Celerity, LLC

Updated January 9, 2015
3.9

Celerity, LLC CEO Michael Berkman
Michael Berkman

Pros
  • There are quarterly happy hours where I've been able to meet many of the other Celerity consultants in my area (in 8 reviews)

• Awesome Work life balance, career development (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any consulting firm, Celerity is bound by some of the constraints placed by their client (in 4 reviews)

• I do not have any cons with the time that I worked for Celerity (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Coveted work environment, interesting work to perform, many mentoring opportunities

I have been working at Celerity, LLC full-time

Pros

Celerity has great leadership. All founders and VP-level individuals are fascinating and engaging role models. This is an environment made for active contribution. You will learn as much as you ask. There are growing pains and hurdles to face on a daily basis - the work day is rarely boring. It is a growing company with high, fast-moving and exciting aspirations.

Cons

Some teams are more coherent and function better than others. Some turnover has been socially unsettling. Overall, this is a great place to learn and grow - but you have to seek out your own opportunity sometimes. If you do not have an innovative and proactive work ethic, you don't truly belong here.

Clarity around expectations and career trajectory is very important to everyone here. It is exciting to get behind the overall goals and growth of the company, but it is also very good to parallel that excitement with one's own personal growth plan within the company. I also believe steps should be taken to offer maternity leave.

Small typical consulting company trying to be an IBM, Microsoft

Former Employee - Developer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Developer in McLean, VA

I worked at Celerity, LLC

Pros

The project with their client (or client's client--it was kinda confusing as to what exactly the situation was really) was very aligned with what I do and like to do. The name recognition of this client was a plus (although I personally could care less about such things . . . it helps during subsequent interviews that you have worked on something that the interviewer has heard of). The salary was at the top of my range.

Cons

This company is very much a typical consulting company. However, for whatever reason, they struggle (very hard) to appear like and operate like some large corporation. It is kinda silly actually. They have all these processes and papework. Here is an example. I worked for them as an independent contractor. I had to fill out this mountain of paperwork. And they "threaten" you that if you start work and don't get this or that done by this or that date (say 30 days after you start) they will copy your manager and then so many days after that they will copy your manager's manager. I didn't work for them. So I didn't have a "manager'> So, it was just absurd. I mean of course paperwork is important. And you have to get it all signed/delivered for your sake and theirs. But the entire threat was just goofy. And I finished the paperwork and submitted it to them. But they still sent that email copying the manager assigned to this project. I informed them that I had already submitted it and even forwarded the email/attachments to them. AlI got back was "I found it." They also, in addition to a "contract", give you a "work order". The work order is for a specific project. It has a start and end date, your salary, your deliverables, etc. So I knew when the contract was ending. I make sure I know given I am a consultant so I know when to start my next project. But, when my contract was over (when I reached the work order end date) I got this formal letter from their HR dept stating that my work order had been "canceled". Again, just goofy in my opinion.

