Cedar Park Regional Medical Center

Updated October 13, 2014
Updated October 13, 2014
3.2

CEO

It was a very great, new hospital

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Cedar Park Regional Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff were very good, and the overtime perks were well

Cons

The director did not have empathy

Be more understanding of family situations and needing time off

Unorganized

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Park, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Park, TX

I worked at Cedar Park Regional Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Staff is friendly to patients.

Cons

There is no loyalty to staff.

Pleasant on average, but treated like a employee number rather than a human being.

Former Employee - Surgical Technologist in Cedar Park, TX
    Former Employee - Surgical Technologist in Cedar Park, TX

I worked at Cedar Park Regional Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice benefits package, nice work space, nice cafe with good food, plenty of parking, easily accessible, continuing education units are easy to sign up for, BLS/ACLS training

Cons

Expected to work a full day of scheduled patients, after having been called in while on-call, working several hours into the wee morning hours, cleaning all instrumentation, possibly sterilizing instruments/equipment for the first cases scheduled, and getting perhaps 2 hours of rest. Plain and simple it is not safe for the patient, the employee, nor their team members relying on them to do their job with a clear sharp professional mind.

I realize it is a sad but true industry standard to work medical staff to their bones, but isn't it time that techs and nurses get treated with respect and dignity as well as the physicians & patients? I heard a lot from other employees about working so hard to start this hospital up and get it going with patients and doctors, going through nurse manager after department manager, and still they work extremely long hours and back up in the hospital at 6 or 7 am.

No one should get written up for trying to work safely with patients lives in our hands.

Allow for critical facility staff to be worked standardized hours and not face bureaucratic penalties for having strong work ethics. If someone works on call (preventing them from getting enough rest to safely carry out all of the next day's responsibilities) care should be taken to make certain they are up to the job the next day for everyone's sake, not only the patients. Flight Attendants, by FAA rule, must have a minimum of 8 hours of rest between their last and next morning flight schedule. Set up a committee, set a standard, and support it. Having a rotating four days of ten hour shifts, allows for extended weekends for everyone, a lot less call-ins and vacation requests. Every 5 weeks is a four day weekend. It worked well in big city hospitals.

The Lab Director is incompetent.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Park, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Park, TX

I have been working at Cedar Park Regional Medical Center

Pros

Close to home, great location. It's new and clean.

Cons

Workflow is unstable and there are frequent gaps in shift coverage hospital wide.
    The layout of the hospital and parking is very disorganized and a maze to navigate through for such a small hospital.
    Management turnover is too frequent and ineffective.
    Overall the hospital is wasteful and badly managed.

Get some very experienced managers in that are organized and effective.
    Make better hiring decisions and promote from within.
    Adopt the LEAN system of organization and prioritizing.
    Reward more employees and use a better evaluation system.
    Quit doing random drug screens and start doing them only for cause. This will show more trust in employees instead of making them feel threatened a lot.

The light on Cedar Park's only Hospital.

Current Employee - Charge RN
    Current Employee - Charge RN

I have been working at Cedar Park Regional Medical Center

Pros

It is a fresh new hospital in Cedar Park, TX. We are growing quickly and learning as we go. The hospital opened just over a year ago and already we are becoming an intricate part of this community..and I am proud to be a part of that. I am continually provided opportunities for growth and to learn new skills. My immediate management backs the staff up when needed, and looks for ways to improve the unit based off of patient and staff's ideas. Our patient satisfaction scores are high. The pay is substantial for the area, it compares well with the Austin metro area. Insurance offers a ppo with a low deductible and if you get any work done at the hospital it is covered completely.

Cons

Because of the competing hospitals in the neighboring city, our census fluctuates more than we would like. Our staffing can be a challenge, depending on your position at this time some staff can be called off. Other times we don't have enough staff and you are ran ragged. We are going through a time with some changes in upper management, I believe they are just looking out for the hospital with these decisions. Also we are still in the process of getting all the supplies and equipment not initially needed for the opening of the hospital approved and on the units.

Continue to have experienced Managers in each department. Provide lots of education for the staff on any issues that come up with processes/policies for the hospital. Provide more support for the staff during the rough times and be willing to get dirty while doing so. Expect that some employees need more guidance, instruction , and assistance than others. Don't forget what it is like to be at the bottom of that ladder, provide opportunities for growth and development for each employee. Dont do the House supervisor position and try to be the Chief Nursing Officer, that is just too many hats!