Celgene Reviews

Reset
2.0
Celgene President & CEO Robert J. Hugin
Robert J. Hugin

Pros
  • Compensation is great, and they offer stock options (in 10 reviews)

• Excellent pay and work life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication and disorganization is the norm (in 4 reviews)

• Interns are VERY rarely brought on as full time employees (in 4 reviews)

1. No Hope for Contract Employees

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Wayne, NJ
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Wayne, NJ

I worked at Celgene (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Company with a great cause and purpose.

Cons

This is a biopharmaceutical company that saves peoples lives that is obviously growing tremendously. The contract workers consist of a majority of the employess who are the most hardworking and loyal people I know. They are not rewarded or even offered any benefits. Which is ironic. The management is terrible . My experience was not a good one. After speaking to HR about being in a toxic department with some abusive managers they did nothing to correct the situation. I am no longer working there despite the rave reviews I received from my other bosses. I do not recommend this company.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes to the lack of Management and bring your company up to speed. My gut feeling is that this company will be bought out in two years. The systems are not up to speed and the people who are amazing should be recognized. Do not be afraid of change as it is the future to survive in the industry!!

Good products; bad working environment

Pros

Fair compensation, diverse portfolio of approved products with a robust pipeline

Cons

Shady marketing practices; Lack of separation of functions; Commercial tries to run the show in every regard; Work Life balance is not respected; Unprofessional behavior is common and goes uncorrected by management

clin ops

Pros

compensation is fair and coworkers work well with each other

Cons

management restrictive and the quality of your work doesn't matter, you get promoted based on how much you can BS your way. Management doesn't follow Celgene values themselves and they evaluate you.

5. Former Employee

I worked at Celgene full-time

Pros

Good Company if you eliminate CCT Management

Cons

CCT- Under qualified, inexperienced, unprofessional Management

Advice to Management

Corporate should replace CCT Management with people who know the industry and who know how to be professionals

Look Before You Leap

I have been working at Celgene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for the most part and hours are flexible. Most people stay for the stock rewards. People are impressed by the name...they wouldn't be if they really knew what went on here.

Cons

Your happiness and work/life balance with this company is directly tied to the division that you are in and your direct manager. Managers in some divisions have little leadership or management experience. There is a definite disconnect between Sr Leadership and certain divisions within the company. Little to no communication. Broken processes are just accepted as the norm.

Advice to Management

Wake up and reach out to your employees!! 360s should be mandatory throughout this company. No one should ever have an annual evaluation performed on them with less than a 12 month tenure. My HR business partner takes a week to answer questions.

Corporate IT Under the Covers

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Berkeley Heights, NJ
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Berkeley Heights, NJ

I worked at Celgene as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, product pipeline and CEO. Stock performing fantastic. Many departments offer flexible work hours. Great colleagues. Challenging projects and lots of work.

Cons

The IT corporate systems team is an absolute disaster and dysfunctional. Very weak and inexperienced leader in IT SLT who lacks executive presence, cannot influence anyone in the matrix IT org, never mind the business as a partner. Order taker mentality, blaming everyone else for delivery and other problems and deflects everything including mistakes while being nice and trying to be liked by everyone. High contractor turnover, poor communication and mistreatment which is why I left. Contractors are second class citizens but there also does not seem to be much growth for full time staff either as I observed. Team morale is low.

Advice to Management

Replace some of your IT leadership team with senior and experienced leaders that know how to lead, influence and motivate people and are not just out there for themselves.

8. Associate director

Pros

Stock options and RSU. Location convenient. Growth potential. Pay and salary is competitive. Cannot think of any other.

Cons

Many are not qualified for their job. No motivation to work hard. No accountability.

Advice to Management

Promote those who deserve

9. Contractors do ALL the work, employees take the credit

Former Employee - Contractor in Summit, NJ
    Former Employee - Contractor in Summit, NJ

Pros

If you ever get hired, you'll have to do nothing for great benefits and stock options. You don't really need to know much to be a valued employee

Cons

They make sure everyone knows you are contractor by putting (non-Celgene) in your email address, the directory at every turn there is an employee to ask/tell you what work needs to be done. But don't expect any help, input or even instructions - but there is not shortage of people to critique what you

Advice to Management

Time to rethink your entire approach to IT, especially IT middle management

Lack of communication. Management. changes their minds about direction often.

Current Contractor - Analyst in Summit, NJ
    Current Contractor - Analyst in Summit, NJ

I have been working at Celgene as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

I did have one manager that was a good leader but the company squeezed this individual out of the company.

Cons

There is a lack of communication from management. Also, the goals change constantly with no communication about direction. I had several management changes and some of them were unstable personalities. Those that are unstable tend to get promoted. The company also tends to hire those connected to people already working there ie. Friends, relatives, etc.. The group I am in doesn't promote team work. There was no training or SOPs.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on the gossip and things that aren't important to the work. Focus on the work and communicate the goals to the team. Promote team work & SOPs & Training.

Nice Company Stock Wise. But That's About It. Average Company At Best

I have been working at Celgene full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good stock price. Steady pay that's on-time every time. At my site my co-workers are nice.

Cons

Ever since our acquisition management as a whole really doesn't seem to be in touch with what they're doing. Limited professional growth in my field. Basically when something better comes I'll be jumping ship.

Advice to Management

Focus on the team members in your area who actually do a good job behind the scenes. The ones that make you look good. And actually listen when they talk to you.

RSS Feed </> Embed