CeX Reviews

David Butler & David Mullins

1. Get what you give

Current Employee - Level III in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Level III in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at CeX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to move up Easy to get training Opinion counts Good pay compared to similar jobs Laid back Flexible Hours Non discriminatory Paid time off Discount & Employee return policies I could go on for hours I have worked here for 2+ Years with no prior experience and no degrees. Worked my way up by expressing a desire to do so and by giving my best. This company rewards originality, creativity, open-mindedness and passion. How many retail employees can say that? I've received two hourly pay raises in the 2-3 years I've been here, and they are currently working on giving us health insurance. Seriously anyone with any complaints about this company probably never visited any of the other stores and their issues were related to store-level management not the company as a whole. This job was legitimately the best thing to have ever happened to me and anyone should be grateful to work for them. (Save for MAYBE New York stores because I know the cost of living is much higher there.)

Cons

Difficult customers Lack of support because U.S. Division is fairly new Supplies are sometimes difficult to acquire because they're being shipped from UK No Health Insurance No annual raise

Advice to Management

Attempt to achieve uniform working conditions across all stores. I think it would be a good idea to select some good employees from around the company and form a roaming training troupe to travel to struggling stores and instill employees there with the same passion we have!

2. Sales

I worked at CeX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with made that job great. Time and a half on Sundays for hourly pay. PTO is easy to get and you get it on Xmas, Thanksgiving, etc.

Cons

Discount sucks. Upper mgmt in NY and UK who come over to micro-manage the stores make your life hell and are jerk.

Advice to Management

If a store is operating successfully on its own, leave it alone. Coming to a store without any connection to employees or understanding of that specific location makes it a hard, hostile work environment literally no one likes.

3. Cool company being run into the ground

Former Employee - Store Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at CeX (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, no dress code, all tech all the time, very down to earth in store coworkers

Cons

Unrealistic goals from top management, business plans don't match up with reality, no job security, lots of favoritism, some very legally questionable practices, some very morally questionable practices, tend to fire the wrong people

Advice to Management

Take a look at your history and current performance. Reward good workers and fire the ones that are stealing or ruining the company. Listen to your workers. Clean house in upper management for the good of the company, not to carry out personal grudges. Promote based on work ethic not favoritism. Live up to the potential many in store workers saw in this company when they first started.

5. "Do whatever you want" attitude

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Very slow paced, no matter what you'll still get paid; if HR is organized enough to do so.

Cons

Very unorganized, feels like an off the books kinda job. People do what they want and security is very unreliable.

Advice to Management

Just improve.

6. A complete mess.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at CeX part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for retail. The people you interact with are interesting, both your co-workers and the customers. They'll hire you even if you've had no experience.

Cons

Six supervisors made it very difficult to do your job correctly. One boss would tell you one thing, and another would yell at you for doing that thing because it was "wrong". Several of the supervisors seemed so dissatisfied to work there, and it showed. They'd take their anger out on you, and talked openly about their personal issues in front of you. They'd also "borrow" things from the store - something that's obviously not allowed - and basically took advantage of their positions.

Advice to Management

The laid back environment is great, but maybe a little too laid back. It just makes it even more difficult to work there.

7. This place is a joke.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at CeX full-time

Pros

The staff at the stores are generally pretty great - they have a quick bond due to all loving games/media of all sorts - unfortunately the lasting bond is due to a hatred of the company and dealing with very poor working conditions.

Cons

Leadership is a shambles - I saw someone here on Glassdoor blaming it on "prior management" - this is a complete joke and typical of the sort of dismissive attitude the higher ups, especially those in the UK, seem to have toward anyone working at store level. "It will be better soon" is what you will hear for years. Nothing changes, there is just a revolving door of upper/middle management when they get burned out and then blamed for failures while UK management stays the same and we at the store level suffer. Like to get paid on time? Want to work somewhere you'll be trained properly? Want to not feel at threat of physical attack by customers? Want to feel like a valued employee, and not just be paid lip service? Work pretty much anywhere else.

Advice to Management

If you're going to stay open in US, at least pretend to give a damn.

8. Definitely an experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at CeX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, fun work environment, decent pay for retail, learn a lot about electronics, employee discount, hone your people skills talking to the customers

Cons

sometimes the customers can be hard to handle, but it makes for good stories. since it's a uk based company you'll probably end up working on holidays such as thanksgiving and the fourth of july.

Advice to Management

none

9. Not quite what they advertise

Current Employee - Saes Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Saes Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CeX part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

decent pay, un atmosphere, good working environment. excellent selection and good emplyee discount. generally pretty open to scheduling around school, and they claim to promote from within.

Cons

They say they take suggestions from all levels of emplyees, this is not so true. When I sorked there they had several inefficiencies in their processes. I was told to be quiet and do it the way they told me. This wouldn't be a problem if they didn't advertise themselves as being open to ideas. Also, schedules never out more than a week in advance

Advice to Management

Follow up what you say you will, and seriously alphabetize the sleeves behind the counter. It only takes an additional 10 seconds when filing and saves about 30 seconds at least every time someone finds something. It's a way better system.

The most amazing of adventures

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at CeX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company promotes fast growth and experience A genuine family orientated environment A chance to see the world No limits

Cons

It can be very stressful Not always the most straight forward of companys sometimes it can be difficult to be heard

Advice to Management

Listen and communicate more, understand the ground floor more

Disorganized and too much expectation for not giving back

Current Employee - Level III Shift Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Level III Shift Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at CeX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's great if you love tech and dealing with people. And the idea that people can old tech to get new tech is great.

Cons

disorganized, lack of mobility, poor pay, not health benefits, no work/life balance, no communication between departments run by 1 or 2 individuals

Advice to Management

get it together or you'll always be a start up company. actually care about your employees, not just your profits, get a real support staff.

RSS Feed </> Embed