CeX

Definitely an experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at CeX full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, fun work environment, decent pay for retail, learn a lot about electronics, employee discount, hone your people skills talking to the customers

Cons

sometimes the customers can be hard to handle, but it makes for good stories. since it's a uk based company you'll probably end up working on holidays such as thanksgiving and the fourth of july.

none

This place is a joke.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at CeX full-time

Pros

The staff at the stores are generally pretty great - they have a quick bond due to all loving games/media of all sorts - unfortunately the lasting bond is due to a hatred of the company and dealing with very poor working conditions.

Cons

Leadership is a shambles - I saw someone here on Glassdoor blaming it on "prior management" - this is a complete joke and typical of the sort of dismissive attitude the higher ups, especially those in the UK, seem to have toward anyone working at store level. "It will be better soon" is what you will hear for years. Nothing changes, there is just a revolving door of upper/middle management when they get burned out and then blamed for failures while UK management stays the same and we at the store level suffer.

Like to get paid on time? Want to work somewhere you'll be trained properly? Want to not feel at threat of physical attack by customers? Want to feel like a valued employee, and not just be paid lip service? Work pretty much anywhere else.

If you're going to stay open in US, at least pretend to give a damn.

Not quite what they advertise

Current Employee - Saes Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Saes Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CeX part-time (less than an year)

Pros

decent pay, un atmosphere, good working environment. excellent selection and good emplyee discount. generally pretty open to scheduling around school, and they claim to promote from within.

Cons

They say they take suggestions from all levels of emplyees, this is not so true. When I sorked there they had several inefficiencies in their processes. I was told to be quiet and do it the way they told me. This wouldn't be a problem if they didn't advertise themselves as being open to ideas. Also, schedules never out more than a week in advance

Follow up what you say you will, and seriously alphabetize the sleeves behind the counter. It only takes an additional 10 seconds when filing and saves about 30 seconds at least every time someone finds something. It's a way better system.

The most amazing of adventures

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at CeX full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company promotes fast growth and experience
    A genuine family orientated environment
    A chance to see the world
    No limits

Cons

It can be very stressful
    Not always the most straight forward of companys
    sometimes it can be difficult to be heard

Listen and communicate more, understand the ground floor more

Disorganized and too much expectation for not giving back

Current Employee - Level III Shift Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Level III Shift Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at CeX full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's great if you love tech and dealing with people. And the idea that people can old tech to get new tech is great.

Cons

disorganized, lack of mobility, poor pay, not health benefits, no work/life balance, no communication between departments run by 1 or 2 individuals

get it together or you'll always be a start up company. actually care about your employees, not just your profits, get a real support staff.

Badly fragmented company.

Former Employee - Level III Shift Supervisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Level III Shift Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at CeX full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of cool, talented people at the store level.

Cons

No real leadership; management, when not busy infighting, regularly alienate and undermine store employees. Policies change arbitrarily, causing confusion for customers and staff alike. There's little consistency between different locations, which causes problems when inventory is transferred back and forth between these stores. Often, this inventory will be broken or damaged.

Secondhand is a business that is, for obvious reasons, relevant to law enforcement. I'm aware of multiple employees arrested while on the job in "sting" operations where detectives will intentionally provide vague information. With full knowledge of this, I (and my staff) have been directed to operate in violation of the law and risk arrest on multiple occasions, and were threatened with replacement when we refused.

Employees at the store level are overworked and underpaid. Frequent promises of raises and healthcare are made and then forgotten, to the degree that the announcements of said changes are comical. Recently, fifteen minute breaks were taken away. However, smoke breaks will remain in place, which leads to a situation where non-smokers have zero opportunities, besides repurposing their lunch, to simply take a break. In a fast-paced retail environment where customers can potentially cause incidents if their goods are turned away (and there have been many), keeping the happiness of your sales associates high is a priority to avoid constant turnover and retraining. This is not recognized, willfully or not, within operations.

Managers at the store level are beholden to the whims of regional managers and operation heads of not only CeX America, but the UK parent. This creates a never ending parade of idiosyncratic figures wandering around stores at will under the guise of overseeing operations, which is a constant time sink for a manager trying to actually oversee his location.

Accounting seems to be in shambles. Payroll arrives late with zero accountability; typically this is due to the payroll being submitting a day late. Checks will bounce. I have been asked to transfer work-related funds through my personal account in order to resupply cash. W2 forms not only arrive later than the required date (if at all), but are delivered by hand, sometimes to the wrong store. When I initially arrived in New York, there was confusion over whether or not I should claim to have lived in Yonkers (I had not). The company hired someone to help clear up some of this chaos (headquarters were being relocated) who quit out of frustration within a month.

It seems as though there's little interest in paying down the debt of what's already broken, but it needs to be a priority if you're going to reestablish a relationship between yourselves and the employees. Avoid conflicting messages and create consistent procedure that's actually practiced at all levels, at each location. Hire a real HR firm. Identify and replacement management at all levels who have grown complacent with what's broken.

CeX Response

May 8, 2013Operations Manager

Thank you for your feedback and we are very sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience at CeX. While we are aware of our shortcomings and working on making the company better, some of the ... More

Worst employer I've ever worked for.

Former Employee - Supervisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at CeX full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cool staff, lots of drinking.

Cons

Terrible work environment, never have the supplies to do the job, the UK bosses show up, don't do any work and dont seem to help the US higher ups at all, police raid the stores, they told us month after month for a year we'd get health insurance but never did, no benefits at all, etc.

I don't think the company is going to do as well as you wish it were, I'd find a new job you all seem to work too much and all seem burned out.

CeX Response

May 8, 2013Operations Manager

Thank you for your response. Everyday we are taking one step forward in trying to change the culture and environment from the one you have experience and making CeX a great place to work. This starts ... More

Decent but could be soooo much better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at CeX

Pros

Very unique in what the do. They buy & sell electronics
    Opportunities to move up in the company there but not many people seem motivated to do so

Cons

At times they seem very unorganized and make panic moves
    Too many people have input on what needs to get done when it just takes one person to decide
    Cut corners when ever they feel the need to even at staff's expense

Give your managers all the tools they need to make their store and your company successful, including having as much staffing and supplies as possible.

Cex is a perfect place to work, a free and pressure less work atmosphere, a very friendly work place and company too.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bangalore (India)

I worked at CeX part-time (less than an year)

Pros

No pressure, good pay, nice treatment and finally job satisfaction can be gained for sure. Innovation is their integral part.

Cons

Physical strain is a bit more.

Enable and introduce some methods to understand employees more, so that it will lead to more business.

Xmas temp work

I worked at CeX

Pros

Worked there for 3 months, good job, look after the staff well

Cons

Its retail... but otherwise fine

CeX Photos