Cellular Sales

Updated December 15, 2014
3.2

Cellular Sales Founder & CEO Dane Scism
Dane Scism

Pros
  • I have a flexible schedule in a unique position that is both challenging and fun (in 34 reviews)

• Flexible schedule : Good work life balance : Good atmosphere (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • 100% commission pay structure with employees absorbing 100% of company losses (in 27 reviews)

• Charge backs from customers not keeping service a min of 181 days (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Move on unless you are desperate and have a 3 month bank roll to pay your bills.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Cellular Sales full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really interesting people working here. They move you to a new store location as a team every month. Could be 50 miles each way sometimes. If you can make it 3+ years you might be able to make $60K a year even with chargebacks and missing inventory. It is definitely a challenge daily and unlimited income means 30-35K your first year unless you open lines without telling customers. 2nd year maybe 40K. 3rd year maybe 60K.

Cons

This is not Verizon and you are not a Verizon employee. You will never work for Verizon if you work here. Misleading Verizon atmosphere. Like working at a used car dealership most of the time.
    Chargebacks on store inventory, returned phones and cancelled lines. Can cost you 2K per month in some locations and you have no control over it. It's whatever management says it is. You will work 10 hours per day 6 days per week and get paid for 8. You are on call to cover for when someone quits, gets fired or calls in sick. Excessive turn over of newbies, 80% are gone in 6 months.
    Commissions are great except for aggressive team chargeback system. You might not even get a paycheck for 4 months. Older reps have learned the system and feed off the newbies.. We love it when the newbies come in.
    Most of the 5 star comments here are probably written by management. Go talk to someone working there in private to get an actual assessment of the work conditions.

I liked working there for last three years but my it was time to move on and do something more fulfilling. The whole structure of cellular sales in Ft. Lauderdale/ Miami is just wrong. Kind of like working as the Wolf of Wall Street. You just feel like you are doing something wrong if you are "Winning". Advice to management: Rework the business model top to bottom.

awful

Former Employee - Account Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Cellular Sales

Pros

none none at all
    long hours and you are way underpaid
    managers work same hours and never on same shift

Cons

100% commission
    long hours
    deactivation s= money taken away from you
    unless you are in the "in" crowd you dont get a good schedule
    work at 8 different locations and not paid for travel

I Was Not Cut Out For Sales

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Cellular Sales part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Fun training in NJ
    -Paid well if you work hard (but a huge chunk is taken out in taxes and there is no change in your bracket which is bad because due to your commissions you don't earn the same each month)
    -Good coworkers (if you're lucky)
    -Share system in place works well if you're having a slow day
    -Easy to get time off if you plan ahead

Cons

-They will shove unnecessary sales products down your throat which subsequently you have to shove down your customers' throats
    -You are not compensated for the numerous training and meetings which any normal company would have to pay for
    -Shady work culture sometimes
    -Drive to different and far locations, but no compensation
    -Management is pretty bad
    -Days without customers and rather than being able to do your own activities, the company wants you to clean the store and put up signs again without pay

Being on all commission is fine and understood when we sign up, but don't make us participate in anything other than sales or attend any mandatory meetings/trainings if you are not planning on paying us for it.

You work as an independent contractor but are taxed as a regular employee. It is a straight commission job

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at Cellular Sales

Pros

The opportunity to make 6-8k a month is attainable with this retail oriented position.

Cons

Very little option to have a personal life.

Cellular Sales Response

Dec 16, 2014National Recruiting Manager

Dear Sales Rep in Orlando,
    Thank you for your review. Just one clarification. Cellular Sales hires strictly employees, no independent contractors. Our desire is to treat you as your own business
    ... More

You get what you put in

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Kinston, NC
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Kinston, NC

I have been working at Cellular Sales

Pros

You get out what you put in. If you are didicated and build a relationship with your customers, they can become your forever clients. It's like any job, if you work hard you reap the benefits.

Cons

First 60 days in the negative due to paying back "draw". Returns, deactivations, theft is taken out of employees pay. "Slackers" ride off the backs of the hard working sales reps.

Option of being paid an hourly dollar amount OR your commission. Which ever one is the higher dollar amount.

An honest view into the daily world at my Cellular Sales

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Cellular Sales

Pros

The opportunity for endless commissions earned is an enticing offer that is true.

Cons

I have worked for the company for over 3 years and my pay schedule has changed over 3 times in 3 years.

From month to month you will have NO idea what you will actually bring home. Numerically you will have an end of month total that you can see earned. Looks great $4,500.00 oh yeah. But after adjusted sales, returned sales, charge backs from deacted lines( up to 6 months ago to the damn day exact), and charge backs for missing accesories, your actual take home after taxes could be less by 100's or even 1000's every single month.(Secret, Cellular Sales makes money off you at full retail for unaccounted for accessories and missing phones) They charge us the Reps at full cost for any missing product, phones etc... Then pay out bonus checks to those reps that sell the most accessories each month.

This company has a share profit pyramid pay sytem. You the Rep are at the bottom, your Team Leader is above you, and his bosses above him, so on and so on....

