Cengage Learning

Updated August 23, 2014

3.3

Cengage Learning CEO Michael Hansen
Michael Hansen

Pros
  • Work-life balance is very good and benefits I find to be good as well (in 45 reviews)

• Great people from NGL organization; solid pedagogy in product (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management at MS needs to get on board with what our CEO is trying to do (in 35 reviews)

• Company appears to be moving towards less flexibility with work-from-home arrangements (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

I absolutely love the culture here!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Cengage Learning

Pros

Since day one, I was warmly welcomed into the company. The opportunities for professional growth and career advancement seem plentiful. I left a competing company because the culture turned for the worst. The culture here is amazing. There is a ton of transparency and communication from our leadership team.

Cons

We have recently emerged from bankruptcy and I think some people are still feeling a little skittish about it.

Keep up the communication and transparency. You are doing a great job building trust and that should always come first. Don't forget the lessons you learned along the way.

Love it here

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a pretty great place to work. There is a really diverse team of software developers here, more so than any other software company I've seen. The other employees are really fabulous and talented and friendly, and they work well together as a team. The management is encouraging, the work is interesting and feels important, and the work-life balance is better here than at any other place I have worked. Working here, I feel respected, and productive, and I have opportunities to learn new things and broaden my skills and contribute creatively to the project. Cengage is a great place to work.

Cons

I was worried when I started that the lots of new people starting this year was a red flag, but the company's policies (like pair programming and TDD) mean that onboarding happens pretty quickly, and people become part of the team and start contributing quickly.

Working at a big company as part of a big team of software developers, it's hard to see the fruits of my labor in action because I work on a relatively small piece of the pie. I've been thinking of signing up to audit a college class so I can use one of these fancy textbooks I've been building.

Cengage is a great place to work. There is a ton of opportunity to grow your career.

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time

Pros

Great leadership, plenty of opportunity to advance within the company and the flexible environment.

Cons

The industry is going through a transition which creates a daily challenge.

Continue to be more transparent.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marketing Intern

Current Employee - Integrated Marketing Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Integrated Marketing Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cengage Learning as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere and a very friendly and helpful environment.
    High level of communication and support from middle management
    I learned many things at Cengage and the Marketing team took me on as a full member and gave me meaningful work as well as work with other teams on projects.
    I was able to meet other marketing team members who came for quarterly reviews.
    Team outings
    No micromanagement
    Flexible hours, very understanding of the student life
    The company is having a more relaxed open work design which is beautiful and increases the feeling of belonging

Cons

The Chicago office is great and fun. However the times I sat in phone conferences and video with the CEO, I don't get a positive vibe from the top management at the headquarters at CT.

Cengage is a refreshing change among it's well-established peers as they understand the importance of students.

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time

Pros

Senior management has focused the company to create meaningful solutions for today's students. A strong energy is felt among the teams as employees are encouraged to collaborate on new ideas. The company recently emerged from Chapter 11 and now has a healthy balance sheet to help achieve these goals.

Cons

Transitioning the company has been rough for many, but all now are focused on the future.

Keep the focus on doing what's right to help students achieve success.

New employee in Boston

I have been working at Cengage Learning

Pros

Very collaborative IT team
    Great people to work with
    Positive environment

Cons

Growing company with growing pains - but all in a good way

Exciting Time For Innovation, Collaboration and Growth

Current Employee - Paralegal  in  Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cengage encourages education for employees to facilitate personal growth. There are lots of in house updates and brief courses to attend. The other team members I have met are interesting, excited, friendly and seem very dedicated. Our CEO delivers inspiring messages and addresses the business challenges head on.

Cons

It's challenging to make internal connections at first but we are moving toward collaboration and team building and that is really exciting! I hope to participate more in the bigger picture and be a part of making the vision happen.

Cengage is awesome

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time

Pros

Low stress, awesome technologies, exciting projects, actually making a difference, flexible hours, software craftsman, opinion matters, treated like a real human, no dress code

Cons

people get promoted and move a lot so you have to adjust to new managers and such but nbd

Keep caring about employees, keep making employees excited and happy, keep doing awesome stuff for the community.

Also, we are hiring too many people too quickly and I think we are just hiring bodies and not necessarily culture fit anymore...which is sad. A person who does not fit the culture is worse for the team than no person at all, brings down productivity and moral. I see this happening, innovation and software quality is being hampered buy non-culture-fit employees.

Cengage Learning Response

May 30, 2014CEO

Thanks for this feedback. I was particularly struck by your comment around cultural fit, which is a priority for me. We are indeed doing a lot of hiring, and as part of the interview process, we are ... More

Great

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time

Pros

Strong support community, encouragement and drive for success

Cons

still growing, but on the right track

Progressive, flexible company with lots of opportunity for advancement.

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule, decent pay, great benefits. The overall culture is getting better.

Cons

While the culture is getting better, other employees can be very stuck up and uptight. This isn't the case in the Boston or California branches. Also, Mason, Ohio is a suburban hellhole and a transportation nightmare. Not really an environment for young professionals.

Be upfront about bonuses. We hear all year that we may be getting bonuses, then BAM, no bonuses.

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!