Cbeyond

Updated December 5, 2014
3.1

Cbeyond Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Geiger
Jim Geiger

Pros
  • Company has strong sales training program and will prepare you for the "real world (in 24 reviews)

• It has been a great opportunity for entry level experience into Cisco and telecom technologies (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Anyone who says long hours has a different point of view than I do (in 28 reviews)

• Every day you are out there beating the bushes knocking on door to door of local businesses (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the best companies I've worked for, with a history of excellent service.

Current Employee - Enterprise Service Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Service Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You are involved not only in your customers and job, but in improving the overall community with volunteer events and opportunities to help outside of work.

Cons

Changes are more frequent than usual, with sometimes having trouble keeping up with who to go to on resolution due to directional changes. Once you have that, however, balance is once again restored.

Terrific culture - Birch has changed the awesome culture

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great leadership
    Fantastic family friendly culture

Cons

Birch is losing top talent in its quest for aggressive cost cutting.

Incredible work environment - like family!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was with Cbeyond for 6 years. Loved it. The company culture was wonderful. You really felt for the most part like you were part of a big family. I met majority of my closest friends while employed.

Cons

The Board of Directors got greedy and sold the company out from under the CEO. Very sad. Cbeyond was acquired by Birch Communications. From day 1 as Birch it was like the life was sucked out of the building. Just heartbreaking.

Birch could learn a lot about how you treat employees and customers from Cbeyond.

Great working atmosphere and culture. The people at Cbeyond are some of the most amazing and hardworking individuals.

Current Employee - Process Excellence in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Process Excellence in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cbeyond as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people at Cbeyond were like my second family. Everyone I have met from upper management, directors, VP's, and even our CEO were very down to earth and approachable. There is a sense of community and a relaxed place to work. Although we had to do our share of hard work and sweat, the culture here is definitely supportive for creative and analytical individuals willing to try different routes to create new products or improve business efficiency.

I loved the weekly lunch n' learns where we were able to enhance our value both for the company and ourselves during lunch on weekly topics from project management, change, and various other topics. CbeyondUniversity also helped my team and I to learn and update our skill sets in order to become even more effective.

Cons

I have loved my time at Cbeyond, the only downfall would be that my entire team was broken up when the company was recently acquired. But that was expected as acquisitions and mergers come with lots of change.

As stated above the personal growth factors with lunch n' learns and CbeyondUniversity proved to be invaluable to me. I have had the pleasure of working with some of the best supervisors in the industry and look forward to working with them again in the near future.

Culture, Culture, Culture

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's pretty rare to find a company that remains true to it's core values through thick and thin. Over the course of my decade at Cbeyond, I can honestly say that a majority of both employees and leadership lived the core values of Caring Relentlessly, Acting Graciously, Leading Courageously, and Learning Continuously.

Cons

Notice that I said "a majority" of employees and leadership. There were certainly exceptions. Unfortunately as a result of the recent acquisition, it's highly unlikely that any of the former Cbeyond culture will remain intact.

Continue fostering a culture that people are proud to be a part of.

Returning Employee "The Grass Isnt Always Greener"

Current Employee - Tier II Tech Support in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Tier II Tech Support in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am wanting to write a real review on Cbeyond as perceived from the employee who thought there was better than a company than one that promoted from within, recognized hard working employees, worked with you on your schedule, assisted in helping you reach your bonus potential, gave you all the tools to succeed and the list goes on.

I left to pursue a "job" at a very successful start up company. Benefits were fantastic, atmosphere was wonderful but it was missing the things that glue a business together. The ability to grow and learn was missing, the passion for the customer was missing, and the "team" environment was not there.The honest truth is the job is not always easy. Job posts sound appealing because that is what they are meant to do. I am grateful and blessed to return to a place that is going to allow me to complete the career that I started.

Cons

My honest cons were my own. I want to list what I complained about then explain. When in Tier 1 I did not like 30 min lunches. In Tier 1 and 2 I thought there should be more formal training. Honestly these werent real company issues. The 1st was a preference, and the 2nd was a fault of my own and many people. Training for work is no different than school. If you dont invest personal time, you will never grow. On the happy note though as I was in my final 2 weeks there was a lot more training available.

I wish I had honest advise to give here. If anything I would have liked to discuss deeper with management what my complete future goals were and set realistic dates to try and achieve the goals. That is useful to motivate employees to achieve success.

Love working at Cbeyond. Love working with the people at Cbeyond.

Current Employee - Learning and Development Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Learning and Development Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work is fast-paced so you are never bored. People are great - they motivate me to get out of bed in the morning:) We have an amazing gym that is fully-managed. We are encouraged to use the gym during working hours, provided we make up the time away from our desks. Cbeyond has also awakened in me a desire to give back to the community by sponsoring days and weeks of service to encourage us "care relentlessly" about our communities.

Cons

Sometimes you have to work longer hours to maintain your sanity when project deadlines arise. It has been said that many times leaders are "building the plane as they are flying it." Sometimes we leap before we look to rush products to Sales.

Top sales people do what they love to do!!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

#1- I love the culture and the employees that I work with.
    #2- This company continuosly trains on the new products that are being rolled out and how to help postion them to prospects. (There are also design engineers that can help support you on appointments and explain the more technical aspects that you may not understand.)

Cons

-sometimes salesforce takes a long time, especially when we have to put together quotes through docusign

None at this time

The New CYBEYOND

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (less than an year)

Pros

AWESOME PRODUCT SET!. They have a full suite of products from Cloud to mobile phones and everything in between. The comp plan is also great!

Cons

Start up environment- those who are entrepreneurs will love it.

Pay to get the best people possible.

Opportunity of a lifetime

Current Employee - Solution Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Solution Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cbeyond gave me an opportunity to learn consultative solution selling as an entry-level employee. The product training was excellent. The daily expectations have changed dramatically over the past year and a half. I am now in charge of my own daily schedule and am free to run my business how I see fit. My sales have improved because of the recent changes in management style. I have met some incredibly successful people that I am proud to call my mentors. Community involvement is quite fulfilling.

Cons

The sales training has not evolved to mirror the actual sales strategy that lets one be successful in this position. Consequently, new employees are often discouraged for the first 4 months. After which, they either quit or are ambitious enough to succeed no matter the circumstance. A lot of the tenured employees are falling off at a rampant pace - probably because change makes people uncomfortable.

We have moved away from hiring entry-level; but, I wouldn't be a national sales leader without such opportunity. Take a chance on a green employee if you see the determination in their eyes. For those that own a successful track record, be a coach and a resource, but let them run their own business.