Catholic University Reviews

40 reviews filtered by
3.6
Catholic University President John Garvey
John Garvey

1. I was the Editorial Assistant in the Public Affairs Office at Catholic University. I learned a lot about writing as a j

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Catholic University part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot, and was given many hands on projects of my own to do. Very good if looking into a journalism career in the future! This position was part time and also paid which was great for being able to work multiple jobs to not only earn experience within a field, but also earn money over the summer.

Cons

A lot of writing involved, most of which was not incredibly exciting. I enjoyed the program a lot, however realized journalism was not my thing. The job could sometimes get redundant a bit boring.

Great job on the intern position, I really did enjoy it! I learned a lot, and also felt like I made connections with the people within the office. They provided great opportunities for the future regarding another internship, yet also very helpful in moving to a different job in providing references. Thank you!

2. A wonderful school to work for.

Current Employee - PhD Graduate Student in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - PhD Graduate Student in Washington, DC

I have been working at Catholic University

Pros

Rewarding work. Great benefits. Time off.

Cons

Unfortunately, the school is in DC.

n/a

3. If you're upright and have integrity, don't work here!

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Catholic University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a beautiful campus filled with lush trees, gardens, and rolling green spaces, but it's a "whited sepulcher."

Cons

The administration is based on elitism, hypocrisy, and a "good 'ol boy" mentality. Never mind that it's Catholic; some of the worst hypocrites grace this place and give the Catholic Church a bad name. The HR department operates on nepotism and who-you-know, and if you don't look like what they want, no matter how qualified you are, you will not be considered. Liars and cheats, most of them! And the good ones get out fast.

Clear out the current regime and fill it with truly compassionate, give-a-damn people who live up to the Golden Rule, and aren't peopled with priests trying to claw their way to the top of the ladder. Add some diversity and humility, then maybe your numbers will improve.

Great place to not work

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Catholic University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

CUA has a terrific tuition benefit for employees and dependents. They have generous paid time off, and a holiday schedule that includes a long Christmas break, and half day Fridays in the summer. The campus is nice and everything is relatively close together. Most of the staff are very friendly.

Cons

The location is terrible. The pay is embarrassing and most if not all of the administrative staff is paid poorly. The majority of managers and incompetent. Manager either fall into that role because they have been there forever, they all lack development, and leadership. Or, a manager is technically good but lacks leadership ability and they treat their employees poorly with zero consequences. Senior leadership looks the other way and does not want to address the issue. There is zero opportunity for professional growth and development unless you take a class on your own.

Adjust salaries for your hard working staff! Deal with the managers that behave badly and treat employees poorly. Listen to what employees want and need by conducting an employee survey. Management must deal with poor managers instead they look the other way. It's demoralizing to employees. Its no wonder staff turnover is high. Provide employee some professional development.

6. four years of experience and have worked in three different departments

I worked at Catholic University

Pros

There are great opportunities to grow and have access to resources. Most people are very pleasant and for the most part, supervisors take an interest on improving programs.

Cons

could improve on training and communication

7. The School of Business and Economics is growing and is hiring new people

I have been working at Catholic University

Pros

It's located in Washington DC so there are lots of opportunities outside CUA.

Cons

There's a lot of politics in the school and people are not as competitive

8. I worked at Catholic University

Pros

Catholic University is a wonderful school. Teachers are very helpful and concern with the success of your future. I would recommend this school to everyone.

Cons

Catholic University is a wonderful school. Teachers are very helpful and concern with the success of your future. They are not many challenges other than commute.

9. Unsatisfying

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Catholic University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

friendly community, great location, good benefits,

Cons

questionable supervisors, no maternity leave????, no set professional development budget

Listen to employees, don't just hire for fit but for competency

10. science departments

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Catholic University as an intern

Pros

people are nice and helpful

Cons

salary is low and there is not enough room for growth

11. Professors are nice but you don't learn too much.

I worked at Catholic University

Pros

Good university, beautiful church, open culture, and lot of scholarship opportunities.

Cons

The management is kind of confusing and lax.