Your "Team Lead" is your manager/fellow sales rep. This means he has to sell along with you and reach sales goals just like you. However, he makes a bonus off of all of your sales if he reaches his goal. He earns in the 3 figures every year too. This in turn means he will manipulate shifts, close off shifts, steal new line sales from you, add additional shifts to stores for his needs, and step on any rep he sees fit in order to make his monthly bonus.

Now your main job is to sell, you make no money if you don't sell. That means you are not paid for Bill payments, or customer service. Since customers don't know that this is not a "Real Verizon" we are expected to help customers with pretty much what ever their issue may be and charging them fees for our services are hugely frowned apon.

Fellow reps will cancel your phone orders, steal sales, come on shift before their time, walk actual customers and do private unshared appointments, and unshare you from sales as long as they can get away with it. There are no set rules except what fits for the moment in that particular setting.

Each market is different, each team lead is different and runs his market differently. There are no Ethnic or Female team leads in any market. No advancement opportunities, more responsibility options are available but no added pay for doing extra duties.
    There is no cash drawer either. So this means that you are responsible for making change for all cash sales and customer payments. You are financially responsible for turning all coin currency into cash for your deposits. So you better get ready to go to the bank and take money from your personal account for these transactions since the store deposit safes have no coin slot. Hmmmm, really?

I've seen allot of reps come and go due to pay inconsistencies which is the biggest factor. Our dollars earned from actual sales from phones have constantly declined over the years and the money is just not sufficient for the "VERY high liabilities we the Rep have to contend with". The competition, Corporate Verizon, Best Buy, Walmart, A Wireless, Bj's, Online, allot of the times kill our pricing so we lose allot of sales just due to inability to price match without losing all of our potential earnings. This company does not lose, ever, so remember that when you sell an IPhone to the guy that doesn't want to port his number, want to pay in cash, and doesn't even ask about the plan. Because that 8.00 you earn on that sale will cost you 6'xs that when he reports the phone lost in 2 days.

The glory days these guys used to have as independent contractors making $6-8,000 per month is long gone. You are now an "employee" that is paid 100% commission, paid hourly as a monthly draw from your previous month's earnings broken up into 3 monthly checks.(Did you get that, it's easy to understand, what's wrong with you, simple math right)? All taxed individually too. So working 5 days a week and being an average rep not lying and stealing to make your sales may earn you $3-5,000 monthly before deductions. But average take home after all said and done mabey 2,500.00-3,000.00 if you're in an ok market. In order to do more you will have to live by "Appointment sales" as 80% of your sales. But keep in mind your deacted charge backs are all yours and not shared so your gains are lost 6'xs over. So enjoy.....

Oh yeah you drive weekly to multiple locations, no gas reimbursement, no vacation pay, no sick days, no overtime, and you'd better get your shift covered if you want time off.
    I mean other than those few things Cellular Sales is the right company for anyone.

Listen to your good reps concerns. Please, your business is a solid company with great potential but your choices in team lead are destroying one of your NC markets. Literally one of your top teams are imploding due to wrong team lead that is getting ready to have your company in major trouble.

Great concept but NEEDS management, HR, and a process of handling employee issues.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Cellular Sales

Pros

Some of the best things about working here is the absence of micro management. There is also NO cap on commissions which makes YOU responsible for what you make.

Cons

The work life is OK. The problem is the lack of any leadership between YOU the sales rep and the Regional Directors. That means a couple things. ZERO chance for promotion and DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA. Those who are more "friendly" with the RDs get say over things that they shouldn't. Too many times, the double standards are too evident and ultimately bad for the company as a whole and terrible for those on the floor.

Investigate things BEFORE firing people. Stop talking to ONE person in the store and ignoring everyone else. TELL THE TRUTH as to what to expect as far as pay is concerned in the specific store. Commissions differ between Sandy Springs, GA and Yakima, WA. That's a fact jack.

Lots of earning potential if you want to be dirty

Former Employee - Wireless Sales Representative in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Wireless Sales Representative in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Cellular Sales full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Short shifts, Lots of flexibility,

Cons

Commission only. Pay held for 2 months. You work with people who make big money by lying to customers and adding lines to their account that they did not ask for.

Pay a base salary and get rid of the lying employees.

Sales representative

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Savannah, GA

I worked at Cellular Sales

Pros

Unlimited income potential. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Charges back.
    You have to travel to different stores sometimes far away with no mileage compensation.

Do something about chargebacks.

The Opportunities are Endless

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Cellular Sales full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with Cellular Sales in Central FL for almost 4 yrs now. I had doubts being in Sales at first. But the company taught me to be myself and use the tools they provide to give the best customer experience possible. You have the best resources and great team support, to keep you up to date in the technology, promotions, tips, training and angles in problem solving. Our leaders works with you, from helping guide you to make your goals to assisting in getting your shifts covered, if needed. Our Market managers celebrate us for our birthdays, anniversaries and achievements. They are always working hard to find ways to help us make better money. And you have lots of flexibility on your schedule.

Cellular Sales gives you all the opportunities for a successful career. What you do with it, is up to you.

I truly enjoy my job.

Cons

Just like all sales, the carriers are competitive. However, Cellular Sales has their hands tied.

I have the pleasure to be able to work with our Upper Management and Leaders often. And would only say praises!