Catholic Health Initiatives

Catholic Health Initiatives Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Catholic Health Initiatives President and CEO Kevin E. Lofton

Kevin E. Lofton

Pros
  • Work-Life balance seems to be respected (in 12 reviews)

• Faith based organization with sound mission (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Core Values are not observed, Mangers and Directors have no clue on what they are doing nor do they care (in 9 reviews)

• It will be good if they give Work from home Facility at least once in a month or so (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

St Peter Principle

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsBest reason to work there is to get experience in healthcare. And if you want to see what it's like to work in an organization that claims to be christian. Great experience finding out what work at a hypocritical organization is like. Honeymoon's over very quickly if you have good skills and experience. Great place if you have few skills have no experience sorting through smoke and mirrors. BELIEVE the negative reviews. The positive reviews must come from hospitals int he system and not national office.

ConsWitness the St. Peter Principle in action. It is just the peter principle with a supposedly christian theme pounded in constantly that the company adheres to reverence, integrity, compassion and excellence. Might be true for the care delivered. Certainly NOT TRUE on how employees are treated, especially in IT. Managers bully and get by with it. Good employees worked to the core and never rewarded. Only Director or above get more than cost of living, even though asked to take on more and more responsibility. And you will hear thank you constantly, but that's it, just the words.

Advice to Senior ManagementInternal reviews keep pointing out that management needs to walk the walk it talks. But management knows they are all saints. So they give little credence to employee reviews. HR is gutless.

Lowest job on the grid and they treat you like it

Kitchen-food Service-cafe (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsGetting harder to think of any...good pto time and insurance

ConsBeing short staffed almost everyday because they cant find people to hire once pay is discussed...when they do hire the person usually quits after a few days because its not worth it...leads that sit in their office reading wowt or looking for homes, even after being asked for help when we cant keep up because of being short staffed...calling out sick is a nightmare...favoritism is off the charts...i see nothing anymore about core values and the mission...its all about the numbers now...unfairness and laziness especially when it comes to management

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to your employees

Just took over for St Lukes and changes in progress. Saying no major changes ahead but still skeptical.

Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsMarket salary surveys every 6 months. Increases as necessary. Good people to work with. Happy patients.

ConsLack of communication between changes occurring and staff. Have to hear news around the water cooler. Nepotism in some departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport employees with upcoming changes.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dissapointing

ProsCo-workers are helpful and easy to work with. Managers are not overbearing or micromanaging. Work-Life balance seems to be respected. No issues in getting time off when needed.

ConsA lot of managers who do not really know what they are doing. Political infighting. A lot of passive-aggressive behavior from all sides. Morale seems to be in decline. Most people seem to be confused, while the company grows like crazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold managers accountable for results, from the CEO down. Go beyond catch-phrases and make values meaningful to the workforce

Fairly Chaotic

ProsThere are many opportunities for entry at CHI. Reasonable starting compensation. Very good at verbally recognizing team member achievements.

ConsCompany outsourced many key ITS personnel without first verifying overseas replacements are able to adequately cover their responsibilities, leading to chaos and terrible service. There seems to be limited meaningful team-to-team coordination as a whole. The wide integration of prayer and religion into a modern, equal opportunity workplace can be *very* awkward--providing places for people to express their Catholicism in a Catholic medical system is fine and dandy, less so for constantly sending mass communications that assume all recipients are Christian.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not outsource more key team members without a more thorough check as to the qualifications and better integration of their replacements. Could work more on employee retention.

Losing good talent due to disjointed leadership and poor people management

IT Director (Current Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsWork load is light and predictable. Pretty much a 9-5 company.

ConsBonus is low or non-existent because the organization is losing money in most markets. Despite what they tell you when you join. Salaries do not increase much beyond joining. Very poor people management. Either too passive or too aggressive. Mixed messages from leadership means no one really knows where they stand from day to day. Despite claiming to be on the cutting edge of health care reform, they are in fact very behind. Too many ineffective, overpaid VPs and little opportunity for career progression. Health care benefits are average at best which is quite ironic. It takes ages to get anything done here as there is too much process and IT support is very poor. Too much time is wasted in meetings on 'reflections'. Overall a pretty toxic environment to work within and to be honest not worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire WIPRO. Implement management training for all VPs and Directors and take them out of leadership positions if they don't want to manage people correctly.

Not much to know

Desktop Administrator (Former Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsThe people I worked with were a pleasure. Always happy to see me, always willing to give me time to fix the problem they had. I have no complaints about my peers

ConsIt was a contract job through Wi-Pro, and the 'rules of engagement' as it were, seemed to change nearly daily. Our job expectations, reporting, and everything in between changed nigh constantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake up your mind!

Caring environment

ProsRefreshing faith-based organization that values diversity

ConsIt is very collaborative which leads to slow actions

Organization that is going down hill.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsGood start for graduating nurses. Good initial training.

ConsMaking you find people to work your weekends if going on FMLA, and, working extra weekends after you return. Not allowing you to leave for unpaid lunch. Large Corporation paying high management salaries and cutting to the bone the staff. Morale is bad because of cutbacks, hokey catch phrases and fakey "customer service" gimmicks.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere is the old St. Elizabeth where we cared about patients and staff?

Good experience in an ever-changing environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsWorked with many good people. Worked under good management. Always felt there was an open door policy. The company had strong core values and an important mission.

ConsTypical IT hazard...I was outsourced. In the end, it seemed as though the IT side was being handed over to a good company, although I still think it was wrong (and caused too much unnecessary turmoil) to outsource a large part of a HOSPITAL ORGANIZATION'S I.T. area to overseas workers. On top of that, there were some "good ol' boy" networks there that kept people from moving forward. Even worse is that that kept the company as a whole from progressing.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs I.T. management has changed since I was outsourced, there's not much to be said. In the grand scheme of things, there are still some "good ol' boy" networks there that need to be broken up. It gets in the way of true progress. Also, for the new IT management, listen to your employees and actually use the ones who do the work and show potential. If some people aren't carrying their load, work with them to get better. If they still can't cut it, don't penalize everyone else by making THEM pick up the slack...take care of the person who isn't working out. If you pigeon-hole people, how will you ever get their best?

Worked for Catholic Health Initiatives? Contribute to the Community!