Cbeyond Reviews

Updated October 10, 2014
3.2

Cbeyond Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Geiger
Jim Geiger

Pros
  • Company has strong sales training program and will prepare you for the "real world (in 24 reviews)

• It has been a great opportunity for entry level experience into Cisco and telecom technologies (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Anyone who says long hours has a different point of view than I do (in 28 reviews)

• Every day you are out there beating the bushes knocking on door to door of local businesses (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrific culture - Birch has changed the awesome culture

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great leadership
    Fantastic family friendly culture

Cons

Birch is losing top talent in its quest for aggressive cost cutting.

Great working atmosphere and culture. The people at Cbeyond are some of the most amazing and hardworking individuals.

Current Employee - Process Excellence in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Process Excellence in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cbeyond as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people at Cbeyond were like my second family. Everyone I have met from upper management, directors, VP's, and even our CEO were very down to earth and approachable. There is a sense of community and a relaxed place to work. Although we had to do our share of hard work and sweat, the culture here is definitely supportive for creative and analytical individuals willing to try different routes to create new products or improve business efficiency.

I loved the weekly lunch n' learns where we were able to enhance our value both for the company and ourselves during lunch on weekly topics from project management, change, and various other topics. CbeyondUniversity also helped my team and I to learn and update our skill sets in order to become even more effective.

Cons

I have loved my time at Cbeyond, the only downfall would be that my entire team was broken up when the company was recently acquired. But that was expected as acquisitions and mergers come with lots of change.

As stated above the personal growth factors with lunch n' learns and CbeyondUniversity proved to be invaluable to me. I have had the pleasure of working with some of the best supervisors in the industry and look forward to working with them again in the near future.

Culture, Culture, Culture

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's pretty rare to find a company that remains true to it's core values through thick and thin. Over the course of my decade at Cbeyond, I can honestly say that a majority of both employees and leadership lived the core values of Caring Relentlessly, Acting Graciously, Leading Courageously, and Learning Continuously.

Cons

Notice that I said "a majority" of employees and leadership. There were certainly exceptions. Unfortunately as a result of the recent acquisition, it's highly unlikely that any of the former Cbeyond culture will remain intact.

Continue fostering a culture that people are proud to be a part of.

Great until the Buyout!

Current Employee - Network Engineer Tier III in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer Tier III in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Cbeyond's culture and pool of talent was great. They had good time off benefits and a family feel. A good bit of freedom to either succeed or fail on your own.

Cons

The compensation is below industry average. The buyout of Cbeyond by Birch has presented several problems already. Birch has already completely changed the culture and the methods of Operations and Engineering.

Can Do Will Do Attitude

Current Employee - Anonymous in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Denver, CO

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work anywhere is due to the stability of the organization/company.

Cons

Being promoted without prejudices or influential interference from bias individuals.

To promote without prejudices or influences from bias individuals.

NOC

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time

Pros

Vending machines are pretty cheap, almost everything is 50 cents.

Cons

Revolving door, do not care about their employees.

Great learning platform, awful environment

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative

I worked at Cbeyond

Pros

It's a very fun, challenging work environment where you get to learn with great people. Anyone interested in a career in sales will benefit from the sales training and overall sales environment.

Cons

It's a sink or swim type company. Cold calling is an essential part of the business and this will never go away. You are selling a low brand image product in a completely saturated market. Turnover is extremely high and some of the managers create a toxic work environment.

Sales goals are way too lofty, especially considering only around 10-15% of the reps meet their monthly goals. Create more leads for your reps, it will go along way.

Great company to learn and grow.

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time

Pros

Awesome people, wonderful leadership. Cbeyond is a great environment to work in. I have learned so much from the leadership team and my experiences there. They have an on-site gym which is awesome.

Cons

Definitely fast paced environment and sometimes there is a lack of direction. The phrase "do more with less" gets thrown around a lot.

Stop for a moment and focus. Listen to your employees, they have a lot of valuable insights.

You feel like a glorified telemarketer.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a great opportunity to work with fun, driven individuals.

Cons

Terrible work-life balance and underpaid for the amount of wear and tear you put on your car.

Bad day a Cbeyond

Current Employee - DIrector of Cloud Services in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - DIrector of Cloud Services in Miami, FL

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a great place to work until Birch Telecom Acquired it.

Cons

Within a week of Birch taking over Cebeyond, 350 people were fired without any warning, and with little to no severance pay, this is preview of things to come.