Cedar Point Amusement Park

CEO

Fun but not inspiring

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sandusky, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sandusky, OH

I worked at Cedar Point Amusement Park full-time (less than a year)

Pros

good benefits, especially employee housing and cafeteria.

Cons

had experience some racial discrimination

Really fun work environment

Former Employee - Merchandise Auditor in Sandusky, OH
    Former Employee - Merchandise Auditor in Sandusky, OH

I worked at Cedar Point Amusement Park

Pros

You literally go to work each day beneath roller coasters
    You will work with great and diverse people

Cons

You'll probably work more than 40 hours a week

Over worked and way under paid.

Former Employee - Restroom Attendant in Sandusky, OH
    Former Employee - Restroom Attendant in Sandusky, OH

I worked at Cedar Point Amusement Park

Pros

Lots of friends and experience made. More for younger adults or anyone going through the transition to being on your own. They had housing with pretty lax rules.

Cons

Since its seasonal they arent required to pay overtime and trust me they wont. Employees are paid minimum wage and the more degrading jobs, such as the restroom attendants, only get $0.50 more. Employees are expected to work 2 required all day shifts sometimes being up to 17hrs. 1 day off a week.

It's Not For Everybody!

Former Employee - Games Host in Sandusky, OH
    Former Employee - Games Host in Sandusky, OH

I worked at Cedar Point Amusement Park

Pros

-Meet people from all over the world
    -A good way to learn to live on your own if you haven't already
    -Housing & Transportation
    -Free entry to Cedar Point & Soak City
    -4 Free Tickets to give away not for sale
    -Rec Center and store
    -Volleyball and basketball outside
    -Employee club
    -Ride Nights

Cons

-Housing & Transportation is a con & pro!. Housing is nasty, CP needs to do an extreme makeover !. For one the dorm rooms are like a closet. Two wooden bunk beds -_- and lockers. Some have a desk or a dresser in them or like an old tv and an ancient chair. The bugs that get into the building and STICk to the wall are gross, my roommates and I had to buy OFF spray almost every week and kill the bugs like there were thousands and our dorm was right next to the door so it was bad. TRANSPORTATION: if you dont have a car you have to take the CP buses and some of the bus drivers are RUDE. you have to walk across a bridge to get to the bus stop and as your walking up a bus can just pull off and you'll have to wait 15 min till the next.
    -The heat was a problem but however you know what it is before you apply to the job so I couldnt complain
    All in all it wasn't that bad I will be returning but in a different department and I will not be staying in their Dorms/Apartments also I have a car this year so I believe it will be much better this time around.

-As far as buses please have more RUNNING buses this year and be careful with who you hire as your bus drivers.

Ride Host

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Cedar Point Amusement Park as an intern

Pros

Meeting new people from all over and forming friendships was the only thing i really took away from it as a positive

Cons

long hours, no balance with personal life, crappy pay, housing quarters were rough

Great experience, but the company doesn't value employees

Former Employee - Ride Supervisor in Sandusky, OH
    Former Employee - Ride Supervisor in Sandusky, OH

I worked at Cedar Point Amusement Park full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience. Gained lots of customer service and management experience, lifelong friends, and a great start to my future career in my degree field (Biology).

Cons

Hours are unpredictable (could be 35, could be 75...), pay is low compared to other parks (I was making less than nine dollars after four years of working there, in a supervisor position) but expectations are much higher. They do provide housing, but it's terrible conditions and expensive for what you're getting (comes to over 200 dollars/month for a bed in a very small room with three other people and a community bathroom). Chances for significant advancement are slim and employee input is not taken seriously.

Value your employees. If they're sick, let them go home. Regulate staffing so that hours are consistent.

Things could be worse

I worked at Cedar Point Amusement Park

Pros

Access to the park, New friends

Cons

Out of touch management, high good costs, no overtime

Talk to your employees and embrace their advice.

Ride Operator

I worked at Cedar Point Amusement Park

Pros

- LOTS of hours
    - Meet a diverse range of people
    - Ride crew usually (but not always) ends up a close tight-knit group of friends you'll talk to forever
    - If you need to make some cash over the summer while you're in school and don't want to be stuck with your parents this is the place for you

Cons

Holy hell those dorms are absolutely awful. The black mold and bedbug rumors are completely true.

The dorms need serious help. The amount of PR damage the wrong person with a camera could do to your company with just dorm pictures is staggering. Bedbugs are a problem and they are a common problem. This year the "thermal remediation" mobile heater trailer was parked in front of 1500's and running almost every day. If you do the math that is over 1/5 of the rooms in the building. Pony up the cash to get one of those bedbug sniffer dogs and have it sniff all new people's stuff when they move, and if someone brings them in, get them out and deal with the problem right then and there. The company is treating the symptoms of the problem and not the problem itself. As far as the dorms go, those bastards are totally hiding in the ductwork/suspended ceiling and that is how they bounce around after you heat treat a specific room. Something needs to be done about those. We pay less than 6 dollars a day for dorms, and honestly I'd pay 10-12 dollars a day to have only one roommate and no goddamned bedbugs popping up everywhere. I have been in half a dozen different dorms and these are by far and away the worst ones I've ever seen or heard about

Seriously work on fixing those dorms. I get that idiots and slobs move into them and it's tough to deal with them, but if you fix up those dorms word will get out that it's a great place to work and you'll have people fighting to work there.

Cedarfan

Former Employee - Admission Host in Sandusky, OH
    Former Employee - Admission Host in Sandusky, OH

I worked at Cedar Point Amusement Park full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

free admission to cedar fair parks

Cons

bed bugs. staffing, heat, hours and lack of true summer fun

show that you care about your employees every day

It is what you make of it

Former Contractor - Merchandise
    Former Contractor - Merchandise

I worked at Cedar Point Amusement Park as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some cool people
    Depending on what you do, the job may not be all that bad
    Made some awesome friends and employee service events were always a good time

Cons

Some terrible people
    Depending on what you do, the job may be terrible
    It's all a toss up, really
    Merchandise was more boring than not