Cellular One

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Jonathan Foxman

Very pleasant, Learned a lot about the Telecommunications Industry.

Tech Support Specialist (Current Employee) Greenbelt, MD

ProsSupport staff was very helpful, decent hours.

ConsYou had to work weekends and holidays, Passed over for promotions I thought I had.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Small company with none of the benefits of a small company

Field Technician (Current Employee) Jacksonville, TX

ProsSmall work groups, very short chain of command, low site numbers (25-30)

ConsNo budget, no trust of employees, poor management, no room for advancement. Too many types of equipment...ie. (Nokia old and new 2 and 3G, Ericsson, Nortel, Huawei) Had to purchase my own tools.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees incentive to go above and beyond. Do not be afraid to give something other than criticism. Provide what you agree to provide.

The best job I ever had.

Special Services/Customer Service (Current Employee) Bethlehem, PA

ProsBenefits, promotions, treated like a valued employee and not like a number.

ConsAT&T Wireless merged with us.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to running the company like Vanguard Cellular One ran the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, a good experience, gained more organizational and multi-tasking skills

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) McAllen, TX

ProsDecent pay, overtime availability, flexible hours, work with school schedules, bonuses available based on stats

ConsManagement is not up to par, not always someone there to help you out, not many advancement opportunities, seems as though some reps are more knowledgeable than supervisors.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick more qualified people for management positions, give more opportunities for employees to advance within company. Make sure supervisors and managers are knowledgeable so they can actually be of assistance to their reps.

Cell One was good until they laid everyone off..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Luis Obispo, CA

ProsDecent pay and great benefits for area, enjoyed the people I worked with, given the freedom to do my job, no micro-managing

ConsI was basically doing 3 jobs at once and was laid off because they were consistently losing customers and they didn't want to continue to pay me what I was getting. Within a few weeks, most of the other employees were laid off and now they're left with a skeleton crew. The owner lives out of state, so made decisions that were based on money and not performance. I got a call begging me to come back and do my job for a short time, but considering I got laid off with no notice, there was no way I would help them out. There's no where to advance since the company is local only and they were losing money. Wireless isn't doing well anywhere, let alone in a non-national company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere wasn't anything the management could do, with the owner making all the decisions.

Case-study for productivity through kindness

Staff Accountant (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsCollegial atmosphere with transparency in processes. Tremendously high level of concern for employees by senior management. Timely and relevant goal-setting for the most part. SMT was quick to communicate the goings on in the company to all levels of empoyees. SMT was very approachable and easy to talk to.

ConsSlightly slow to adopt new technology and rework existing processes. Should have created procedure manuals from day one and maintained them as processes were revised and policies adopted in the face of changing circumstances. This sort of documentation is invaluable when training new employees and retraining existing employees. The oral tradition does not suffice to transfer knowledge when you're trying to do your work and train someone else to do it too.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing really, they did an exemplary job. Some of the middle management was a bit mean, but you can't expect the SMT to police their reports all the time. There was also a little bit of an exclusionary atmosphere in the finance department. A little bit of nepotism or favoritism too.

was great to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat work environment
    decent pay
    good work staff

Consclosed call center without notice to employees

Company seems to be failing loosing more customers every day

Retal Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat manager but out of touch upper management!

ConsTrying to compete in a market that is 3G but non 3G also trying to keep plans as competition. Less sales!

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter plans and treat employees better.

Okay place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfun people and flexible schedule...really great benefits

Consfocus on time on calls

Why didn't you stay another two hours to finish?

ProsI've met some really great people, customers and coworkers. Most Co-workers believe in customer service and want to generally do the right thing.

ConsDuring recent upgrades, we have faced some serious network "challenges" Our customers are frustrated and want to leave us because we can't demonstrate that we know what we are doing. Customers coverage area has been affected and now we don't have them covered where they work and play(Centennials old slogan). Our solution, determine where they spend the majority of their time(if it's in the coverage area or not) to see if that's good enough for them and encourage them to pay full price for part time cell coverage. That's like buying a car that only cranks on Thursday. When sales reps miss quota, we evaluate how much time they actually spent working. If they worked 48 hours and didn't hit quota they should have worked 52 hours and not hit quota. Sales reps are "required" to hit exceptionally high targets for outbound/teleprospecting calls daily and when they don't management wants to know why. "Well, it's because I've been helping customers all day determine how much time they spend in the service area. And why there picture messaging won't work, and why their internet doesn't work, and why their bill went up.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need to be the "covered where you work and play" people again. Almost all of our customers came to this company because they could rely on being able to make phone calls in rural and secluded areas. Our network seems to be held together with rubber bands at times.

Worked for Cellular One? Contribute to the Community!