Cato Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
2.4

Cato Chairman, President, and CEO John P. Derham Cato
John P. Derham Cato

Pros
  • Employee Discount and family feel from small community (in 5 reviews)

• Great discount, met some great people, new and trendy clothing and accessories (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They tell everyone they have management potential, but you have to start from the bottom and there is no room for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• Backstabbing, no room for growth, low pay and pitiful PTO (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Starting Experience

Former Employee - Product Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Cato full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a good company to start with if you're looking to grow and have experience. I would not recommend for long-term.

Cons

Compensation can be challenging here, as well as stringent PTO and time-off policies.

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Cato full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great prices, great benefits. Customer"s are great if you build relationships. if your management you can kinda make your own schedule, sometimes.

Cons

The pay is very low, lot's of favoritism. policy and rules only apply to those that are not on that favorites list. The regional and regional VP have never worked at our level so they expect the impossible. The regional VP throws a fit over little things, and only likes you and will bend over backwards if the DM gives a great recommendation for you otherwise they just wait for you to leave or pick on you until you do. No confidentiality all the way from HR to the part time level. The gossip is so out of control the DM's can not keep their mouth shut about anything therefore it runs rampant in the store's. You can never go anywhere for Thanksgiving or Xmas, not sure why we do very little business at that time of year. You only get one weekend off a month. The pay for PT is 7.50 per hour, for 2nd asst. 8.50 per hour, 1st asst. 9.50 per hour. manager after 6 years 16.78 per hour and 45 hours min. per week 5 unpaid, and they laugh about you being salary and that they can abuse you.

Run do not consider management with Cato if you have a Family or a life. Cato needs to raise the pay for all associates or the store manager will be working by herself. We can't even compete with the fast food restaurants.

Fun place to work and meet new people.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager II in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager II in Houston, TX

I worked at Cato full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best advantage is that they usually promote from within the company. You will gain a lot of experience in all aspects of the company.

Cons

There is a lot work and responsibility for the pay. Management receives bonuses, but not the regular sales associates. They are working just as hard as management.

Management should start giving the sales associates bonuses for making the budget.

What a family!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Cato part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The group of ladies I worked with were very right knit, they understood that the job wasn't first and foremost that family and personal health were... and so there was never stress about having to ask off for these issues.

Cons

No room for advancement, low wage, and small raises.

If I had ever been given the opportunity to better my position in the company I would've stayed longer than the four years I did. However, a little better pay than minimum wage doesn't pay for college.

Overworked and underpaid!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Augusta, GA

I have been working at Cato part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount. Getting days off is easy! Depending on the store manager it could actually be a fun experience or a job from hell.

Cons

No room for advancement if you're in school.
    Drama.
    Petty rules .
    Inconsistent work schedules.
    Lack of trust in management.
    Favoritism.

You don't know everything. Try taking some of the other employees advice sometimes. Be a leader not a dictator. Make working in retail more exciting and less stressful. Offer more hours to part-timers so they actually have an incentive to stay.

Overworked, Underpaid

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Cato full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

20% discount
    As a manager I get to make my own schedule (sort of)
    Very happy with my insurance and benefits
    As a manager, PTO is great compared to vacation days

Cons

I work way too many hours (at least 45) although technically my salary is only for 40. There are ridiculous customer service standards in place which do not appeal to customers. John Cato and his entourage have no idea what its like to work in a store day to day. Holidays are a joke. There's no point in me getting my 4th of July holiday on July 10th. Family time is obsolete to these people. The expectation that a manager is in control of her employees is ridiculous. I can NOT control people when I am not there so why should I be punished because the underpaid 19 year old does not perform every step of an insane secret shop on my day off???? Also, the secret shop method is way outdated. Cato needs to use a different company. The criteria is too specific to routinely pass and secret shoppers are able to use too much of their personal opinions.

Speak your true mind to upper management. If their ideas are unrealistic don't be afraid to say so. (I'm speaking to District Managers and beyond)

2nd Assistant manager

I have been working at Cato part-time (less than an year)

Pros

discount
    customers
    my store manager
    my coworkers
    leaving at the end of the day

Cons

Pay
    Hours
    Upper level management
    outdated cashiers
    little room for advancement

I don't want to leave.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Cato part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the people I work for. My district manager and territorial manager come in often, and I'm not terrified of them like other sales associates at separate stores. They are very supportive of you, and understand mistakes happen and you're a normal human being. I love the people I work with. My co-workers are awesome. It gets a little crazy with the drama sometimes, but its usually nipped in the bud fairly quickly. I love my job. I love to dress up mannequins, get the first look at upcoming trends in fashion, and my discount. :P I love helping customers who just want a special night with their husband, and they want to feel beautiful in an outfit again. I love making my customers happy, it makes me feel like I'm doing a good job.

Cons

With the happiness, does come some issues. I do believe that I do just as much as work as the managers, I put in just as much effort as any manager I work for. So why am I getting paid minimum wage? I am getting promoted, after 10 months of working for Cato, which I am extremely happy about. However, I feel like everyone is underpaid. I believe all pay should be bumped up for the amount of elbow grease we put in. I was told I would get a raise every 6 months, and when my first 6 months came, nothing. I'm still waiting....

Don't be afraid to promote a newbie. Everyone kept telling me that I wasn't ready for a promotion yet. They hired someone to be a manager who ended up getting 2 complaints the first week she worked with us, and took her shoes off on the job, walking around barefoot in front of customers. And you say I'm not ready? Hahahahahahaha!

Well-paid, poorly-treated.

I worked at Cato full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is above-average for industry.

Cons

The company is highly-autocratic and controlling.

Treat your employees with more respect.

manager for 3 years full time salary

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Cato full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

love the staff and customers

Cons

upper managers were not all nice

you allowed a horrible district manager to run off a very devoted employee