Causecast Reviews

Updated August 6, 2014
3.8

Ryan Scott

An amazing experience

I worked at Causecast full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working for something that brings more meaning to the world other than just profits and numbers. I think it's hugely satisfying to be in a team that cares about its mission. As a designer at Causecast, I had huge opportunities to take on challenges I'd never done and to work with an amazing pool of talent.

The average age of the employees here range from mid-20s to mid-30s, which makes for a pretty relaxed and fun atmosphere. Lunch is provided on Mondays and Wednesdays, and there is a quarterly office-wide volunteer day. The pay is competitive, and benefits are pretty nice--we get every bank holiday off. They do beer/cocktails on Fridays. Everyone is respectful and collaborative. The work-life balance is pretty incredible.

Cons

It's a start-up, and it's ramping up as such, so there are some growing pains, but I think this is to be expected from any start-up company.

Believe in your mission, and the rest will follow.

Overall Causecast is a solid place to work.

Current Employee - Developer in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Causecast full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Reasonable hours - almost never have to work overtime. Company pays for lunch on Mondays and Wednesdays. Small dev team means means there's a lot of chances to learn new things and grow for developers. Beer o'clock on Fridays is fun.

Cons

No 401k. No close walkable coffee shops or good restaurants. Located in Burbank so it is very hot outside.

Gratifying, enjoyable and just an awesome place to be.

I have been working at Causecast full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a number of pros to working at Causecast... The company has: strong leadership, a super driven team, a positive work environment and, most importantly, a big vision for where it can and absolutely will go. The entire staff continually strives for perfection of this mission and you can't beat working with such a driven team. One of the best parts about working here is the value placed on individual initiative. You can definitely go as far as your drive will take you.

Cons

I don't see cons specific to Causecast that you wouldn't otherwise find at other early venture companies. Namely, there will always be chaotic bumps and there will always be turnover. Happens at every company. But if you're willing to take a chance, be adaptable, take ownership of your efforts, and work hard, then these are not cons on your radar.

"A good boss makes his men realize they have more ability than they think they have, so that they consistently do better work than they thought they could."

The Wrong Kind of Impact

I have been working at Causecast full-time

Pros

Great individual employees, noble cause and technology, beautifully designed product & interface, flexible urban/ modern tech workspace, competitive wages & benefits.

Cons

High employee turnover (both resignation & termination), broken promises to staff, poor hiring/firing practices (rumors of termination emails), no consistency in dev time or project timelines, lack of strong leadership from top to bottom, lots, and lots of gossip, lack of communication staff, passive-aggressive management style.

Practice what you preach.

Having the time of my life!

Current Employee - Vice President of Business Development in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Vice President of Business Development in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Causecast full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great team that is motivated and passionate about the company and the mission. A great software platform that is well received by the marketplace and truly addresses today's business challenges around engaging employees.

Cons

Nothing more than typical startup challenges - lack of some tools and resources but all are being addressed.

Continue to encourage everyone to bring on their "A" game - both current employees and new hires.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Lead Developer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Developer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Causecast full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at Causecast and was very sad to leave. I had the chance to work with a great engineering team using some really exciting technologies on a great project. Plus I cannot complain about the amazing oatmeal bar in the mornings. guacamole and beer Fridays, and free lunches.

Cons

Company is still seems to be trying to find their place in the market which has lead to some turnover in the past.

Great place to work

I have been working at Causecast

Pros

The company does a lot of work to create a supportive and relaxed culture. Beer and guacamole on Fridays, sponsored lunches twice a week, and an oatmeal bar the employees are well fed. Causecast also sponsors volunteering events once a quater so it gives employees a chance to get out of the office and give back to some of the nonprofits that it works with.

Cons

Sometimes work can pile up at the last minute creating a busy week we were not anticipating. Though working with management to set expectations is generally easy. In the past, the company's focus changed fairly rapidly, but that has currently stabilized.

Keep an open door policy so that employees feel comfortable approaching you with issues.

Don't expect to be here for the long haul

I have been working at Causecast full-time

Pros

Growing startup with a noble goal in mind. The company possesses a young-minded workforce and the work can be challenging. Free lunches, Betterworks benefits, beer o'clock Fridays, and super guacamole make great perks!

Cons

Causecast products are interesting and ambitious, but ultimately lack a real userbase despite constant efforts to onboard more companies into using them. Management can be difficult to work with. Employees tend to be let go without a solid reason. The lifespan of an employee there tends to be about a year give or take.

Don't Let the Name Fool You

I worked at Causecast full-time

Pros

Co-workers are primarily young and spirited. The company has an image that it is cause focused.

Cons

Poor management/leadership. Very high turn-over rate. Lack of direction, business model changes constantly. Loose credibility when you speak to people about the company and they have heard stories of people being abruptly being let go or how they don't understand what the company does, because its changes as often as staff.

Practice what you preach.