Cbeyond Reviews

Updated September 13, 2014
3.2

Cbeyond Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Geiger
Jim Geiger

Pros
  • Company has strong sales training program and will prepare you for the "real world (in 23 reviews)

• The sales model is great for an entry level sales proffesional (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Anyone who says long hours has a different point of view than I do (in 28 reviews)

• The "door to door" style of sales is old fashioned and doesnt work like it did 15 years ago (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

A company that will teach you more than you expect

Current Employee - Voice Engineer  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Voice Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learning, using most current technology, ability to advance, location

Cons

compensation, short staffed, training, over worked

In order to retain talent, you have to pay competitive with Market

Excellent Learning Experience

Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant  in  Miramar, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Miramar, FL

I worked at Cbeyond full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training - This company doesn't ditch on training resources. To this day, more than three years since being in training at Cbeyond, I still remember tactics, presentations, and general sales and IT knowledge gained from course.
    Culture - It's a sales floor, so yes, there is high pressure, but you should know this when applying for a sales position with quotas; however, the sales managers, team leads, and team mates do the best to make you feel part of the family. The team does well, you'll be enjoying the benefits.
    Quota Incentives - Aside from the opportunity to gain decent commission, they provide incentives ranging from happy hours, TVs and Ipads, to boating trips and national trips.
    Networking - Some reps never understood the power of networking until it was too late into their tenure. Understanding the strength of partners and using those strengths to compliment your weaknesses is what will set you apart at Cbeyond.

Cons

Product - At least while I was there, price point was a little higher than main competitors and technology was a bit outdated (T1 has been out for a very, very long time)
    Micromanagement - Prepare to have your cards and calls counted; however, on a positive side note, if you prove your sales ability and consistency, most managers will back off you, and if they don't, your VP/GM could help you either move teams or become a TL.

Understand the difference between a Senior Sales Consultant and a spanking new rep. From my understanding, since my departure, hiring trends have changed to only hire experience sales reps, but space needs to be given to those producing.

Also, the majority of the managers had been promoted for excellent sales ability. Had being the key word here. Just because something was done one way 10 years ago, it's not the same now. Go out and do what your reps do once or twice every few months, so you can make sure you aren't preaching the wrong sermon.

Get the "old school" people out of Cbeyond ASAP

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a ton of training, almost everyday. It's on the technology and selling; if you pay attention you can learn a lot even if you have experience selling. The transition to the 2.0 model should have happened a few years ago because it makes more sense. There is very little door to door anymore, you need to be more strategic in prospecting. We seem to be on a good path, but who knows what will happen when we are acquired by Birch.

Cons

Upper management is nightmare. A lot of yelling at people, clear favoritism, will only train or support the people he likes, doesn't listen to anyone, ever.....just barks orders at us. Intimate and personal relationships with the sales managers is common and is justified by saying "mentoring" them, the list goes on. Every sales rep hates and tries to avoid upper management , but they are still here. Corporate turns a blind eye for some reason. It's just a matter of time before we start suing for all the HR violations.

Start hiring people for management jobs from outside of the company. It's an old boys club and seriously stupid people with no skills get "brought up" (The Orange County upper management came up under old school VP's just because they are best friends). Corporate needs to come out and see what really goes on; we all hear how different the Atlanta office is and it's just not right the branch doesn't even resemble what this companies core values are.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The New CYBEYOND

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time for less than a year

Pros

AWESOME PRODUCT SET!. They have a full suite of products from Cloud to mobile phones and everything in between. The comp plan is also great!

Cons

Start up environment- those who are entrepreneurs will love it.

Pay to get the best people possible.

Opportunity of a lifetime

Current Employee - Solution Specialist  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Solution Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cbeyond gave me an opportunity to learn consultative solution selling as an entry-level employee. The product training was excellent. The daily expectations have changed dramatically over the past year and a half. I am now in charge of my own daily schedule and am free to run my business how I see fit. My sales have improved because of the recent changes in management style. I have met some incredibly successful people that I am proud to call my mentors. Community involvement is quite fulfilling.

Cons

The sales training has not evolved to mirror the actual sales strategy that lets one be successful in this position. Consequently, new employees are often discouraged for the first 4 months. After which, they either quit or are ambitious enough to succeed no matter the circumstance. A lot of the tenured employees are falling off at a rampant pace - probably because change makes people uncomfortable.

We have moved away from hiring entry-level; but, I wouldn't be a national sales leader without such opportunity. Take a chance on a green employee if you see the determination in their eyes. For those that own a successful track record, be a coach and a resource, but let them run their own business.

Absolutely awful! There are no words to describe it.

Former Employee - Tier I Technical Support/NOC  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Tier I Technical Support/NOC in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cbeyond full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a job. Better than not eating at all (almost). Decent offices. Training was good. Good documentation on the services they provide.

Cons

You name it. This is the most awful company to work for. No common sense. Micromanaged to the absolute minute. Selling T1 lines (1.5mbs) in a world of cable Internet (200mbs). I couldn't get another job because practically every recruiter in Atlanta works with them and no one would hire me because it would endanger their contract. Thank goodness a friend of mine got me a direct hire role with his employer.

I never got in trouble there. Never written up but I was threatened with it. Constantly. They have their procedures that you follow no matter what or they will fire you. No common sense. One particular issue I fixed without taking additional, unneeded steps and wasting time, only to be threatened with a write up and possibly not going permanent. Didn't matter that the client was fixed and had not called back in and it had been over a month since the call. Just one of many, many situations like this.

HR is so clueless that in my exit interview, they were "shocked" when I told them how awful they were and how practically everyone on the floor that I knew felt the same, but were too scared to say anything because they might get a bad name there.

I would rather kick puppies for a living than go back. 8 hours a day, 7 days a week. Kicking puppies. Think about that before you consider working here.

None. They wouldn't listen while I was there, why would they listen now?

WORST PLACE EVER, never work here unless you like to SOLICIT for a living.

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cbeyond for less than a year

Pros

The only thing that made me want to go in was to see the my co-workers who also hated coming into such an awful place.

Cons

I have never wanted to quit a job in my life or hate going into work! MICRO MANAGEMENT. I went to college and got a degree for what? To talk about nonsense every morning at 8am sharp. Be late one minute and get locked out? Does that make sense? No. Seriously if you want to go back to highschool work here.

I am BLOWN AWAY by anyone recommending this place. The office has shrunk from 50+ employees to around 20 by the time I volenterally left. EVERYONE QUIT. More have since I've left.

You got rid of so many of the bad seeds, but there are so many left. What an awful joke of a job. SOLICIT 50 DOORS A DAY is not management.

So what you're trying something new? Your reputation in the industry has become a joke.

Lots of turnover

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good atmosphere and local leadership.

Cons

Lots of turnover during my time there.

Make a plan and stick to it.

No career path

I worked at Cbeyond full-time

Pros

My team was great and fun to work with
    Great community projects
    On site gym
    Great classes at the gym
    Gym was free for employees

Cons

No career growth opportunities
    Too much office politics
    They rarely promoted from within
    The pay was not great
    No free snacks

Average internship for average pay

Former Employee - Solutions Advisor Coordinator  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Solutions Advisor Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cbeyond as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people were very friendly and welcoming. This particular internship was not difficult at all.

Cons

I felt like I was just a number, or lost in the company. Could be boring at times.

Worked for Cbeyond? Contribute to the Community!