Cbeyond

www.cbeyond.com
Employer Engaged

A great learning experience and training into selling technology solutions.

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It started off as a fantastic work environment, fast paced but very team oriented. The learning was non-stop, there are courses that you can take online provided by the company through what was called Cbeyond University. Also, there were many advancement opportunities, and the commissions were uncapped.

Cons

The products don't work that well. Some of the very basic services worked ok, but any of the technologically advanced services were poorly supported. In the Spring of 2014, Cbeyond was acquired by a company called Birch Communications and backwoods rinky-dink outfit hell bent on destroying everything good that Cbeyond founder Jim Geiger created. Birch's primary means of sales are from POTs lines, the most basic of basic phone lines (POTs stands for Plain Old Telephone, like pay phones and elevator alarms) and have no interest in "Solutions" for customers. They also are very cheap, "nickel and diming" customers with things like overages on long distance, and having too many emails in your inbox They are slowly but surely driving out all the employees that have high salaries, even going so far as to refer to employees as "Cost Centers".

Stop the bleeding

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits. Relaxed dress code.

Cons

Cbeyond was recently bought out by a company that's driven by sales and cutting costs alone without repercussions in mind at a fast pace. This has jeopardized operational functionality and morale.

Take serious steps to identify the current demand for talent in order to keep key position holders from leaving the company.

Dysfunctional, ethically challenged

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (less than a year)

Pros

none that I can think of-they simply cannto execute and they are arrogant and dishonest

Cons

Do not buy anything from them or Birch Communications

Get out while you can

My experience.

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to get some experience.
    Vending machines used to be only 25 cents for any items along with sodas.

Cons

Senior leadership seemed to think they were better than everyone else. Talked a good game in front of a crowd, but if you passed them in the hallways they would put their head down and act as if they didn't see you.
    In order to cut money, they decided to up the cost of snacks and sodas in the vending machines to 45 cent. Might not seem like much, but it was a real shot to the moral.

Loosen up and show the true entrepreneur spirit by living by it.
    Because someone is a good worker, that does not make them a good manager.

Very frustrating experience in communication sales.

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Potential to make a fair amount of money if you can deal with selling things to people that they do not need. Sales rally atmosphere.

Cons

You have to be able to incessantly sell products that you may ormaynot believe in. Coldcalling. Walking your territory all day unsupported until you can trick someone into agreeing to see you then buy something.

Had great ideas but couldn't execute. Now Birch bought them.

Former Employee - Sales Engineer
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Products like hosted VoIP, cloud services, MPLS, managed and professional services all sound good to the SMB customer. Most SMB's aren't used to getting all the options Cbeyond offered.

Cons

Horrible execution. Installs would take months. "Install" didn't mean it worked either. Operations team was brutal.

They sold to Birch who is doing what most acquisitions do....layoff good engineers and employees. The only good thing I can see is that the Cbeyond name is gone.

I learned a lot, but it is a lot of busy work.

Former Intern - Process Excellence Co-op in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Process Excellence Co-op in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cbeyond as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and days off, salary, company culture, you get to work a lot with other interns so it's a fun environment, my bosses wrote my recommendation letters when i left

Cons

Sometimes boring, very repetitive work, not a place you would work when you graduate

Now Birch Telecommunications

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time

Pros

Opportunity to advance, great opportunities to work with latest hardware and software. Majority of employees enjoyed work and were great to work with.

Cons

The product offerings were too diverse which lead to large development hours on products that never sold. Sales never understood cloud products and most came through Individual Case Reviews. This also increase Operational costs as there was no repeatable model. New software solutions were poorly vetted prior to purchase and many need not meet needs. End result is decreasing revenue vs increased cost and we were bought.

Keep it simple, repeatable, profitable rather than guess, but its too late now.

Merger Hurting the culture

Current Employee - Program/Project Management in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Program/Project Management in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people who really care about staff and customers at the lower levels of the company

Cons

New management is disconnected from culture and making business changes that may drastically impact the customer

Be honest with staff about which groups are likely to be laid off because of redundancy so that we have a chance of retaining some of the critical people inside of the organization

Good Sales Training but a Miserable Job and Company

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Cbeyond full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you're right out of college and this is a first job, you may want to consider it. They offer a great sales training program. Use this job as a stepping stone to get the sales job you want. Young culture, weekly competitions, and spiffs. And they have a great advancement program, so if you work hard and do well you'll get promoted really quickly. And by quickly I mean within weeks.

Cons

There is nothing glamorous about this job. Every day you are out there beating the bushes knocking on door to door of local businesses. And here's the thing... the businesses/business owners hate you. Because you're interrupting their day and trying to sell them a product/service they do not want. That someone else has already tried to sell them 20 times. The gatekeepers usually know who you are the moment you walk in the door. The Management team has really unrealistic expectations of their sales reps. They require that you hit 50 doors (business) a DAY and if you run an appointment that counts as 10. So yeah... 50 cold calls a day. Lastly, I wasn't that impressed with their product/service offering so I didn't feel that good about what I was selling. I never felt like I was giving the business owners a valuable solution.

Treat your people like people. Not a number.