Cato

Updated July 28, 2014

2.4

Cato Chairman, President, and CEO John P. Derham Cato
John P. Derham Cato

Pros
  • Employee Discount and family feel from small community (in 5 reviews)

• Great discount, met some great people, new and trendy clothing and accessories (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They tell everyone they have management potential, but you have to start from the bottom and there is no room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management micromanages everything down to the sku level (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun place to work and meet new people.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager II  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager II in Houston, TX

Pros

The best advantage is that they usually promote from within the company. You will gain a lot of experience in all aspects of the company.

Cons

There is a lot work and responsibility for the pay. Management receives bonuses, but not the regular sales associates. They are working just as hard as management.

Management should start giving the sales associates bonuses for making the budget.

What a family!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, IN

Pros

The group of ladies I worked with were very right knit, they understood that the job wasn't first and foremost that family and personal health were... and so there was never stress about having to ask off for these issues.

Cons

No room for advancement, low wage, and small raises.

If I had ever been given the opportunity to better my position in the company I would've stayed longer than the four years I did. However, a little better pay than minimum wage doesn't pay for college.

Overworked and underpaid!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Augusta, GA

Pros

Discount. Getting days off is easy! Depending on the store manager it could actually be a fun experience or a job from hell.

Cons

No room for advancement if you're in school.
    Drama.
    Petty rules .
    Inconsistent work schedules.
    Lack of trust in management.
    Favoritism.

You don't know everything. Try taking some of the other employees advice sometimes. Be a leader not a dictator. Make working in retail more exciting and less stressful. Offer more hours to part-timers so they actually have an incentive to stay.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overworked, Underpaid

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

20% discount
    As a manager I get to make my own schedule (sort of)
    Very happy with my insurance and benefits
    As a manager, PTO is great compared to vacation days

Cons

I work way too many hours (at least 45) although technically my salary is only for 40. There are ridiculous customer service standards in place which do not appeal to customers. John Cato and his entourage have no idea what its like to work in a store day to day. Holidays are a joke. There's no point in me getting my 4th of July holiday on July 10th. Family time is obsolete to these people. The expectation that a manager is in control of her employees is ridiculous. I can NOT control people when I am not there so why should I be punished because the underpaid 19 year old does not perform every step of an insane secret shop on my day off???? Also, the secret shop method is way outdated. Cato needs to use a different company. The criteria is too specific to routinely pass and secret shoppers are able to use too much of their personal opinions.

Speak your true mind to upper management. If their ideas are unrealistic don't be afraid to say so. (I'm speaking to District Managers and beyond)

I don't want to leave.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

I love the people I work for. My district manager and territorial manager come in often, and I'm not terrified of them like other sales associates at separate stores. They are very supportive of you, and understand mistakes happen and you're a normal human being. I love the people I work with. My co-workers are awesome. It gets a little crazy with the drama sometimes, but its usually nipped in the bud fairly quickly. I love my job. I love to dress up mannequins, get the first look at upcoming trends in fashion, and my discount. :P I love helping customers who just want a special night with their husband, and they want to feel beautiful in an outfit again. I love making my customers happy, it makes me feel like I'm doing a good job.

Cons

With the happiness, does come some issues. I do believe that I do just as much as work as the managers, I put in just as much effort as any manager I work for. So why am I getting paid minimum wage? I am getting promoted, after 10 months of working for Cato, which I am extremely happy about. However, I feel like everyone is underpaid. I believe all pay should be bumped up for the amount of elbow grease we put in. I was told I would get a raise every 6 months, and when my first 6 months came, nothing. I'm still waiting....

Don't be afraid to promote a newbie. Everyone kept telling me that I wasn't ready for a promotion yet. They hired someone to be a manager who ended up getting 2 complaints the first week she worked with us, and took her shoes off on the job, walking around barefoot in front of customers. And you say I'm not ready? Hahahahahahaha!

2nd Assistant manager

Pros

discount
    customers
    my store manager
    my coworkers
    leaving at the end of the day

Cons

Pay
    Hours
    Upper level management
    outdated cashiers
    little room for advancement

Well-paid, poorly-treated.

Pros

The pay is above-average for industry.

Cons

The company is highly-autocratic and controlling.

Treat your employees with more respect.

manager for 3 years full time salary

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

love the staff and customers

Cons

upper managers were not all nice

you allowed a horrible district manager to run off a very devoted employee

10 Year Veteran with Cato. RUN AWAY!!!!!

Current Employee - 1st Assistant Store Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - 1st Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Discount
    Getting a first look at new clothing
    Some friendly customers

Cons

Low pay
    No room for advancement
    Company is full of backstabbers
    District & Store Managers throwing others under the bus
    Unrealistic customer service expectations

John Cato & his colleagues need to go on Undercover Boss. They have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE on how it is to actually work in a store. And honestly, I don't think they care. They come up with customer service rules that scare customers away. I worked in an extremely busy store in Houston. Employees are expected to offer tank tops, count every item the customer takes in the fitting room, check on the customer in the fitting after only ONE minute to see if they "need help with anything". Who needs help after just one minute?!! The customers haven't even tried on their clothes yet!! Employees are supposed to walk up to each and every customer and ask "Have you seen our new price cuts?" Which is BS because the clothes are cheap and half of them arrive damaged or stained.

And on top of that, you get no commission for the customer service employees are supposed perform. No matter how much retail experience you have, you will start at $7.50. And after a year you MIGHT get a $1 raise. It's a very exhausting job. The managers DO NOT know how to train new employees. Nor do they care to train them. Store managers expect the 1st Assistant Manager and even part-time ppl to train newcomers. The Cato Corporation has finally upgraded to online shopping & we received absolutely no training on how to submit orders in the store. Instead they just fax instructions on how to do it. Actually, they fax everything! It's like the only thing Cato does know how to do.

It is not for long term. This not a company that you want to work for a long period of time. I have finally put in my 2wks notice and Cato will never get any of my money until they understand what hell their employees experience. It's not a coincidence, the company has only 2 stars for a reason.

I loved working for Cato

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Attalla, AL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Attalla, AL

Pros

Great discount, met some great people, new and trendy clothing and accessories.

Cons

hours, company does not believe in their employees,

none

Worked for Cato? Contribute to the Community!