Cellular Sales Reviews

Reset
3.4
Cellular Sales Founder & CEO Dane Scism
Dane Scism

Pros
  • Flexible schedule : Good work life balance : Good atmosphere (in 34 reviews)

• Flexible hours and pretty good work life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • 100% commission - company splits profit on a sale 50/50 with the rep(s) (in 27 reviews)

• iPhone charge backs from fraud are ridiculous (in 27 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Fantastic Sales atmosphere in the wireless industry

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Cellular Sales full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for numerous wireless companies and retailers in Maryland, but Cellular Sales is the best. I am finally being paid what I am worth. No more hourly pay and horrible commissions. They pay a draw vs commission meaning if you're really good you make really good money. If you're not so good you can still get by. We rotate stores which is awesome. At first I wasn't so sure, but who wants to work in the same room Forever? Not me. This opens up more opportunities to network and grow my paycheck. We also get to pick our own schedules with a draft system. If you show up to work and put forth good effort you usually make at least $200 a day. Edge has really helped with chargebacks too. Love it. Tons of advancement as well.

Cons

You have to help new reps a lot. Not a big deal for me though. There is some driving. Some days maybe only a 15 min commute to work and some days 45 minutes. It takes a few months to make really good money, but they pay you hourly while you train. Not a bad trade off.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting from within. Keep bringing in great talent.

2. Flexible schedule

Pros

Great with job for college students, ability to make your own schedule, comfortable environment, growing company with room to advance.

Cons

Sometimes you have to deal with rude customers while still providing excellent customer service.

3. It's OK, but still a dead-end.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Cellular Sales (More than 5 years)

Pros

Money is ok, and scheduling is done by draft, so where you land on the draft is based on how you did the past two or three months. This can be good or bad, but it gives you a little more flexibility.

Cons

Considering our pay is strictly commission, the constant hiring of employees and adding shifts to stores that do not need them waters down your ability to make any money. Also our "team lead" is useless. There is absolutely no management at this company what-so-ever. Our printers will run out of paper and no one has ordered it, we will run out of supplies constantly, and nobody orders anything. There is no leadership at all.

Advice to Management

Look out for your employees. Do something that makes us feel more appreciated, instead of hiring a bunch of inexperienced people who blow sales right out the door.

5. It's a job.

Pros

Flexibility and hours are the positives. You basically pick your own schedule and easy to switch shifts.

Cons

Not a career, commission based, retail. You only make money at a good location.

Advice to Management

The advice to management is to actually have managers training and developing reps more than once a month.

6. retail hours are tough!

I worked at Cellular Sales full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job itself is attractive. Cool Technology. Truly get to help people and find good solutions for them. I learned a lot about cellular services in the process.

Cons

It was pure commission compensation and to earn anything approaching decent money you had to work evenings and weekends since it was a retail environment. Not conducive to a family person. The shifts were allotted through a draft system. The most successful people 'drafted' first in the rotation, very similar to the NFL draft. Of course they chose the most lucrative slots. So it is difficult, as a new person, to move out of the weaker stores and the morning shifts to the shifts where you can expect to see more buyers. Also charge backs made it difficult to know what your check would be.

Advice to Management

There's nothing to be done about the retail environment, but the draft system might be revised. Perhaps a round of drafting, followed by a random assignment, a round of drafting, etc.

7. Not what it's cracked up to be.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

Pros

-Potential to make decent money -Almost never alone in a store -You're guaranteed to bring home your draw amount even if you don't make a commission check.

Cons

-I have been here for one year and have come to realize the guys that hired me sold me a dream. They told me on a bad month i would make 5k and on a good month between 8k-10k, Very few people ever hit 5k where I'm at. What I have come to realize is if you want to sell with integrity and make a decent living this is not the company for you. -Corporate locations have much better deals and it is hard to compete with that. -You are payed off the "draw system". Meaning you technically get payed for every hour you are in a store but every penny of that comes out of your commission check. You also have what we call "Deacts". Deacts come from customers you sell to OR any rep that sells a phone while youre on the floor with them. If that customer deactivates their account within the 1st 6 months you get hit with half the total retail cost of that phone. So, lets say you made $3,000 and your draw checks came out to be $2,000 and you got hit with $700 in DEACTS (Which isn't abnormal) You now have a commission check of $300 before taxes. So you made $2,300 (before taxes/insurance) that month and you worked at least 5 days a week.

Advice to Management

-Be real with the employees you're trying to recruit. This is why the turnover ratio is so high here. Be more competitive on the phone pricing.

8. If you worship money...

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Representative in New Market, MD
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Representative in New Market, MD

I have been working at Cellular Sales full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Money, best Product in the cell phone business, money. Full commission, great opportunity to learn responsibility and earn your own paycheck selling a great product.

Cons

Slickster's.. Perception is an illusion. The dress code is only a cover. Most of these employees are young and former Bar hops, servers, and casino workers. Ethics are taught, morals are expressed, full disclosure is expected, but all thrown out the door in the hunt for a sale. They will push a sale down your 90 yr. Old grandmother's throat. They don't believe in selling what fits the consumers preference or personality. For instance, they have exclusive deals with particular manufacturer's, they will push this device all day, because they make the most incentives on it. This isn't a bad thing, but they represent Verizon, therefore customers expect honesty and Sincere advice. Not coercion to line your pockets. Training is a gauntlet. You get paid better than minimum wage, but it lasts too long. You don't get your first commission check until three months after you've started training. So, your making others money in training, then you start selling to qualify for full time employment, but you don't see that commission pay, you have to make enough to get a bonus. After this period, you are paid commission two months later. Which can be very lucrative, but can dwindle in the months between if you don't hit your numbers. Look at this job like a barber shop. You are paid upfront like a draw, but they deduct that money from you when paid commissions. This can work for people, and it is a very good opportunity, but you have to have very thick skin and be able to see dollars. Because the people you work with only talk about money, and aren't the most ethical around.

Advice to Management

There isn't really management. Money talks, excuses walk. Don't make young kids manager's. Maturity matters in employment. There are very hypocritical practices in this company. They expect one thing from you, but they do another. It's as if they want you to fake it until you.get on the floor. Their excuse is, there is always a grey area in sales. Is it truly 50/50 split? Have a training to combat the house making so much money. Guys have so much to.deal with in one transaction that it's easy forget about your sales.

9. Not great, not too shabby

Pros

Easy schedule, flexible, can be a fun environment.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement.

10. Too high of turnover, can lose job at anytime

Former Employee - Sales Manager in East Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in East Rochester, NY

I worked at Cellular Sales full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Make your own schedule, work as much or as little as you want

Cons

Volatile workplace, no job security. It's not the real Verizon, need to call real Verizon for any issues... So look stupid to customers... "hold on while I call real Verizon to fix your issue".. Smdh

11. Sales rep

I have been working at Cellular Sales full-time

Pros

Good pay, benefits, independent, fun.

Cons

Inflexible schedule, long hours, short staffed

RSS Feed </> Embed