Cellular Sales

Updated January 27, 2015
3.3

Cellular Sales Founder & CEO Dane Scism
Dane Scism

Pros
  • I have a flexible schedule in a unique position that is both challenging and fun (in 34 reviews)

• Flexible schedule : Good work life balance : Good atmosphere (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • 100% commission pay structure with employees absorbing 100% of company losses (in 27 reviews)

• Charge backs from customers not keeping service a min of 181 days (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Not the worst, but far from the greatest

I worked at Cellular Sales full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Schedule was really flexible. As long as you remain toward the upper portion of your sales team you should be fine.

Cons

No PTO. Commission structure can be a little complicated, especially during your first three months. Just like pretty much any job there are favorites who are able to avoid the rules, and people who do the right things that get clipped by the rules

Try to work on a little transparency, and maybe some paid vacation time.

Learned a lot at first, then wasted my time sticking around

Former Employee - Wireless Sales Representative in Hattiesburg, MS
    Former Employee - Wireless Sales Representative in Hattiesburg, MS

I worked at Cellular Sales full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The job offered the "opportunity" to make a decent amount of money, If you were willing to put in the time and effort. Very little micro management. Plenty of freedom to try to make your money however you wanted to. The hours are flexible if your "team" isn't having staffing issues. There is plenty of sales training and coaching sessions. Management is always willing to help you close a sale.

Cons

Work/Life Balance: In order to make a decent living in this position, you needed to put in a lot of hours. These hours may not necessarily be inside the store or "on a shift", but to make the money you had to put in time. Add in frequent unpaid sales meetings, unpaid market meetings, and the extensive driving you will be doing between stores (you will work at more than one store and they will be in different cities and towns),to arrive to a very skewed work/life balance.

Compensation: Bad benefits/insurance. Chargebacks (money taken from your paycheck) on a phone are greater than the commission you earn on the phone. Other various deductions from your paychecks (items missing from the store, phones that people steal from the inventory, etc.) will turn what appeared to be a month in which you earned 4K in commissions into a substantially smaller amount. When you leave the company, they will hold 6 months worth of chargebacks from your last paychecks to protect the company. The chargeback withholding essentially insures that you will work roughly 1 whole month for free. Bonuses are often conveniently forgotten to be added to your check. Don't forget how much money you will be spending in gas going between the stores. I left for a job that actually paid less per month than what I averaged in my monthly commissions at cellular sales, but my monthly income is now higher.

Outlook: Contract cell phone sales are a dying breed. The cost of subsidizing the phones is getting to be too much for wireless providers to handle. Cellular Sales struggles to stay competitive in pricing of contract phones and relies more on the salesmanship of its reps to move its products. Customers are getting more savvy, though, many are purchasing phones from online and big box stores, then coming to cellular sales stores only when they have problems. The opportunities for growth within the company are limited, and the job does not shine that brightly on a resume. Many employers outside of the wireless industry see the job as just anther retail gig, not the "professional sales" job that management pitches the position as.

There is little you can do. You will still be forced to hire the less-than-desirable candidates because the gulf coast area simply has better opportunities. The people you usually hire will not be swayed by any of the cons I mentioned.

Don't expect anything

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Arkansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Arkansas City, KS

I worked at Cellular Sales full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Commissions pay, cool people, supportive management. Good service, fun environment.

Cons

Charge backs, if a customer cancelled service 6 months after buying you lose all commission plus some. Long days, no traffic most days. Horrible employee discount.

Get rid of charge backs, pay hourly plus commission

If you like retail hours, then its a good fit

I have been working at Cellular Sales full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can work every day if you want. You can give up shifts to have time off. You will learn a lot about phones.

Cons

You will work with all sorts of different personalities. If you are opinionated and like to voice your opinions, this isn't the place. You will not be heard unless you are a top producer.

Even better than it was hyped up to be!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Cellular Sales full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The flexibility is unlike any other with similar compensation. The work environment is incredibly supportive. For a commission job, everyone is extremely helpful and caring. The interview process was phenomenal. Extremely professional. Entrepreneurial environment. Ability to give yourself a raise by simply working more.

Cons

You have to learn how to unplug from the office. Customers receive your phone number on each receipt, so be sure to provide great service to everyone...this can turn this con into a pro.

Continue with solid communication and transparency.

3 Years with the company

Former Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at Cellular Sales full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Appears to be decent pay until you receive your paycheck with all of the crazy deductions removed. List of decuctions are almost impossible to understand, which is done purposely to keep you from realizing how much they are screwing you.

Cons

The company takes so much money out of your monthly paychecks

At least pretend to care about your employees

Good Entry-Level Position

Former Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant in Nashville, TN

I worked at Cellular Sales full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The starting salary for entry-level recruits was solid. The commission was also decent, as long as you were aggressive. High quotas, yet they paid out well when met. Competitive environment.

Cons

Never having a set schedule, opportunity to move-up was not always attainable. Cut-throat environment, but yet had many sales people who became lazy and just brought down the overall morale.

Train properly, encourage to always be high-energy and hopefully sales will stay up.

I have found this a great place to gain experience in the world of Cellular phone sales

Current Employee - Cellular Sales Representative in Southeastern, PA
    Current Employee - Cellular Sales Representative in Southeastern, PA

I have been working at Cellular Sales full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great training, and very good compensation compared with other premium resellers. Ability to set your own schedule, and flexibility of which retail outlets you may work.

Cons

The number of hours necessary to make the 5k a month I was told at my interview. Lack of a consistent store inventory. Some store representatives are less than ethical.

Pay closer attention to ethics on the sales floor. Fully stock the stores.

Good experience with an array of business opportunities

Former Employee - Sales in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Sales in Savannah, GA

I worked at Cellular Sales full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The different types of products gives you plenty of opportunity to make money. Just as any other sales position its what you make of it. You can make as much or as little as your efforts putting forth.

Cons

The travel in certain districts can be a hassle and bothersome.

Keep up with your team as individuals and not as a whole unit at all times

Very unprofessional

I worked at Cellular Sales

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, good products and they pay for training.

Cons

I was hired one through trace staffing, i went to their training in syracuse (basically them selling you the company) and it went well. My trainer when i got back basically had me sit there and watch him, when i asked if i should do anything he said no. I was let go by the staffing company and was given a very vague reason and nobody in cellular sales would give me a straight answer on why they chose not to go forward with my training. I was told i was being negative on the floor(i was never on the floor), i talked about fellow employees (i knew nobody, why would i do that?!). This was my far the worst employment experience ive ever had.

You need to step up and answer questions from employess you decide to let go. Hiding behind a staffing company is demeaning and cowardice. If someone is doing something you dont agree with, tell them! Most problems can be fixed.