Cellular Sales

Cellular Sales Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Cellular Sales Founder & CEO Dane Scism

Dane Scism

Pros:
  • "Flexible schedule : Good work life balance : Good atmosphere"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Great work life balance, I work 5 days a week approximately 35 hours"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "With every 100% commission job you are required to return commission if the sale does not stick"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Charge backs and new management are making most reps look for work elsewhere"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A Business Professional's DREAM!

Team Lead (Current Employee)
    Wayne, PA

ProsAs a "Business Professional", your hard work will pay off immensely! Verizon Wireless Cellular Sales offers an excellent career opportunity for individuals who are looking to "work, while at work".

Cons"If you don't try, that won't fly!"

Employees have a set monthly quota which is VERY attainable. However, you must meet or exceed company minimum standards in order to remain employed. (not really THAT much of a con if you think about it!)

Great Sales Opportunity

Mentor (Sales/Trainer) (Current Employee)
    Brookhaven, PA

ProsFantastic leadership, they care and support you. I consider my coworkers to be part of my extended family. Scheduling is very lenient and not predetermined. Beautiful stores for our customers. You have a huge opportunity for growth given the uncapped earning potential. I've been in the industry for over 5 years now and I can tell you that Cellular Sales is an excellent place to consider for employment.

ConsIf you are not a driven individual or motivated by money then this is likely not the right career for you. Otherwise, I have nothing negative to report.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue growing!

Overall Positive!

ProsWorklife balance.
    Good teams.
    Lots of potential.

ConsUps and downs in the industry. Undercut by bigbox stores

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Couldn't imagine being anywhere else

Team Leader (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsUnlimited earning potential, strong & creative leadership, great work atmosphere, teamwork!!, so many products to profit off of, always changing & growing, you get what YOU put into it

ConsIt's retail. You know what you're getting.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to employees.

Where ETHICS come before SALES

Team Leader (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsI love working at Cellular Sales for that fact that I can actually HELP customers, most sales jobs I have had in the past were all about the SALE NOW, were all about selling no matter what. Cellular Sales made it clear to me that repeat business, customer service and being ethical come way before just making the sale. We have a trememdous atmosphere with tons of dedicated professionals that LOVE coming to work. I run a team in the Bensalem-Philadelphia area that goes out together, works as a team or more important as a family.

ConsThe challenges working here having been some staffing issues in other areas, it seems in a world that so many people are unemployed we sometimes can't find quality people. I have confidence in our new recruiting team though and feel that we are ready to make a VERY postive swing.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's wonderful to work for people that care about you. I have grown in this company from trainie, to sales rep, to store captain, to Team Leader. Every step of the way I felt appreciated, but more importantly I was never asked or felt like I had to be UNETHICAL to succeed. Thank you for being a company with INTEGRITY

Flexible and profitable Work Environment

Philadelphia, PA

ProsBeing happy is the key to making sales and at Cellular Sales you have the ability to pick your own schedule and work location. We also enjoy the highest commissions of any Verizon retailer.

ConsSome employees struggle with a commission only position, but most make an easy adjustment when they see the size of the commission.

They asked their employees to give 5 star reviews

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsAbility to make your own schedule (not so much anymore)

ConsRecruiting currently sent out an email asking their leaders and mentors to give 5 star reviews because current jobseekers won't come in for interviews after seeing glassdoor reviews Management is awful, reacts are absurd (you lose 5-6 times more money than you made on the phone you sold. Yes you can make $10.00 on a phone but have $60.00 taken from your paycheck.. It happens every month), commissions have been drastically lowered since my time being here. If someone walks into the store and steals an item, YOU get charged the full retail cost out of your paycheck. Your "bosses" that do the same job you do get an extra $2,000/month added to their check to keep you in line. You literally have no voice and are reprimanded if you speak out.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should treat your regular employees better. It's really no surprise that corporate, Best Buy, etc. are demolishing you.

The best job I have ever had. I wake up in the morning excited to go to work.

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Columbia, SC

ProsVery flexible hours. If your good at it its fun and easy. Great work environment. They treat their customers with respect.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Taking in bound calls to assist customers. Getting a replacement for their lost,stolen, or damaged phone.

