Causecast Reviews

Ryan Scott

1. A forward-looking company uniquely situated in its space

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

Pros

This is a great place to work. It's a relaxed, open environment where sharing of ideas is encouraged. The company has a great product that is the leader in the space - it's a "need to have," not a "nice to have." Employees are treated well and there are many perks.

Cons

None that I can think of!

Advice to Management

Keep going in the right direction and never lose sight of your core mission as the team continues to grow.

2. Great idea

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Causecast full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The overarching mission of the company is wonderful; technology meets charity.

Cons

No clear direction and constantly shifting concepts for what product to offer lead to extremely high turn over, especially among core staff and leadership.

3. A Net Positive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I worked at Causecast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair-to-competitive compensation and a generous paid-time-off policy. Paid days to volunteer in the community is also a perk. This company has been and probably always will be glad to fatten you up by providing lunch twice a week as well as the occasional hearty breakfast and plenty of snacks on hand. The "Causecast 15" was often joked about during my time there. There's a sense of idealism that pervades the culture. Everyone feels good about the work they're doing, and frustration almost never boils over into anger. The pace of projects is quick, but not unreasonable, and most employees are not expected to work outside of the scope of a standard business day. This is a place where you will be recognized for your diligence, and you will have the opportunity to own your speciality. It's a small company, so there isn't much room for advancement, but management is always willing to hear you out if you propose a shift in responsibilities. Finally, the team is outstanding. I had the privilege of working with a lot of really smart, talented people, some of whom made me reevaluate my standards for dedication and professionalism.

Cons

A relatively high rate of turnover makes it difficult to achieve consistency in the products that the company puts out. Causecast has moved offices at least 4 times since its inception. Maintaining a shared identity with the current cast is next-to-impossible. Divisions within the company have an awkward relationship to each other. It's often unclear how and when to interface with someone from a different department.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of distinguishing between optimistic news and real-life company wins. Failing to deliver on an implied promise is more harmful to morale than staying quiet.

5. An amazing experience

I worked at Causecast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for something that brings more meaning to the world other than just profits and numbers. I think it's hugely satisfying to be in a team that cares about its mission. As a designer at Causecast, I had huge opportunities to take on challenges I'd never done and to work with an amazing pool of talent. The average age of the employees here range from mid-20s to mid-30s, which makes for a pretty relaxed and fun atmosphere. Lunch is provided on Mondays and Wednesdays, and there is a quarterly office-wide volunteer day. The pay is competitive, and benefits are pretty nice--we get every bank holiday off. They do beer/cocktails on Fridays. Everyone is respectful and collaborative. The work-life balance is pretty incredible.

Cons

It's a start-up, and it's ramping up as such, so there are some growing pains, but I think this is to be expected from any start-up company.

Advice to Management

Believe in your mission, and the rest will follow.

6. Overall Causecast is a solid place to work.

Current Employee - Developer in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Causecast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable hours - almost never have to work overtime. Company pays for lunch on Mondays and Wednesdays. Small dev team means means there's a lot of chances to learn new things and grow for developers. Beer o'clock on Fridays is fun.

Cons

No 401k. No close walkable coffee shops or good restaurants. Located in Burbank so it is very hot outside.

7. Gratifying, enjoyable and just an awesome place to be.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Causecast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a number of pros to working at Causecast... The company has: strong leadership, a super driven team, a positive work environment and, most importantly, a big vision for where it can and absolutely will go. The entire staff continually strives for perfection of this mission and you can't beat working with such a driven team. One of the best parts about working here is the value placed on individual initiative. You can definitely go as far as your drive will take you.

Cons

I don't see cons specific to Causecast that you wouldn't otherwise find at other early venture companies. Namely, there will always be chaotic bumps and there will always be turnover. Happens at every company. But if you're willing to take a chance, be adaptable, take ownership of your efforts, and work hard, then these are not cons on your radar.

Advice to Management

"A good boss makes his men realize they have more ability than they think they have, so that they consistently do better work than they thought they could."

8. The Wrong Kind of Impact

I have been working at Causecast full-time

Pros

Great individual employees, noble cause and technology, beautifully designed product & interface, flexible urban/ modern tech workspace, competitive wages & benefits.

Cons

High employee turnover (both resignation & termination), broken promises to staff, poor hiring/firing practices (rumors of termination emails), no consistency in dev time or project timelines, lack of strong leadership from top to bottom, lots, and lots of gossip, lack of communication staff, passive-aggressive management style.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach.

9. Having the time of my life!

Current Employee - Vice President of Business Development in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Vice President of Business Development in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Causecast full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team that is motivated and passionate about the company and the mission. A great software platform that is well received by the marketplace and truly addresses today's business challenges around engaging employees.

Cons

Nothing more than typical startup challenges - lack of some tools and resources but all are being addressed.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage everyone to bring on their "A" game - both current employees and new hires.

10. Great place to work

Pros

The company does a lot of work to create a supportive and relaxed culture. Beer and guacamole on Fridays, sponsored lunches twice a week, and an oatmeal bar the employees are well fed. Causecast also sponsors volunteering events once a quater so it gives employees a chance to get out of the office and give back to some of the nonprofits that it works with.

Cons

Sometimes work can pile up at the last minute creating a busy week we were not anticipating. Though working with management to set expectations is generally easy. In the past, the company's focus changed fairly rapidly, but that has currently stabilized.

Advice to Management

Keep an open door policy so that employees feel comfortable approaching you with issues.

11. Great place to work

Current Employee - Lead Developer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Developer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Causecast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at Causecast and was very sad to leave. I had the chance to work with a great engineering team using some really exciting technologies on a great project. Plus I cannot complain about the amazing oatmeal bar in the mornings. guacamole and beer Fridays, and free lunches.

Cons

Company is still seems to be trying to find their place in the market which has lead to some turnover in the past.

RSS Feed </> Embed