Cell Genesys

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve Sherwin

What happened?

Scientist II (Former Employee)
    South San Francisco, CA

ProsGood work atmosphere, very friendly and sincere people. It was a fun place to work, along with a good network building opportunity. Good pay and great benefits. You could tell that Management cared about its employees, even during the last few months.

ConsDidn't like the friction between certain R&D groups, could sometimes be distracting. Very saddening to see the way things turned out.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdjust planning and expectations accordingly with tangible progress.

A sad loss for the biotechnology community

Senior Research Associate (Former Employee)
    South San Francisco, CA

ProsI enjoyed my job at Cell Genesys. It was a great group of people to work with and the atmosphere was productive and focused. The benefit package and salary was generous and the HR department was very good. There was open communication and cooperation among most departments. The company had a family atmosphere, with regular monthly social gatherings for employees. Employees were able to have flexability in their work hours, which made it family friendly. I hope I can find a similar environment in my next employment opportunity.

ConsUnfortunately there was a massive downsizing of employees, and the South San Francisco site has been closed.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the bar was set too high in the clinical trials, with a patient population too advanced in the disease for a successful outcome. I still think the therapy has value for a specific patient population for cancer treatment, and I sincerely hope the work can continue.

Cell Genesys WAS a good place to work

. . Engineer (Former Employee)
    Hayward, CA

ProsGreat product POTENTIAL. Friendly workplace. Some talented people. Workplace sweeties.

ConsThe company went under due to third phase clinical trial failures. A disorganized work place. Scattered odd people were in middle managment postions. Middle management did not communicate well to each other ,or to reporting employees. The decision making processes were poor. These poor processes lead to numoerous poor technical decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter technology transfer from bench scale to manufacturing scale.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cozy working environment, yet challenging future for the company

Scientist (Current Employee)
    South San Francisco, CA

ProsVery nice working environment.
    Friendly atmosphere.
    Close interactions within and between departments.
    Stable finance situation despite of the challenging macro-environment.
    Those are the reasons for the low turnover rate and long employment life for many employees.

ConsCompany has focused its strength on the development of GVAX, a cancer immunotherapy product. However, this product is a brand new one and highly risky. Taking this into account when you consider joining in this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement team should encourage employees to speak out, to express their opinions more freely.
    Most time during a company meeting, no feedback comes from employees.

It was fine for me

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEffective products, congenial and competent co-workers, good middle management, decent facilities, authentic commitment to quality, good training, opportunities to grow

ConsTop management seemed to be operating in a different world from front-line workers. Layoffs made no sense in terms of what the departments needed to function.

Great experience working at Cell Genesys.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery good benefits and good working environment. people there treat you with respect. compensation and bonus packages are fair. management treats you with respect.

Conscertain work related issues may take a long time to get through because of the red tape. better communication between groups.

Advice to Senior Managementthe leadership may need to be a little more organized. there were many committees but communication could have been more efficient.

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, solid middle management.

ConsSome disconnect between certain departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing what you're doing.

Worked for Cell Genesys? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cell Genesys reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cell Genesys CEO Steve Sherwin. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Cell Genesys employees.