Tech Protect Representative (Current Employee)
    Knoxville, TN

ProsAmazing flexibility with your schedule, you can pick your schedule to a tee. It's also great to have 15 minute paid breaks to relax and recoup. Great ways to make extra money when selling phones in any department. Great benefits with our paid time off and vacation time.

ConsHandling our PTO system. If the call center closes people have no choice but to spent their PTO hours. No bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp get more feedback from employees, recognize more for achievements.

The Honeymoon was Over Quick!

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

Pros1. Somewhat flexible hours
    2. Co-workers were fun to be around
    3. Made lifelong friends

ConsWhere to begin. I have a lot to say and little time to write it. I will begin with pay. It sucks. Don't believe the crap you read on hear from people who claim to make a lot of money. They must be paid informants from Cellular Sales.
    1. When you begin to work here, the first 3 motnhs you will only be paid $10 an hour for your time. With no commission. So if you are in day 89 of 90 and you sale $1000 worth of phones that day, you will not make a penny off of it.
    2. When your training ends, you will not be paid for another 2 months. Let me give you an example. If your training ends on May 31, 2014 and you first day of earning commissions is on June 1, 2014, you will not receive your first paycheck until September August 15, 2014. That is how it works there. The same applies for July. Whatever you made in July, you will not receive until September. Get my point? So once your training is done, you will NOT be paid for another 10 weeks.
    3. I will now add insult to injury in #3 and #4 here. First off, when the initial schedule is made, those who perform the best receive the best schedule. In order to make money here you have to work EVERY WEEKEND. Since you are new you will be at the bottom of the performance ladder. This means that you will work on slow days throughout the week with no store traffic. So, that first "Real" paycheck that you will wait 10 weeks for after your traiing is done will be very little. And it will be like that for a while.
    4. Chargebacks. If you or somebody on shift with you sale a phone to a customer and they cancel service within the first 6 months, the commission that ALL OF YOU made on it will come out of your next paycheck. So lets say you sale a 4 phones on April 1, 2014 totaling $400 in commsion and the customer switches service to T-Mobile on October 31, 2014, your December paycheck will be -$400. Even if it is one day before the 6 month limit.
    5. People are shady. But then again you have to be to make money here. We never had phones in stock. They always wanted us to sale Android phones because they made more money than iPhones. Problem is we never had any good ones. We would sale out of the Samsung Galaxy phones in a week and only had LG Lucid 2's, which were free with a new 2 year contract. They sucked. Customers would always bring them back once they realized they could go to the corporate store and get the LG G2 for free.
    6. Customers were always pissed. I remember when Verizon was offering a $100 trade in for any used iPhone towards the purchase of a new one. We had the same thing but for $50. And it was only $50 if the phone was in great shape. I was told to tell people that you would only get $100 from the corporate store if it was in mint condition. Many customers soon found out that was a lie and would return irate demanding their phone back and complaining to Verizon headquarters about our practices.
    7. Stereotyping. Every time a young black man wearing a pair of jeans and a hat came into the store they labeled him a "Hershey". That is a person who is very likely to not pay their bills and lose service within the first 6 months. One night I ignored it and sold a phone to a guy who seemed to fit that description from Cellular Sales point of view. My manager was pissed that I sold this young black male wearing a pair of jeans and a baseball hat a new iPhone. I late rrevealed to him that the young man was in the military stationed at a local Army base and just got from Afghanistan, eager to get the new iPhone. I am a black man from Louisiana and I never experienced such racism in my life. Completely reprehensible! He later apologized. I can't make this stuff up people.
    8. Last but not least, Cellular Sales is only off 3 days a year. Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter Sunday. You WILL WORK on New Years Day and July 4th. Silly.
    I laugh at people who take this seroiusly.
    If you want to work in the mobile retail industry, go to Verizon, AT&T, ot T-Mobile corporate store. This is not where you wanted to be.

Advice to Senior Management1. Pay people more. I.e. salary and commission
    2. Change the culture. Especially the stereotyping. Fast!

Worked for Cellular Sales? Contribute to the Community!

Cellular Sales Videos

Cellular Sales – Why Work for Us?

Cellular Sales is the nation's largest premium retailer Verizon Wireless. Mission: To provide an unparalleled customer service experience. Cellular Sales is a 20-year-old privately held company founded and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cellular Sales reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cellular Sales CEO Dane Scism. All 290 reviews posted anonymously by Cellular Sales employees.