Cbeyond

Updated December 5, 2014
3.1

Cbeyond Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Geiger
Jim Geiger

Pros
  • Company has strong sales training program and will prepare you for the "real world (in 24 reviews)

• It has been a great opportunity for entry level experience into Cisco and telecom technologies (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Anyone who says long hours has a different point of view than I do (in 28 reviews)

• Every day you are out there beating the bushes knocking on door to door of local businesses (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Now Birch Telecommunications

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time

Pros

Opportunity to advance, great opportunities to work with latest hardware and software. Majority of employees enjoyed work and were great to work with.

Cons

The product offerings were too diverse which lead to large development hours on products that never sold. Sales never understood cloud products and most came through Individual Case Reviews. This also increase Operational costs as there was no repeatable model. New software solutions were poorly vetted prior to purchase and many need not meet needs. End result is decreasing revenue vs increased cost and we were bought.

Keep it simple, repeatable, profitable rather than guess, but its too late now.

Merger Hurting the culture

Current Employee - Program/Project Management in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Program/Project Management in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people who really care about staff and customers at the lower levels of the company

Cons

New management is disconnected from culture and making business changes that may drastically impact the customer

Be honest with staff about which groups are likely to be laid off because of redundancy so that we have a chance of retaining some of the critical people inside of the organization

Good overall experience

Former Employee - Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There was good access to modern VoIP equipment. The pay was competitive. Benefits were average.

Cons

Some people moved into management who clearly had no experience and/or were not cut out for it. This caused general dissatisfaction among the people reporting to those managers.

Promoting internally is generally a good idea, but only so long as those people possess the necessary skills. In some cases, it makes sense to look outside the company to fill those roles.

Good

Former Employee - Account Executive in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learning experience, Fun quota trips, good culture

Cons

cold calling, high turn over, not the best product, low base salary

Reward those who are selling

Post Acquisition

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Birch and Cbeyond are now one company and anyone posting an opinion should post it to one site not two!

Cons

Change is always hard but cbeyond staff are not the only ones getting laid off.

the CEO of Cbeyond did not have the company sold out from under him. He had 666,600 shares which is public knowledge since they were publicly held. He voted to sell the company and cash out his stock instead of stay and help stop the cash flow issue they were facing.

One of the best companies I've worked for, with a history of excellent service.

Current Employee - Enterprise Service Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Service Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You are involved not only in your customers and job, but in improving the overall community with volunteer events and opportunities to help outside of work.

Cons

Changes are more frequent than usual, with sometimes having trouble keeping up with who to go to on resolution due to directional changes. Once you have that, however, balance is once again restored.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Sol in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sol in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cbeyond (more than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for driven individuals

Cons

Favoritism towards some unworthy individuals

Incredible work environment - like family!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was with Cbeyond for 6 years. Loved it. The company culture was wonderful. You really felt for the most part like you were part of a big family. I met majority of my closest friends while employed.

Cons

The Board of Directors got greedy and sold the company out from under the CEO. Very sad. Cbeyond was acquired by Birch Communications. From day 1 as Birch it was like the life was sucked out of the building. Just heartbreaking.

Birch could learn a lot about how you treat employees and customers from Cbeyond.

Terrific culture - Birch has changed the awesome culture

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great leadership
    Fantastic family friendly culture

Cons

Birch is losing top talent in its quest for aggressive cost cutting.

Great working atmosphere and culture. The people at Cbeyond are some of the most amazing and hardworking individuals.

Current Employee - Process Excellence in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Process Excellence in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cbeyond as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people at Cbeyond were like my second family. Everyone I have met from upper management, directors, VP's, and even our CEO were very down to earth and approachable. There is a sense of community and a relaxed place to work. Although we had to do our share of hard work and sweat, the culture here is definitely supportive for creative and analytical individuals willing to try different routes to create new products or improve business efficiency.

I loved the weekly lunch n' learns where we were able to enhance our value both for the company and ourselves during lunch on weekly topics from project management, change, and various other topics. CbeyondUniversity also helped my team and I to learn and update our skill sets in order to become even more effective.

Cons

I have loved my time at Cbeyond, the only downfall would be that my entire team was broken up when the company was recently acquired. But that was expected as acquisitions and mergers come with lots of change.

As stated above the personal growth factors with lunch n' learns and CbeyondUniversity proved to be invaluable to me. I have had the pleasure of working with some of the best supervisors in the industry and look forward to working with them again in the near future.