Cellular Sales Reviews

Updated August 30, 2014

3.3

Cellular Sales Founder & CEO Dane Scism
Dane Scism

Pros
  • Flexible schedule : Good work life balance : Good atmosphere (in 36 reviews)

• Great work life balance, I work 5 days a week approximately 35 hours (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • With every 100% commission job you are required to return commission if the sale does not stick (in 23 reviews)

• Charge backs and new management are making most reps look for work elsewhere (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

they don't care about their staff

I have been working at Cellular Sales

Pros

Flexibility...you can take time off when you want as long as your shift is covered.

Cons

Fraternizing and favoritism are huge with this company. Doesn't seem like equal opportunity at all.

quit sleeping with your staff and gain some moral and ethics

Google of the cellular sales world

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Kennewick, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Kennewick, WA

I have been working at Cellular Sales full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You're selling with best product in the best possible cellular sales environment. It's an extremely simple management structure where the top if happy if the bottom is happy. They teach you how to run a company from the ground up.

Cons

There is a lot of responsibility expected from management that some employees don't recognize they'll have in the beginning (inventory management, product knowledge, customer retention).

Don't change.

BEST CAREER IN WIRELESS

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Cellular Sales full-time for more than a year

Pros

-flexible work schedule
    -industry highest commissions
    -positive culture
    -extensive and paid training curriculum
    -upward growth
    -growing market
    -weekly sales training
    -leadership training
    -401k and health benefite provided

Cons

-must be able to sell to make good money
    -must be able to drive to multiple stores
    -gas could be a real cost depending on where stores are located in your area.
    -no immediate management positions, promote from within
    -No paid personal days or vacation days

nothing at this time.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for self starters that don't need much supervision to excel

Current Employee - Field Technician
    Current Employee - Field Technician

I have been working at Cellular Sales full-time

Pros

- lots of scheduling flexibility
    - experience in a growing successful company
    - great entry position to the I.T. field
    - privately owned company

Cons

- starting pay was good but not much advancement available
    - not very structured
    - sometimes poor communication from the top down which leads to general confusion on future direction

Communicate better with the technicians out in the field. Get a better hold on the market directors so that they don't dominate the technician's time with menial tasks that hinder productivity.

Pros/Cons

Current Employee - Cellular Sales Representative  in  North Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Cellular Sales Representative in North Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Cellular Sales full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, decent pay for amount of time put in.

Cons

Very unethical, charge you for every little thing.

It not your fault.

Take advantage of the freedoms and uncapped commissions.

Current Employee - Cellular Sales Representative  in  Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Cellular Sales Representative in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Cellular Sales full-time for more than a year

Pros

*Highest commission payouts in the wireless industry
    *freedom to work without a manager always being on the floor
    *encouragement to get outside the store and find business
    *change of scenery between multiple locations (which also creates more opportunity for more clientele.)
    *flexible scheduling and ability to get your shift covered without having to go through management
    *shared commission on phones for those days that you happen to get the customer service issues yet they keep accessories and all other add on's non share so the lazier reps have to actually contribute instead of share-riding
    *full health benefits
    *great people to work with and great people to work for. (The RD's and Teamleads and other sales reps)
    *extreme increase in income for most people.
    *Bonus's on top of the commission

Cons

Cellular sales cons
    *possibility of working federal holidays
    *not observing local holidays (ei: Mardi Gras, which is taken very serious in the state of Louisiana)
    *no paid time off or sick days (you can easily get your shift covered if you're fully staffed though)
    *All commission bothers some people (myself not included) but you will make at least $10 an hour if its less than your commission but if that is the case then you should probably find a cashier job because you should NOT be working at cellular sales!

Verizon issues are the bigger issues which are not cellular sales fault, but they are still cons.
    *Not having a way to help people change their address, or phone number or other simple tasks that we should be about to access without constantly having to call customer service
    *Verizon indirect managers can't do much to help you with credits, or system errors out of CS control

look more into unethical reps that are pulling in numbers, but doing it the wrong way, it really hurts our reputation. (which they are getting much better about that in our particular market.)

dysfunctional nonprofessional work environment

I worked at Cellular Sales full-time

Pros

no limit to income from commissions , and work almost when you want with a draft like schedule

Cons

commission sharing with not enough traffic to share.. back office is dysfunctional .. delay in response to anything

train your employees better

Start being truthful to your employees and stop treating them as if they were A customer.

Former Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Cellular Sales full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule. Nobody stands over your shoulder. Your coworkers will become lifetime friends. Discounted cell phone bill. You sell the top wireless service with Verizon.

