Cedar Fair

Cedar Fair Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Cedar Fair President and CEO Matthew A. (Matt) Ouimet

Matthew A. (Matt) Ouimet

Pros
  • It is a great experience with getting to meet people all around the world but sometimes it isn't worth it (in 6 reviews)

• You receive free admission to the park during your time there and 5 guest passes (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours mostly 10am-8/9 pm 6 days a week (in 17 reviews)

• You will be working very, very long hours for wages barely over minimum wage (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Very memorable summer.

Ride Host (Current Employee) Sandusky, OH

ProsIt was an amazing summer experience that I think everyone should try. Despite the cons, it's all worth it.

ConsIt's hot. You work long hours. The park-goers can get grumpy.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou might want to offer something like a town hall meeting, or a friendlier way for the workers to get to know you and have open communication with you.

Fun for a while, not forever

Games Area Manager (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsCoworkers make the job enjoyable, being in management has taught me a lot, fun faced paced work environment

ConsLow pay, seasonal, hour caps (both weekly and season long), hot, can do a lot less work elsewhere for a lot more money, hard ceiling, no room for growth once you get to a certain point (people are hired from the outside to fill full time positions, hard to advance from seasonal to full time)

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more full time positions so your seasonal management aren't doing the jobs of your full time staff unfairly, get rid of weekly hour caps/seasonal hour caps, its not like you pay overtime anyways. We are they.

It was an interesting experience

Food Host (Former Employee) Sandusky, OH

ProsYou get to meet people from all over the world and make great friendships, free admission into the park and free parking, cheap food in cafeteria, ride nights, four free admission passes, and the comrodery with co-workers.

ConsThe number of hours you work could be very long, especially if you work in the food service area. I was expected to work from 8am-2am at least once a week without a break. I mean, there's not much to do, but I was getting burned out fairly quickly. You can get cheap housing, which can be mildly disgusting to live in. You are often in close quarters with a lot of the same people which can cause a lot of high school like drama. Also, the internet is shotty at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain managers to foster growth instead of bullying people who don't know what they're doing. It would also be beneficial to provide incentives for people who follow the rules, i.e. getting to work on time consistently.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard work, but enjoyable

Lifeguard (Current Employee) Aurora, OH

ProsGreat supervisors at Wild Water Kingdom - It's a smaller branch of Cedar Fair so everyone is closer and it's not really crappy.
    Free admission to Cedar Fair parks
    Discounts - 10% off food when not working, and 25% of merch
    Free tan from standing in the sun all day
    It's a waterpark
    Uniforms are provided to you, but extras do cost money
    Employee events - breakfast with our GM, ice cream nights, slide nights
    ability to save lives!
    I was okay with all the hours, I needed the money
    Overall, I really loved my job

ConsWork life balance is absolutely terrible.
    You don't get paid for overtime, because it's only working for 3 months and 55 hour weeks are common
    hot uncomfortable weather conditions
    it can get cold and standing in water spots makes you shiver
    uniform is polyester and hot and uncomfortable
    Some of the zones are just large and work is repetitive and boring
    Employee lounge is terrible, they served a coworker raw chicken one day?? but it isn't hard to just pack a lunch
    Long hours mostly 10am-8/9 pm 6 days a week

Advice to Senior ManagementReally love how our GM walks around the park during the day and does genuinely care about his employees, and he's a great guy. The supervisors were all nice, and communication was easy. I honestly can't say much, but I wish there was more communication between departments. As a lifeguard, I don't know anyone from foods/merch/etc.

Team Lead for Food and Beverage

Team Lead (Current Employee) Kings Mills, OH

ProsVery easy to get a promotion
    Free access to any Cedar Fair park
    Discounts in the parks

ConsNon Flexible Scheduling
    Stressful Environment
    Low Pay

Advice to Senior ManagementFix any of the cons and emphasize the pros

Working at Cedar Point was a great job to meet people and experience a fun time.

Lifeguard (Former Employee) Sandusky, OH

ProsI enjoyed meeting new people and working in a completely different environment. You receive free admission to the park during your time there and 5 guest passes.

ConsI worked as a lifeguard and i rarely received off days which in the end made me really tired, especially while working (waking up, showering, catching the shuttle) from 5am to 1am the next morning. I barely received any rest.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be more organized and give more off days to workers with longer hours.

Seasonal Employee

Ride Host Team Lead (Former Employee) Sandusky, OH

ProsGreat co-workers, great experience. Learned a lot and was able to use this position as a step stone to the future.

Conslong hours, but there isn't much else to do so you don't really notice. Employee housing was a dump.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe job was a step stone for me into much bigger things. Consider a management training program or allowing more people to get involved with the day to day running of things. Fix up employee housing. It shouldn't look like a jail.

Fun job: horrible employee relations

Ride Host (Former Employee) Sandusky, OH

ProsFun atmosphere, free entrance to the park, fun cowokers. It is a great experience with getting to meet people all around the world but sometimes it isn't worth it. I loved the rides I got to work and learning how to operate large machinery.

ConsManagement plays favorites, hard to move up in the company unless you're good friends with the person, treats employees like crap. Working at Cedar Point does not offer you a chance to have a social life. The housing is crap and there are no healthy food options for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee relations is the key to happy employees but it starts at the top.

Have to love it

Ride Host (Former Employee) Sandusky, OH

ProsCheap housing available, it's a freaking theme park, you can earn a decent amount of money if you're willing to work overtime, you get enough chances to enjoy the park in your off time

ConsYou will be in very close quarters with your crew, which causes tons of high school drama. The hours can be long and six-day work weeks are expected. Living arrangements, though cheap, are not cushy. Internet access is fairly limited.

Great Start Job

Guest Service Attendant (Current Employee) Buena Park, CA

ProsGreat first job
    Gives you good experience for transferring to more exclusive jobs
    Excellent for full or part time students because of flexibility

Consmanagement does not really pay attention to our needs
    No holidays for yourself
    Very demanding during touristy seasons
    Odd hours

Worked for Cedar Fair? Contribute to the Community!