Celanese

Celanese Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Celanese Chairman and CEO Mark C. Rohr

Mark C. Rohr

Pros
  • Very friendly people, good work flexibility, and good benefits(in 9 reviews)

• Great management style, flexible work environment, very collaborative(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • A 9/80 work schedule would provide a better work/life balance(in 5 reviews)

• No development opportunities because all the people with the knowledge are let go or get smart and quit(in 3 reviews)

Overall, a great company.

(Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat benefits and a lot of responsibility. Lots of tenure with employees within the business. More opportunity for engineers and technical folks to move around in the business than the shared services departments.

ConsWhen I was there, employee engagement was not discussed and you could feel the impacts of that in the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on making sure your people are excited to come to work everyday. Listen to all different levels rather than what's been bubbled up.

this is a very weird place.

Commodity Manager (Current Employee) Bishop, TX

Prosthey hire anyone. cant hardly get fired

Consdon't pay well at all. lose many employees

Many changes over the last 2 years

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsVery friendly people, good work flexibility, and good benefits

ConsRecently bonuses taken away for a lot of employees
    Limited promotion opportunities
    A lot of cost cutting recently
    Some business units are very lean, while others are overstaffed

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to start off your career.

Applications Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsMany opportunities for the motivated junior level employees; pay structure was very attractive when I began, with a possibility of an annual bonus of up to 40% of your annual base pay; benefits are solid, although eroding as most corporations in the US have recently

ConsSeems schizophrenic when managing priorities within the business units; recent changes to the salary structure have removed bonus opportunities for the majority of employees, leaving in place semi-annual pay increases for employees deemed appropriate; utilization of outside administrative tools leaves little time to complete the tasks being documented by said tools

Advice to Senior ManagementDefine internal ethos among employees; internal integration is fantastic as long as the necessary communication is occurring between the right people

Toxic culture - boring job

Global Product Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsBenefits are decent with competitive pay, rich HSA, and significant bonus potential. The geographic diversity of the company is also fun. It's truly global, and yet everyone seem committed to maintaining their head in the sand as a corporate ethos.

ConsI have worked for various Fortune 500 companies. The culture at Celanese is absolutely toxic. Everyone operates within a zero-sum mentality. If someone "wins" you "lose" and visa versa.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're losing your best talent with each passing day. Embrace the mediocrity and long term decline of your business.

Culture has changed with new CEO. Company is staged for growth and new opportunities are around.

ProsBenefits are probably higher than average. Good values and work-life balance. Environment for high performers.

ConsCan be a political environment and red tape to navigate

Global brand, balanced footprint, great company.

ProsDiverse porfolio, management broadly open to employee suggestions and Q&A, highly matrixed, global opportunity from global footprint.

ConsEver-shifting compensation and benefit plans.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the in-process turnaround and focus on human capital - going in largely the right direction.

The culture of the company has changed for the better over the past few years.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsGreat opportunities for growth and development enhanced with flexibility and innovative thinking; Good to see global corporate social responsibility is a priority.

ConsSlow to adopt new technology for day to day functions (computer systems, apps, etc.).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue talking to and listening to the employees. You have great culture and age diversity that provides a fresh mix of ideas. The population is starting to believe and trust the management like never before. Keep up the good, progressive, foward moving work.

A great place to learn.

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCelanese offers competitive salaries and benefits packages. They are very open to allowing to you to move within the company and work in different functional areas or business units. This makes Celanese a great place to expand your professional capabilities. The people are generally positive, professional and good to work with.

ConsCost reduction is always a focus. Many people stay on 20+ years and open spots for promotion can be difficult to find.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to balance the need to cut costs with the goals of people development and promotion.

A Great Time to Join

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsWhile you may read negative posts, times are chaning at Celanese. They are truly focusing on chaning the culture for the better by focusing on employee growth and improving the world.

ConsThere are still managers in the company that are refusing to move on with the culture change. Don't worry about those guys. You can easily rise above it and find a way to improve the culture yourself!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on Employee Growth and Improving the World

Worked for Celanese? Contribute to the Community!