6 days a year.

Stop growing until current issues are resolved and it can be proven that we can effectively manage the current capacity; hire more staff; fire the handful of staff & leadership that are hurting the organization and bring in someone who can control & have overall operational oversight of resource allocation.

Review of Catholic Health Initiatives

Former Employee - Project Manager I in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Project Manager I in Denver, CO

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Faith based company that give training, especially in the area of project management PDUs. Co-workers are very good to get along with.

Cons

CHI seems to have high turnover which seems to happen in these types of health care situations. More a function of where the industry is than their organization.

Invest in keeping people on either contract or adding full-time.

Very Good Company

Current Employee - Automation Test Engineer in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Automation Test Engineer in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Good Work culture, Work timings, Leader Ship., Facilities. Good Growth Skills. I will never miss an opportunity to work with

Cons

There is no work at Home facility at CHI. It will be good if they give Work from home Facility at least once in a month or so.

none

The company has a good mission statement, pays well and has good benefits.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company has a good mission statement, pays well and has good benefits

Cons

Core Values are not observed, Mangers and Directors have no clue on what they are doing nor do they care. Managers are untruthful to suit their own agenda. There is not enough synergy, positive energy, team work or friendliness.

Very much a cult or clique environment where the old school does not want new fresh ideas even though the strategy is innovation and accountability. It's all lip service. They actually target to squeeze out progress. Workers from other depressed states where CHI is the only good paying employer will stab you in the back. I saw one employee that the manager raved about come in from out of state to work and all he did was play video games on his company issued phone all day. He was then promoted as he was a friend of the manager. Favoritism is off the charts in this organization.

The management team have no people skills, they label employees as having a" bad attitude" when they are the ones who have the problem. They use this management ploy to terminate employees & actually feel good doing it.

Lack of mid-level leadership driving the day to day operations forward to align with executive leadership's vision and mission. Some serious IT issues for such a large organization. Growth appears to be too fast paced, lacking a thorough integration strategy post-acquisition. Promotion seems based on who you know rather than what you know.

Hire real vested executives and managers rather than contractors.

Mercy Medical Center CHI Hospital in Williston, ND

Former Employee - Physician in Williston, ND
    Former Employee - Physician in Williston, ND

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of variety in clinical challenges

Cons

Standard of care appears to be centered right at mediocre and anyone exceeding that level of care is summarily driven away by the incompetent or uncaring long standing providers. There is very little concern for the well being of patients. During my tenure there were over a dozen very good physicians who left after abuse from the old timers. The hospital leadership sees nothing wrong with a physician b wing abusive to nurses, humiliating them, blaming them for his errors, hurting patients, and in general being a disruptive force within the organization. Nurses are not respected and are not recognized for their efforts.

Bring in outside experts to investigate what is really going on with your medical staff and take out the dangerous doctor who will do more harm than good.

Don't work for CHI. The healthcare market is hot, leave while you can.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some select amazing and highly skilled colleagues. Sadly, I don't think they will be able to make a difference and their skills will be wasted.

Cons

Human resources abuses power manipulating management to support their own political agendas. Management's opinions and 'facts' change with the way the wind blows to protect their own jobs. Leadership is the poorest I have ever seen; incredibly disingenuous and passive aggressive. The culture is a cross between being in a 'cult' and being back in high school. While the rhetoric is innovation and progress, it is all lip services. The protective instinct is to squeeze out progress to maintain status quo.

Hold yourself to the standards you preach and expect of others. Leave the company so others who are qualified and truely care can make difference for patients.

Catholic Health Initiatives Photos