Cbeyond

Updated December 5, 2014
3.1

Cbeyond Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Geiger
Jim Geiger

Pros
  • Company has strong sales training program and will prepare you for the "real world (in 24 reviews)

• It has been a great opportunity for entry level experience into Cisco and telecom technologies (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Anyone who says long hours has a different point of view than I do (in 28 reviews)

• Every day you are out there beating the bushes knocking on door to door of local businesses (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Beyond sux

Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are no pros to working for this company

Cons

Everything is a con about working for this company

Quit

Dysfunctional, ethically challenged

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (less than an year)

Pros

none that I can think of-they simply cannto execute and they are arrogant and dishonest

Cons

Do not buy anything from them or Birch Communications

Get out while you can

Can Do Will Do Attitude

Current Employee - Anonymous in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Denver, CO

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work anywhere is due to the stability of the organization/company.

Cons

Being promoted without prejudices or influential interference from bias individuals.

To promote without prejudices or influences from bias individuals.

You feel like a glorified telemarketer.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a great opportunity to work with fun, driven individuals.

Cons

Terrible work-life balance and underpaid for the amount of wear and tear you put on your car.

Bad day a Cbeyond

Current Employee - DIrector of Cloud Services in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - DIrector of Cloud Services in Miami, FL

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a great place to work until Birch Telecom Acquired it.

Cons

Within a week of Birch taking over Cebeyond, 350 people were fired without any warning, and with little to no severance pay, this is preview of things to come.

Sweat Shop Labor

I have been working at Cbeyond

Pros

good sales training
    product is good
    room to move up in the company if you can last longer than 6 months

Cons

12 hour days
    worked like a sweat shop
    high pressure sales environment
    buisness model flawed

none

Get the "old school" people out of Cbeyond ASAP

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a ton of training, almost everyday. It's on the technology and selling; if you pay attention you can learn a lot even if you have experience selling. The transition to the 2.0 model should have happened a few years ago because it makes more sense. There is very little door to door anymore, you need to be more strategic in prospecting. We seem to be on a good path, but who knows what will happen when we are acquired by Birch.

Cons

Upper management is nightmare. A lot of yelling at people, clear favoritism, will only train or support the people he likes, doesn't listen to anyone, ever.....just barks orders at us. Intimate and personal relationships with the sales managers is common and is justified by saying "mentoring" them, the list goes on. Every sales rep hates and tries to avoid upper management , but they are still here. Corporate turns a blind eye for some reason. It's just a matter of time before we start suing for all the HR violations.

Start hiring people for management jobs from outside of the company. It's an old boys club and seriously stupid people with no skills get "brought up" (The Orange County upper management came up under old school VP's just because they are best friends). Corporate needs to come out and see what really goes on; we all hear how different the Atlanta office is and it's just not right the branch doesn't even resemble what this companies core values are.

Absolutely awful! There are no words to describe it.

Former Employee - Tier I Technical Support/NOC in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Tier I Technical Support/NOC in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a job. Better than not eating at all (almost). Decent offices. Training was good. Good documentation on the services they provide.

Cons

You name it. This is the most awful company to work for. No common sense. Micromanaged to the absolute minute. Selling T1 lines (1.5mbs) in a world of cable Internet (200mbs). I couldn't get another job because practically every recruiter in Atlanta works with them and no one would hire me because it would endanger their contract. Thank goodness a friend of mine got me a direct hire role with his employer.

I never got in trouble there. Never written up but I was threatened with it. Constantly. They have their procedures that you follow no matter what or they will fire you. No common sense. One particular issue I fixed without taking additional, unneeded steps and wasting time, only to be threatened with a write up and possibly not going permanent. Didn't matter that the client was fixed and had not called back in and it had been over a month since the call. Just one of many, many situations like this.

HR is so clueless that in my exit interview, they were "shocked" when I told them how awful they were and how practically everyone on the floor that I knew felt the same, but were too scared to say anything because they might get a bad name there.

I would rather kick puppies for a living than go back. 8 hours a day, 7 days a week. Kicking puppies. Think about that before you consider working here.

None. They wouldn't listen while I was there, why would they listen now?

WORST PLACE EVER, never work here unless you like to SOLICIT for a living.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cbeyond (less than an year)

Pros

The only thing that made me want to go in was to see the my co-workers who also hated coming into such an awful place.

Cons

I have never wanted to quit a job in my life or hate going into work! MICRO MANAGEMENT. I went to college and got a degree for what? To talk about nonsense every morning at 8am sharp. Be late one minute and get locked out? Does that make sense? No. Seriously if you want to go back to highschool work here.

I am BLOWN AWAY by anyone recommending this place. The office has shrunk from 50+ employees to around 20 by the time I volenterally left. EVERYONE QUIT. More have since I've left.

You got rid of so many of the bad seeds, but there are so many left. What an awful joke of a job. SOLICIT 50 DOORS A DAY is not management.

So what you're trying something new? Your reputation in the industry has become a joke.

Stay Away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Acquire lots of experience, but they won't want to pay you market rate.

Cons

Given the micromanagement, mediocre salary, and high turnover rate, you should seek better opportunities elsewhere.

Stop driving away your key people.