Cayman Chemical Company

2.3

CEO

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Cayman Chemical Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Many smart people here. Casual dress, places to move up. Good vacation time

Cons

Some departments work very hard while other just skate by. There are a handful of people who need to be fired.

Get rid of slackers

Professional Respect and Open Dialog

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Cayman Chemical Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cayman welcomes new ideas and creativity. Not all of your ideas will be accepted (nor should they be) but you will be heard and your ideas will be judged on their merit--which means you should be ready to defend them with reason and fact. Cayman values a straightforward attitude and an independent approach to work. No one wants to babysit you; you're a professional, after all.

Your job can be what you make it. This is a great place to be if you're driven and passionate about what you do.

Cons

One negative point: there's a bit too much decision by committee--but that does show that people are invested and want a say in how business is conducted.

Not everyone is ready to stand up for their ideas, and when I say that Cayman values independence, it's more of a necessity than a perk.

Very Disorganized Management

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Cayman Chemical Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The time off and the casual attire to work is nice

Cons

- The management (ESPECIALLY IN THE GRAPHIC DESIGN DEPT.) is EXTREMELY disorganized.
    - There is a great lack of communication about what is expected of you, your responsibilities, the hierarchy of the company, and very limited mobility within certain departments.
    - I was apprehensive to apply for a job within this department because of previous reviews I read about the company, but did so anyway figuring those reviews were just from a select number of employees. After a few weeks I was in contact with previous employees though LinkedIn from the Graphics department. Come to find out that there is a very long history of this department not being stable, unorganized, mismanaged, and treated very poorly. That was also my experience in the short time I was with the company until I found work elsewhere (That paid much higher and had much better opportunities).

Avoid this company unless you are desperate. Cayman will only hold your career back.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Cayman Chemical Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is laid back and the dress code is lax. Jeans and a t shirt are perfectly acceptable attire. The company is generous with vacation time. Employees start with 12 days + paid holidays. After 1 year employees get 20 days + paid holidays.

Cons

The pay at Cayman is abysmal. If you want to make what your worth or anything close to it then Cayman is not for you. They are stingy with raises and bonuses are literally nonexistent. Growth opportunities are also a rarity at Cayman. The company takes nepotism to the extreme and the culture reflects that. If you are in good with the owner, then you will have a good time there. The company has no plan for entry level employees. They lack any sort of structure for pay and title advancement. Management makes promises only to later renege on them. Cayman has expanded greatly over the past 2-3 years. The company is dangerously overextended and the new acquisitions haven't generated the revenue that upper management had hoped

Treat your employees with respect and raise employee wages. Management somehow deludes itself into thinking they provide competitive compensation.

Unsavory work, decent benefits

I worked at Cayman Chemical Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and dress code; OK insurance and benefits; can be fun if you join the right clique

Cons

The first rule at Cayman - if something goes even slightly wrong, shift the blame to the next person. People who take responsibility for mistakes and failures become scapegoats.

Company is subject to the whims of it's owner, both in projects and in people. If you are an attractive, younger woman your office will be moved closer to his. If he dislikes you or your management you'll be banished to an older building.

Management has no incentive to stand up for their employees because the executives in place are so focused on staying on the owner's good side that stuff just gets rolled downhill.

Some business practices, while not technically illegal, definitely flirt with gray areas.

No room for career advancement unless you know the right people.

Process improvement is limited to exactly what management thinks will work and nothing else.

Distance the owner's control on daily operations, take some responsibility.

What an experience

Current Employee - Chemist I in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Chemist I in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Cayman Chemical Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back environment, Make you own schedule.

Cons

The cons are many. CYA is the name of the game, If you mess up put it on someone else. If you are the leader of a department find a scape goat. Education and help is implemented at a point when it's well past due. Micromanagement is prevalent. Managers sit in their offices and write emails while the lab manages itself, while they try and implement standard operating procedure without understanding the flow of the individual labs. Upward mobility is stagnate within the company and operates more off of crony-ism than actual experience. The business practices of the actual company are a bit questionable legally. Moral is low since advancement is none existent and everyone is worried about judgment from on high, and incompetence is tolerated so long as it can be covered up or is past the point of fixing.

