Cavium Networks

Be The First To
Add Photos

Cavium Networks Chairman, CEO and President Syed B. Ali

Syed B. Ali

Excellent team and peer group

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat product line; the company has an improving work environment and awesome co-works; there are good prospects for the company's future, the overall team is top quality especially people that have been with the company for 5+ years.

Consopportunities for rapid career growth reducing, location of headquarters, semiconductor industry is consolidating going forward with next generation process nodes becoming very expensive;

Great engineering company.

Consulting Engineer (Current Employee) Marlboro, MA

ProsAll engineering work, very focused environment. Great leadership.

ConsOnly two weeks of paid time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter time-off policies, at least to industry standard. Personal growth classes.

engineer i

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prossophisticated multi-processor SOC technology, fast-paced, good salary and RSU's

Conswork-life balance difficult, depending upon project

Advice to Senior Managementkeep attacking growing markets

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Jury's out on this one

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Marlborough, MA

ProsProducts. Meaningful work. Wicked smart people. Everyone can make a difference here. Very lean. Good number of RSU's are given to new hires and annually. People who started pre-IPO are still there. Some cultural diversity but not enough.

Cons2 weeks vacation. Seriously? Benefits not good. Insane schedules. Work life balance not there. Still acts like a start-up company.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove benefits. Why aren't there any females in senior leadership positions? People who started pre-IPO are still there.

Cavium is a great place to work. Workplace culture is casual and the engineering team has lots of talent.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Marlborough, MA

ProsNot a lot of management overhead and redtapism.
    Entrusted with a lot of responsibility, as a result lot of scope to learn and grow.

Cons1. Marketing and engineering teams not always on the same page.
    2. No real perks.
    3. While compensation is comparable, health benefits and 401(K) contributions are not good.

Advice to Senior ManagementGot to improve the incentives and benefits.

You are human capital at Cavium

Senior Hardware Engineer (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsPay is good, about 20% premium over small startups, with RSUs instead of options.

ConsCorporate culture sucks. You are truly human capital to be used up. My next job was like a country club compared to this salt mine.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the talent feel special. Make this a place people want to stay.

It been good

Hardware Engineer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsInteresting stuff to work on.

Conslimited benefits. 401k , vacation etc are limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Great company to work for. Strong and effective management and engineering innovation

Hardware Engineer (Current Employee) New Marlboro, MA

ProsExcellent engineers to work with, competent management and in general a very good place to grow professionally.

ConsNo cons that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing right now. Continue valuing employees. They are the only assets to the company.

Good products, decent engineering, below-average benefits

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThe company has managed to get products out the door that reasonably meet the market needs and win designs. Starting from the early security processors all the way through the current multicore processor, the technology has been world-leading.
    I've been here 9 years, and the work hasn't grown stale - there's always some new angle, wrinkle to it, new technology to learn.
    The executives demonstrated unusual leadership by taking a major pay cut when we had serious financial trouble. Even now, the salaries are reasonable (though the total compensation package is starting to look out of line).

ConsThe process of getting products defined is very chaotic - it causes a lot of confusion with our early customers, our field, and our engineering team as features come and go.
    The benefits are fairly poor, by valley standards. Pay levels are OK, but the vacation policy (starts at 2w, rises to 3w - and that's it) is poor. There's a broad array of medical options, but the company kick-in covers only the very bottom. There's a very minimal 401k company contribution.
    Middle management has been promoted from within, often without any formal training, so you have engineers becoming average-to-worse managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove benefits, and especially vacation policies. Make your employees feel valued, not like they are replaceable cogs.

Good semiconductor company

ProsGood environment, lot of opportunities for learning.

ConsMore focus required on software to support the hardware solutions

Worked for Cavium Networks? Contribute to the Community!