Cellular South Reviews

1. Company name is now C Spire Wireless

Current Employee - Systems Analyst
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst

I have been working at Cellular South

Pros

Company name has changed to C Spire Wireless. Good opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Decisions feel very corporate. I think the author of Dilbert used to work here.

2. qa tester

I have been working at Cellular South

Pros

good environment and good team

Cons

learned new technology and tools

3. Okay company if you have a desire to be here for the long haul.

I have been working at Cellular South full-time

Pros

Good pay.
    Multiple opportunities to network and learn.

Cons

This definitely a corporate world. Remain on your toes because certain people will try to sabotage you. Not much diversity. The culture that is taught in the beginning is not the culture that is there. They state that they are customer-oriented but they are just like every other telecommunications company which is profit-oriented. It would be beneficial to have a degree in computers or business or both.

5. desk job with great pay

Former Employee - Intern in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Intern in Jackson, MS

I worked at Cellular South

Pros

free cell phone for you and your family
    great benefits package
    very competitive industry with plenty of change
    friendliest people you could everr hope to work with

Cons

some down time, you have to "look" busy or else management will say something to you about it. limited time off during your first year.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work, I enjoyed working with you last summer! get the iphone soon. have a broader phone selection.

6. Not a good one.

Current Employee - Service Representative in Gulfport, MS
    Current Employee - Service Representative in Gulfport, MS

I have been working at Cellular South

Pros

Pay is decent. Benefits are good.

Cons

Listen to alot of complaints from customers.

Advice to Management

Need new regional management.

7. Entry-Level

I have been working at Cellular South

Pros

401k
    100% medical
    Vacation/Paid Time Off
    Nice people to work with.

Cons

Not enough room to advice, no minorities in upper management. There is too much fraternization with management and employees. Those who believe in the company and a have a passion for doing it “The Right Way” are not promoted. Those who have the experience are stuck at entry level positions for years. Supervisors talk to staff like 5 year olds.

Advice to Management

There is a LOT of TALENT within the comanpy, there is no need to hire outside.

8. Superb vision at top but middle management is a speedbump

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Ridgeland, MS
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Ridgeland, MS

I have been working at Cellular South

Pros

Even with the bad that I know of them, upper management for Cellular South is top notch with great vision and dedication. The company is very involved in the local community and benefits are pretty good. The majority of people are very easy to work with. The company has been growing extremely fast recently so growing pains are a part of the game, but it is great to be a growing company in a down economy. Technology seems to be on the cutting edge of telecom business and is on par with other national carriers. Upper management has been altering the business based on year-end surveys and that has been a big plus in my book.

Cons

The southern charm loyalty to long time employees is keeping true talent from being seen and heard since many of the old timers play the “cause I’m the boss” card rather than comparing ROI and true business needs. Employees are scared to use the internal feedback email address because HR tends to be part of the bureaucratic problem that sometimes equates to a stab in the back. Expect to be at work at or before 8a since arrival time is monitored electronically by HR and late employee reports are sent to your boss. I had a co-worker get in trouble for an 8:02a arrival time which seems like HR treating him like a 5 year old. A good experience here is departmentally specific and based on whether or not you trust your boss to defend you.

Advice to Management

First, good job! Second, continue listening to employees directly rather than middle managers as the trusted voice of what is happening in the company.

9. Unable to Utilize Experience and Talents

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MS

I worked at Cellular South

Pros

Nice people to work with in immediate areas of work. Fairly comfortable environment to work in. Good medical benefits.

Cons

Very few job advancement opportunities; a very closed system. Mid to upper management does not leverage the knowledge and experience of personnel who have come in from other companies with more experience. Very frustrating when one cannot fully utilize their skills and talents.

Advice to Management

More fully recognize and utilize the experience and talents of your people at lower levels and give them more opportunities to grow.

10. Job

Current Employee - Network Technician
    Current Employee - Network Technician

I have been working at Cellular South

Pros

The benefits and stability of the company.

Cons

Very little recognition of any kind. Very little room for advancement. Not able to go work for another cellular provider without having legal action taken. This allows cellular south to keep employees from makeing the same pay as other company's.

Advice to Management

Give your employees a way to leave feedback via anoymous e-mail. You may be surprised what you get. Re-instate the I have an idea program.

11. It's not perfect, but I love working here.

Current Employee - Software Developer I in Ridgeland, MS
    Current Employee - Software Developer I in Ridgeland, MS

I have been working at Cellular South

Pros

- Colleagues (and management ) are very friendly and always willing to help when needed.
    - Current employees are eligible to participate in the company's pension plan, stock ownership plan, and 401k.
    - Management provides regular feedback of job performance.
    - Learning opportunities are plentiful.
    - Management encourages the voicing of new ideas and different perspectives.
    - No request of mine for professional training has ever been denied.
    - Members of senior management have proved themselves to be qualified for their respective positions.
    - Senior Management communicates effectively and is actively involved in current projects.
    - Within the company, there are many opportunities for advancement (as well as more lateral shifts).

Cons

- In comparison to benefits packages at other employers in the area, vacation time at Cellular South does not measure up (especially for new associates).
    - In IT, the long hours can be sometimes be overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting the right people, and remember the importance of having a true work-life balance.

RSS Feed </> Embed