Along the same gripe as above they have this formal structure of assigning you a "project manager". At first I was excited not to have to project manage a project and do the development. But this person was not very helpful. She just offloaded her work to me in an overt way and sometimes in round about ways. For example, she set up this system where she entered the requirements. I marked when I started and completed the task. The QA person was notified. When they finished the customer was notified to sign off by testing. Typical workflow. But she wanted me to go in and add the URL to the QA site to each of those tickets as I finished them. Literally copy and paste it in there each time. I asked her why she couldn't simply book mark it as it was not changing for the project. She did; but she let me know that I was not doing what she asked. If this sounds petty, her childish behavior ramped up as the days rolled by. She became condescending and rude. She yelled at me a couple of times early on by raising her voice and talking over the top of me until I made it clear that I didn't work that way. It was if she thought she was my "HR manager". It was just surreal. She also was constantly going to "tell" this person or that person if you disagreed with her. That triggered meetings being set up with those people. Here is an example. She claimed I "literally" said x,y,z in the workflow system notes field and claimed that as a result I was rude to her. I found this out through one of these people she went" to. When I told them I had no idea what they were talking about and that this is the first time I have ever heard of it they just wanted us to ignore it. I asked them which note. Which ticket. They didn't know of course. I didn't. When I confronted her about it and asked her to pull up the ticket and show me right then and there she pulled up the ticket and it said nothing along the lines of what she said I said. So she lied. Is this starting to sound like elementary school? It does to me writing this and did while I experienced this. This senseless drama was created by this "project manager" on a weekly basis. The weird thing is that she and I got along and had perfectly acceptable small talk one day and then the very next the drama was created again. I just simply didn't know what was going on from one day to the next. At first I dealt with it as it came as this was a short term contract. But then it started to interfere with my work as it was taking up way too much time. So I told them that if it didn't stop I was going to apply my efforts elsewhere and they could finish this up. Magically it stopped. When I interviewed and did the tour of the office, I was told that my project manager "was good" and "one of the good ones". She was far from it from my experiences. She wasn't very good as the project management role, itself, either--standard things. She refused to encourage early testing. I approached her about this about project mid-way, twice. She refused. And as a result all the testing was pushed to the end of the project. Then the made rush to rework some things was necessary based upon testing and "Oh I didn't know that was what was being suggested." Some things, sadly, were not possible as we ran out of time. While I had a formal end date they make sure that they put in their contracts that it could end early. So at the end of the contract I kept asking her to more formally define the remaining timeline with tasks and dates. We knew what the remaining tasks were. She refused. She "guessed" and therefore the deadline kept wildly fluctuating. First it was going to end two weeks early. Then the on time. Then a month early. Then one week early. It was ridiculous. She also was very forceful in telling you what she was going to define/decide. She even behaved like that with the client on a couple of occasions. She was not happy with the out of the box user interface flow, for example. The client and I agreed with her in principle but didn't think it was a big deal, especially given what little time we had left. Because we didn't agree with her she snapped at us both by reiterating what she was pointing out. It was this sense of importance that really stuck out. And where she got this from is anyone's guess. She also took it upon herself to sign off for the client or make changes for the client when the client was not involved. That was very puzzling to me. And actually it wasted some time as I usually like to run things by the client before proceeding. She didn't. She wanted to define it and even intimated to me she had the authority. Then the client, a couple of times, disagreed with her decision which required changes. Just an odd approach. And there were a couple of times she complained that I was giving her too many details. So one day she behaved as if she was being hindered as a project manager for not being the "lead" and then the next she was whining that everyone was giving her too much information. So I just rolled my eyes and did what I needed to do. At the very end I had to step in (and on her toes from her eyes) to set up twice a day checkpoints with the client. It forced us to test and review the changes for sign off. The approach up to that point was the project manager was happy with confusion. THe client even expressed appreciation for the meetings I set up. At that point I didn't care if this project manager was mad or not. It was the end and I wanted to make sure it was successful.

My project manager had a manager who seemed to be very hands on and involved in everything. I mean everything. One day on a conference call this manager just piped up and started talking to me. I was never told she was in the room. And while it really doesn't matter I just found it to be disrespectful of me to not tell me that someone else was participating in our calls. I had suspected that this was going on given what I said in the last paragraph but professionalism dictates that you aren't this sneaky. And it definitely came across as sneaky. I even thought may the erratic behavior of the project manager was due to her micromanaging manager. It just appeared that way.

After all I went through on such a simple short term contract I would never work for this group again.

I was kinda taken aback about how cheap this company was with its contractors given the appearance that they struggle to project.

For example, in VA, if you are an independent contractor you do not have to, by law, purchase a worker's compensation insurance policy if you are a company of one. Instead VA makes it so that if you are a company hiring an independent contractor that even though the contractor is not your employee you still have to count them in the head count for determining if you must have a workers' compensation insurance policy for your company and cover the independent contractor.

So in other words in this situation where I worked with Celerity as an independent contract they were supposed to have a policy that covered me on workers' compensation as I was working on their project and therefore counted in their head count to determine if they needed to buy such a policy. I counted as another person in their head count for workers compensation. I was not legally supposed to have to buy a policy. I had no employees--me. Now if I hired an independent contractor then that would be 2 employees for me and I would have to buy a workers compensation policy to cover me and this contractor. But this company offloads the expense. They put it in your contract that you have to buy one since you are a independent contractor. And better still you have to provide them a certificate to prove you have it. I find this cheap.

They also still try to blur the lines of contractor/employee. They still run a background check on you as you are your company's employee (albeit a company of one employee-just you) working for them. They want you to use their email system. They want to tell you when to work. They want you to put your personal appointments on their calendar as if it was an employee/manager situation. Etc.

So when it comes to money you are "independent". When it comes to work processes/policies you are an "employee".

Make up your minds. Are you going to employee independent contractors? If so respect them in all ways. If not then stop offloading your financial responsibilities to them.