Cons

I am not just some disgruntled employee. All these statements are true. If you scan over the reviews other reps have left on this site you will see that the reviews are either really bad or 5 stars. Hmm I guess that's just a coincidence. I have personally been instructed and have seen emails that were sent out asking there employees to post 5 star reviews to counter balance the really bad reviews that are posted here daily. Where to begin?

1. Absolutely no room for advancement. You have 1-2 team leaders (mgmt) for hundreds of sales reps.
       2. They Work you overtime without pay. The company was even sued with a class action lawsuit for such practices. You are also expected to attend mandatory meetings that your not paid for as well.
       3. Your forced to sell bellow average, refurbished/used equipment to customers to make any commission at all. Example= You have to sell $8 car chargers for $30. How stupid do you really think customers are?
       4. You pay back half your paycheck every month for Deactivated accounts and missing equipment that might have been lost or stolen. (Example) If you sell a customer an IPhone on a 2year contract your commission is $50 if said customers account is deactivated within 6 months of your initial sale you pay back your measly $50 commission plus the cost of the equipment loss which totals to around $280. Now just imagine if you have 3-4 sales like this coming off your paycheck. Not to mention the fraudulent iPhone sales you have to eat. People are coming into the stores and getting 3-4 iPhones for free and then turning around a selling those phones on Craigslist for several hundred dollars. If this happens to you, You have to pay cost for those phones. I have seen numerous times where sales reps get there paycheck and they have been charged over A thousand dollars for this fraudulent activity.
           Now if a car charger comes up missing on your shift you have to pay back the full retail cost of the item. Not the $8 cost they assign to the item but the $30 retail price they charge customers (Which in all reality cost them $2-$4)
       5. You are Instructed to profile customers. Racially at times! To protect yourself from deactivations, theft, and fraud. These customers are referred to as "deacts"
       6. There is absolutely no benefits other than the crappy health insurance they have and the 401k that you can get after a full year of employment. ( Most employees don't stay a full year anymore) PTO is unheard of.
       7. The training for new sales representatives is laughable. In the market's I witnessed the trainers are only paid a small percentage if there trainees sell a certain amount. The reason being is the high turn over rate of there employees. It's gotten so bad that they will hire just about anybody.
      8. Your schedule is based off of a monthly draft. The top sales reps get first pick of the (good shifts). Insuring that the rich get richer and the others get the shifts nobody wants. Everybody's 1st pick is A (mandatory shift) that nobody wants to work. So when you start out on the sales floor you will draft last. It will take you at least 3 months from your first day to even move up in the draft. That's one month longer than it takes you get your 1st real paycheck. Most everyone has to take draws insuring that you 1st paycheck is really crappy.
      9. The sales floor is flooded with reps. They schedule more reps than there is work stations at some locations. You share just about every equipment commission. Remember that measly $50 commission you made on the iPhone I spoke about earlier. Well you just cut that up 8 ways. You can spend an hour with your customer and then only make $5 off the sale. It's ridiculous.
      10. The company provides absolutely no monies on the premises. You are responsible for making change if the customer pays with cash. There would be several times A day that I would have no change for the customer if they paid w/ cash. Making it very embarrassing when you have to tell a customer that you are sorry we have no change to provide you. Not to mention the personal security risk you take having to carry all that cash on your person daily just to supply change.
      11. If A customer returns a phone that was purchased from one of there stores you are encouraged to resell said phone immediately. If the used equipment isn't sold within A week or so you are required to turn the phone in to there inventory closet where they repackage the "used" equipment and send it back out to there stores as A new phone.
       I could go on like this forever but I think you get the idea. I would only take a position with this company if it's the very last option you have.

Your greed is directly causing the kind of service your customers are receiving. Start appreciating your employees and stop treating them like customers.

Overall Great start in a sales career

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Cellular Sales full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, great if your obtaining a degree on the side.
    Easy sale to customer.
    uncapped commission

Cons

Average to poor leadership.
    commission charge-backs
    commission is going down
    I'm a top performer and do not get the schedule that i request.....this all depends on who your team lead is.

Stop talking bad about other reps

One job I regret taking !

Former Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Cellular Sales full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

College kids that need experience and not worried about money could learn how to sale and acquire some experience, but that is about it.

Cons

#1 lots of charge backs and equipment loss. #2 Lots of driving to different stores. #3 Lack of management at store level lead to various kinds of unethical business practices and no accountability.. #4 Company promotes business image, but is in reality ran like a frat house. Bad behavior is rewarded and no accountability of market directors.

Cellular Sales management has a bunch of Dane's frat brothers and college friends running it. Most that I met seemed like spoiled brats that never earned a living on their own and treated their sales force like they were disposable. Based on what i have seen , I see no change coming from top down coming, just reduced pay for the sales force. I am glad to be gone.

Worked for Cellular Sales? Contribute to the Community!