Catholic University Reviews

1. Event Manager - Athletics

Current Employee - Event Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Event Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Catholic University part-time

Pros

Great atmosphere, the people are amazing. Passion and love of the school are qualities every employee holds.

Cons

Athletic facilities are dated - lack of monetary resources.

2. Good place to start

I have been working at Catholic University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, lots of time off, and a very good retirement program. Good place to get started in an administrative career.

Cons

There are few opportunities for growth so it is easy to get stuck professionally. Byzantine administrative structure and practice.

Advice to Management

Devote the entire university to alumni and advancement outreach.

3. Academic Records

I worked at Catholic University

Pros

Cordial work environment, attractive campus, and reasonable workload. Working with students can be rewarding and there are often interested events on campus.

Cons

The food is pretty poor. Also, like many Universities in the DC area right now they are in a tight spot financially.

Advice to Management

Put more effort into expanding recruiting beyond Catholic centers in the northeastern U.S. There are plenty of other areas that haven't been sufficiently targeted.

5. Avoid the Latina bosses in the business school

I have been working at Catholic University

Pros

I belong to a department that is growing a lot like the school of business and economics, so it's great.

Cons

The students and co-workers are very nice. But the Latina professors running the Masters program in economics are doing a poor job and are very unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Find a way to eliminate bad people managing the programs, even if they have tenure.

6. Confused and non-strategic administration.

I have been working at Catholic University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus, lovely professors, growing community.

Cons

Skill is under-valued; low pay means most competent administrators leave quickly; administration makes very short-sighted and non-strategic decisions, such as eliminating positions but not clearly distributing old responsibilities, leaving the entire school in a lurch. Board of Trustees cares far more about Catholic-ness of the University than the effectiveness of its operations.

Advice to Management

Look over the operations of the University and try to make sure your very basic functions are taken care of; articulate your growth strategy clearly to the faculty and administration.

7. Wonderful institution, unfortunately currently leadership stinks

Current Employee - Faculty in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Faculty in Washington, DC

I have been working at Catholic University

Pros

Have worked at CUA for almost 2 decades. CUA is a nice small community with wonderful students, staff, and faculty. Most everyone cares for the institution which is truly a gem amongst DC universities. Beautiful campus. Serene.

Cons

Unfortunately, the president and upper administration don't really know what they're doing and are really driving the institution into a downward spiral. Times are tough everywhere, but the leadership doesn't really have a clue how to get the institution moving forward. With a little vision and strategic planning, it wouldn't take much to move things in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Leadership is about building the institution up and creating vision and executing a plan. After 5 years of being a president, it would seem there's enough time to develop a vision... and a plan. Also, while the rest of the university is going through austerity, it would be nice for the leaders to also take some of the medicine being passed around.

8. I was the Editorial Assistant in the Public Affairs Office at Catholic University. I learned a lot about writing as a j

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Catholic University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot, and was given many hands on projects of my own to do. Very good if looking into a journalism career in the future! This position was part time and also paid which was great for being able to work multiple jobs to not only earn experience within a field, but also earn money over the summer.

Cons

A lot of writing involved, most of which was not incredibly exciting. I enjoyed the program a lot, however realized journalism was not my thing. The job could sometimes get redundant a bit boring.

Advice to Management

Great job on the intern position, I really did enjoy it! I learned a lot, and also felt like I made connections with the people within the office. They provided great opportunities for the future regarding another internship, yet also very helpful in moving to a different job in providing references. Thank you!

9. A wonderful school to work for.

Current Employee - PhD Graduate Student in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - PhD Graduate Student in Washington, DC

I have been working at Catholic University

Pros

Rewarding work. Great benefits. Time off.

Cons

Unfortunately, the school is in DC.

Advice to Management

n/a

10. They are terrible - no sense of loyalty to their employees

I worked at Catholic University

Pros

Professors and lower level staff share a passion for the students.

Cons

I've seen co workers who've worked at CUA for 25 years get fired with the current management. No job is safe.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring six figure vice presidents and focus on improving the foundation

11. Lack of leadership in a small community

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Catholic University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

So many days off with pay. Half day Fridays during the summer. DC location. Beautiful campus.nice retirement package.

Cons

Pay. No raises for the past two years. Directors that don't know how to manage, saying things like "I don't need to know what you do to manage you.". NO checks and balances within the leadership and their spending, meanwhile jobs are being cut and a president who is not in-touch with reality. High employment turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the current regime. Have directors that know how to be directors. Don't just talk about the "Catholic Identity" and "Community", LIVE it.