You cannot have it both ways.

Small company trying to break into large accounts, to me they were simple a body shop.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Celerity, LLC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company provided good benefits

Cons

Celerity needs to stand-up for it's consultants, they do whatever their clients want in order to keep the account, on my project our team of consultants had to work extended hours and weekends due to poor planning on the client side. Celerity allowed it to happen.

Plenty of politics for such a small firm.

Not very transparent in sharing the client feedback and direction with their consultants

They don't have a bench therefore once the projects are over you are on your own.

For me it was hard to understand how Celerity was selected in the list of 100 best places to work for the northern VA/DC area a few years ago.

Stand up for your consultants, be more transparent and please change your name it sounds too much like celery and we get too many jokes about it from other consultants :)

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Developer in Camp Hill, PA
    Former Employee - Developer in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Celerity, LLC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They really do care about their employees. Employee events and team lunches were always nice. Whether it's in the work place or if you may be dealing with some personal issues, Celerity does care and is willing to provide support when needed. They really do try to keep their good people.

Cons

I have no issues with Celerity. I guess with any IT consulting company, you wish they would have more open positions available. Pursue more client companies.

None.

Exceptional staffing company with good opportunities and thoughtful recruiters.

Former Employee - Training Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Training Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Celerity, LLC as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Had a very positive experience with my placement with Celerity. The recruiters I worked with remained interested in my progress and had even contacted me following the end of my contract with additional opportunities, although I had already found full-time permanent work.

Thanks for a wonderful placement that led to working with a great team for many years.

Cons

I cannot think of any specific cons other than those that are just a normal part of contract work. My contract ended due to the cancellation of a project, not Celerity's fault.

Impressive, Growing Company. Highly Recommend!

I have been working at Celerity, LLC

Pros

Professional and experienced leadership, positive and collaborative culture, high standards and core values

Cons

None I can identify so far- I love working for the company!

Keep doing what you are doing! This company has been amazing to work for so far.

Amazing group of team who remember you are a person once you actually start the position

Current Employee - Mainframe Programmer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Mainframe Programmer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Celerity, LLC as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Some Staffing companies, once you go on their staffing, forget you exist. But not Celerity! About every other month we have a 'get together' Breakfast when it open time so you can stop by, say hello and chat with fellow contractors. Great way to met fellow contractors & grow your network. About once a quarter they have an off hours gathering. Last one was a River Cruise. How great was that!!! There is also the 'open office' concept in the client's cafeteria for another chance to met & great of fellow consultants. Benefits good too.

Cons

Not sure of one at the moment.

Body Shop

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Celerity, LLC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Commercial Consulting with OK companies

Cons

No real culture, poor infrastructure and not very good at disguising that money is the only thing that matters there

My experience there was probably a little better than the 1 star rating, but I noticed that over the last few months this small company has gone from a 3 star rating to a 4 star rating so I can only assume a targeted campaign to pretend to be something more than what they are: They are a really good staffing firm in the IT consulting space. But they are a mediocre consulting firm. The clients aren't government, which is somewhat good career-wise, but otherwise work/life balance was OK, but every interaction with them felt like a negotiation. It can work for the right person but if they sell you a career rather than a consulting gig...you're barking up the wrong tree.

Not a consulting firm

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at Celerity, LLC (more than a year)

Pros

It's not a half bad staffing firm

Cons

It's NOT a consulting firm

This place pretends to be a staffing firm but ask them how long there bench time is. Ask em. I dare you. They will tell you 10 business days...after you've been on assignment for a year. That is a slightly above average consulting firm. You are picking up a gig when you go there. Nothing more. The place can be useful if that's what you're looking for, but don't take a permanent job thinking its a permanent job. They have no issues lying to you and telling you it is. Ask how long there bench is and what happens when they don't have a next assignment for you immediately. That should tell you all you know.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Celerity, LLC as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

My recruiter was very honest about the company where I would be consulting before I applied. Helpful information including insider terms and abbreviations were made available early on. Training opportunities are available, as are WebEx presentations, and helpful information on the corporate SharePoint site. There are quarterly happy hours where I've been able to meet many of the other Celerity consultants in my area.

Cons

Celerity is limited by the rules of their clients. This might mean they can only communicate with just one person at the client corporation to receive feedback for you.

-More options for 401k
    -Rules about paid time off occurring the same month as overtime could be a little more clear.