My advice to management is to trust the workers that you hired and let work for months on end without complaint instead of over compensating. Unionize or stand together against upper upper management and stand by the choices you make when it comes to employment. To the upper management crew i would ay to stay on top of the workings of the company instead of constantly trying to find gain outside of the company.

Research and Development professional, experience in various analytical techniques seeking a position as a Chemist.

Former Employee - Chemist in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Chemist in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Cayman Chemical Company full-time

Pros

• Experience in research in clinical chemistry and micronutrient deficiency.
    • Superior skills in HPLC, ELISA, MINIVIDAS, FIA, CL12, ZPP.
    • Experience in the preparation Diagnostic laboratory kit.
    • Experience in evaluating, developed and validated HPLC techniques, methodology and procedures.

Cons

iam ready to utilize my experience and knowledge and start to build new career in your company

There is nothing like an ideal boss

One of the WORST places I have ever worked!

I have been working at Cayman Chemical Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Can't think of any. Wouldn't even give it a star, but had no choice.

Cons

Oh where to begin? Lets see...I can't even put into words how BAD the managers are here. I wouldn't even go as far as calling them managers. They just sit in there office and type emails, and seriously put on there "Done list" - wrote email....really? They literally do nothing and WILL NEVER take responsibility for anything. They will never make a decision on anything because they dont want to get in trouble by Owner. The Owner is one of the main reasons everyone quits. They will put you down on a daily basis, if you have good ideas to improve a process, they will seriously laugh in your face and say "Good Luck with that". They let fantastic employees go on a weekly basis to save a buck or even just because the egos at this company ARE SOOOOOO LARGE, that no matter what job you have, you are replaceable and will be replaced with a snap of a finger. There is ABSOLUTELY NO TRUST in this company. Even though you went to college for many years and spent time and dedication to your career, your judgment and efforts will get thrown in the garbage ever day! So if you want to work here, let go of your dreams, let go of wanting an ACTUAL CAREER, let go of the fact that you mean anything. If you take a job here with an attitude that you will be appreciated, valued, respected, treated as a god damn adult..you will be very sadly mistaken, and you need to find a REAL company to work for. A company that will respect you not just as an employee but a PERSON. I have seen sexual harassment here and I have seen discrimination against women in this company. DO NOT WORK HERE

My advice to Management - there are no "Managers" here, if there were - the company would be profitable, not dysfunctional, and a great place to work. My advice is, get rid of all the so called "managers" and get some REAL managers in there that will actually respect their employees, and take the good and the bad with their department, not shove it down the line to save your own butt - your a manager - you signed up for the job.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Chemist in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Chemist in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Cayman Chemical Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very laid back. Lot of company functions

Cons

Not much room for advancement

Keep employees informed as to how the company is doing

A very odd place to work

I have been working at Cayman Chemical Company (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are ok, and the company has been around for a while. Despite their recent declines in sales, they will probably be around for a while longer and you can probably cover your rent or mortgage with their pay. Casual dress. 5pm everyone is out the door except for a few extremely miserable people.

Cons

Awful culture. Distrust is a way of life there, and yes, as other reviewers have pointed out, upper management orchestrates it all. The owner is a very odd man and supports a culture of micromanagement and 20th century command/control (and females beware is all I can say). People are too defensive to be happy. One worker took home a bottle of cyanide. Seriously, it is that kind of place.

Let people do their jobs, put the owner's energy into something worthwhile for the business and get him out of the way where he is blocking progress. There is a decent practice of promote-from-within, but it often takes the form of strange favors vs. merit based mobility.

Cayman Chemical Company Photos