Cavender's

Updated Feb 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James R. Cavender

Wonderful group to work for, the Cavender's are good Christian people that believe, right is right, and wrong is wrong.

Assistant Manager/Receiver (Former Employee) Palestine, TX

ProsGreat Insurance, vacation time, holidays

ConsWorking Sundays, long hours for the busy months of the year, November and December

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, get to know them as a person, not just the next one clocking in

Stressful,bad, wouldn't wish this job on anyone!

Sales (Former Employee) Tyler, TX

ProsDiscount on some merchandise was good.

ConsCompany doesn't care about the people that bring in the $. The stockers, cashiers and sales people are treated like scum, unless that is they are cute and friendly with the manager who is 4'2"but thinks he is 7'. Sales people never make more than 5% commission. They go through employees like water. Definitely the worst job I ever had.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like you want to be treated. Stop the screaming, cussing and threatening. You will never be respected with this attitude, but then again you can't respect others when you don't respect yourself!

Wonderful place to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to work with wonderful people

ConsThere were no cons with the job

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible

Cashier (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsMeeting new customers and being remembered by the customers is nice. That's about it.

ConsThe management is AWFUL. They take two hour breaks but sales and cashiers only get 30 minutes. Even if they work a good 10 hour shift. The sales people steal each others sales. The training is more of a "sink or swim" type of deal. The management has no trust in their employees. Employees are very racist and lazy. If you're not willing to work way after your scheduled time to leave, you're not an "asset" to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take two hour lunches unless you're willing to give your employees the same luxury. Keep an eye on your sales employees because they don't play fair. Don't make your employees work 10 hour shifts unless they request it.

Good job for any college student

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Amarillo, TX

Prosopportunity to make very decent money

Conscommission based, can be stressful at times

Great Company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tyler, TX

ProsWonderful employees, supervisors and GREAT insurance

ConsMy experience has been wonderful

Advice to Senior ManagementThink outside the box.

Good friend's

Sales Associate (Former Employee) South Houston, TX

ProsRelaxed dress code, a lot of hours, relaxed environment, easy job.

Conspoor management, very competitive sales people, management lets go of all the hard working employees and only keeps the ones they are friends with. They'll give you a 30 minute lunch but not two 15 minute breaks, not everyone is treated equal, cashiers will give your sales to other sales people, or other sales people will try (and very often) take your costumers. Sales people work on commissions so you make as much as you sell, cashiers/stockers/receivers will only ever make minimum wage?

Advice to Senior ManagementStop s**t talking about your employees. You're the one wasting your life away at a novelty western store.

cbc

Cashier/Sales (Former Employee)

Prosgood friends and thats about it

Consbad management and organization. not there for you onlu for the money

Would Not Look to Grow

Receiving (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsGood hours, Flexible schedules, employee discount.

ConsLack of annual pay raises, low pay, salary caps.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking your knowledgeable employees for granted. Your customers want someone who knows your products and inventory, more thank someone who wears the clothes. Clothes don't make the Cowboy or Sales person!

Better pay than expected.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Marcos, TX

ProsMake as much as you want. Good college job. Stay busy and help customers and you will do well.

ConsMaintaining boot rows gets old.

Worked for Cavender's? Contribute to the Community!