Catholic Health Services of Long Island

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014
2.5

Alan D. Guerci, MD

Community hospital with focus on patient satisfaction

Current Employee - Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialist  in  Bethpage, NY
    Current Employee - Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialist in Bethpage, NY

I have been working at Catholic Health Services of Long Island full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Supportive Management with focus on individual emplyee

Cons

Location is far from my home

Catholic in name only

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Catholic Health Services of Long Island

Pros

Your ability to help patients and make a difference in their lives as a health care provider. This is our calling.

Cons

A VERY PUNITIVE place to work. You constantly have to watch your back because you have no friends here at all.... PERIOD!!

To much bullying of your employees. GOOD, CARING employees walk around in fear of management. That is NOT the way to run a health care institution.

Manager

I have been working at Catholic Health Services of Long Island

Pros

Staff is wonderful, hard working and talented

Cons

Administration is out of touch

Get to know staff

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Strategic Issues/Short-term Solutions

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

Pros

Some of the most dedicated employees that I have ever worked with. They truly care about patients and the quality of care they provide.

Cons

Salt mine mentality on the part of management - inadequate office space, out of date equipment, and lack of efficiency.
    VPs from hospitals promoted to headquarters lack the breadth and depth of skills to do the level of work required.
    Inadequate use of external consultants and resources - "we can do it ourselves" attitude.
    Systemness has been a struggle since 1998 merger of the hospitals. Too much bowing to local boards and physicians has weakened the opportunity to use shared services and have an integrated vision and strategy.
    Legacy employment and nepotism.
    Senior management fearful of losing their jobs so they go along with the CEO and the bishop.

Benchmark headquarters SVPs with functional roles, eg IT, HR, Legal, against industry standards in those fields. Just because someone has done work in a field for decades don't expect they are excellent at what they do. Be more cautious that execs are meeting federal and state requirements - use secret shoppers and unannounced checks to determine that rules and records are being appropriately administered.

Can't get their act together.

Current Employee - IT Analyst  in  Melville, NY
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Melville, NY

Pros

Salary at the corporate HQ are pretty good. Benefits are ok. Care at the hospitals is good, people do really care about what they do.

Cons

They have layered their management way too much, too many highly paid executives, not enough employees to do the work. Now they are back pedaling, re-org after re-org. Seem to be rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. They claim to be laying off the highly paid execs, but are just shifting them around. Salaries in the hospitals and other entities are not too great.

Stop shuffling and layering. Streamline, get rid of the bloat at the top and concentrate on caring for the people who are paying your salary.

Too many things are taken away and nothing is giving

Current Employee - Provider Credentialing
    Current Employee - Provider Credentialing

I have been working at Catholic Health Services of Long Island full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I can't give any, except I have a job.

Cons

Where do I start, first the cooperate office is far from all the hospitals they are affiliated with, so if your job was transferred there be prepared to drive. Second, the company leaders "higher management" will tell you that you are doing a great job and they are happy you are apart of the team, but in the end we will not be giving a raise. The benefits suck.....you can only go to physicians that are affiliated with CHS. And you can't go to an out patient clinic if CHS don't own it. I found that out $3500 later. The people in the office aren't friendly and there isn't any proper security. Someone had their wallet stolen out of their pocketbook.

Stop taking perks away from your employees. If you really cared about the people that makes CHS run, give us a darn raise. You can take the money you spend on that stupid employee appreciate day and show it to us in our checks.

Managers receive no HR training...open discrimination and law violations

I worked at Catholic Health Services of Long Island for more than 5 years

Pros

great benefits and time off; some wonderful people to work with

Cons

unfair salaries, do not follow HR laws, nepotism, no reward for excellent service, too many gossips, no repercussions for employees who do not do their jobs

train those who manage others HOW to be managers and promote based on skills and qualifications instead of just seniority and phony personalities

Desktop Analyst

Former Employee - Desktop Analyst
    Former Employee - Desktop Analyst

I worked at Catholic Health Services of Long Island full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company gives you 4 weeks vacations a year, also 9 National holidays and 4 personal days, and some sick days. The good things is that if you have a family they offer great health benefit, which also cover dental. The company also pay on time and the working environment is clean.

Cons

The company has lack of leadership from the management. Manager often cares about how they can advance while they play their role in the company politic. They don't operate the true potential of the technology. Senior manager often has no knowledge about the current technology. All staffs are basically on your own to take care any issue they facing. Lack of positive energy in the company, there is no team work between each departments. There is no goal or annual plan in the department, senior management usually change their direction right after they made their decision. Lack of promotion opportunity.

Please hire manager who knows the current technology to manage the millions dollars operation.

Good company stumbling through a transition period.

I have been working at Catholic Health Services of Long Island

Pros

Company actually stands by values. Provides a lot of charity health care. Looks out for disaster effected employees. Large and widely spread throughout Long Island. Cares about employees...

Cons

...that being said, the organization is currently in transition as it has remodeling and combined many of its entities. Many people assured they had nothing to worry about, that it would be a quick and pleasant process. Complete opposite, many people left in dark, worrying about their jobs.

With much competition in health care on LI, follow through on promises and reassurances to retain valuable employees. Some things done so well and some things done so oddly wrong.

the church needs to grow and change

Current Employee - Office Manager  in  Rockville Centre, NY
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Rockville Centre, NY

I have been working at Catholic Health Services of Long Island

Pros

Being able to help others. People in need & families who want to give there children a background in their religion. Also to have teach the children to receive the sacraments. Job is flexible, so it's a good place to work if you have young children. Being able to pray with the people you work with.

Cons

Always being made to feel that your salary and benefits are taking away from the church, so you should be grateful and not ask for anything more. Feeling that the only time you hear from the leaders is when they want to give negative feedback.

to listen. to realize that people who work for the church are doing so because of what they believe & not just draining the coffers of the church.

Worked for Catholic Health Services of Long Island? Contribute to the Community!