Cengage Learning

Updated October 18, 2014
3.3

Cengage Learning CEO Michael Hansen
Michael Hansen

Pros
  • The company culture allows for some work flexibility to have a great work-life balance (in 53 reviews)

• Great work-life balance with work from home 2 days per week (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management at MS needs to get on board with what our CEO is trying to do (in 36 reviews)

• Company appears to be moving towards less flexibility with work-from-home arrangements (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Mediocre software development environments with great potential, being wasted.

Current Employee - Director in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Director in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedules, great colleagues and a cool mission, creating educational technology for instructors and students

Cons

Leadership is very out of touch with what is really going on with the people who do the work

Spend more time with people who do the work

Good place to work depending on the department

Current Employee - Project Manager in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work is challenging and the focus on process improvement keeps it interesting and competitive. CL is a very talented org, and is rebounding from Chapter 11 with renewed energy.

Cons

Departments vary drastically with regard to policies, i.e. working from home, flexing in/out, coverage when taking time off, etc. Within the departments, how managers carryout those policies varies drastically too. So, if you are in the most rigid dept with the most rigid boss.....you are miserable, though you may enjoy the actual work you do.

Survey employees more, take it to heart, and pinpoint inconsistencies in management, and regulate policies to create fairness. Pay more attention to intangible benefits such as employee morale.

Lots of opportunities to learn, but not easy to move up

Current Employee - Associate Content Developer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Content Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone, for the most part, is really helpful and friendly. It makes for a comfortable work environment. The company is pretty relaxed, no dress code, flexible hours.

Cons

Not easy to move up, especially in lower level positions. It seems like a lot of people get stuck for long amounts of time in certain positions.

a good company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits and bonus, fun people to work for and with.

Cons

changing management styles and managers. tough industry to work in, and changes in territory and job duties happen frequently

Micro Management; Managers don't follow Cengage Vision for employees, cannot think outside the box!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, KY

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and work/life balance, health fair are good components.

Cons

Raises; bonus program, management styles. No pension; lowered 401-K match; front line mangers are ineffective and hold power to control growth; thinking outside the box and advancement.

Listen to your survey's. Favoritism; Micro Management by your front team Managers; No chance for advancement; HR unfair and unresponsive to employee needs.

The good things about publishing.

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time

Pros

Work-life balance is best I've experienced in years. People go home at 5 and no one feels bad about it, because they work hard. In my experience, employees are encouraged to suggest ideas for positive change, and I have seen multiple of those ideas actually implemented. Employees are treated like adults, accountable for themselves.

Cons

Lack of attention to detail in some areas leads to frustration, but open suggestion climate allows for those areas to be addressed/improved.

Good Worker Bees, Suspect Managementr

Former Employee - Specialist in Mason, MI
    Former Employee - Specialist in Mason, MI

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary, benefits, overall good people

Cons

Suspect management, too many catty women

There is entirely too much interoffice politics and catty backstabbing

Good flexibility and people to work with, Out of touch senior management, no HR

Current Employee - Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy flexible hours and workload. I earn constant 'exceeds' reviews because I am able to constantly add more work to my purview. Lots of good people at the bottom who have great skills. The CEO seems very genuine, transparent, and forward thinking.

Cons

The senior management seems to not buy into what the CEO is preaching to us. While the CEO tells us to take initiative and make things happen, we are stymied by his direct reports when we actually do that. It's very much still top down, do what we say and we know what we're going around here.

Also, HR is not very interactive in benefits and pay. There are no performance based incentives here for anything under director level, and when any annual increases (well under cost of living increases) are given out, it's at the managers discretion. HR should be doing this, not managers who can favor friends or punish employees who don't agree with them on something.

#1 is there needs to be actual incentive for performance outside of "just be glad you have a job" (which is what I hear over and over from my director and VP). There are lots of jobs out there for people with great skills and abilities. That attitude just ensures you keep the people who can't get a job anywhere else.

The senior management need to follow through with what the CEO has for a vision for this company. They don't seem to get what he's saying, and they certainly are disconnected with what is going on at the ground level.

The best place I've ever worked

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time

Pros

I have the flexibility to work according to my own schedule and the freedom to innovate. All of my coworkers are knowledgeable and friendly. It's a fun place to work and I am excited each time I get to work on a new project. It's nice to see the changes that upper management is making in transparency and communication.

Cons

The organization is scattered across the country and you have the same challenges that any large company faces. Working on cross-functional teams can difficult at times but I work with great people and we figure it out.

Continue to empower employees to make their own decisions. Small ideas can become huge when you feel free to share them.

My Review of Cengage learning

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Mason, OH

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company is flexible as to your personal life. The departments I am affiliated with is team oriented minded group.

Cons

Working from home is frowned upon. I understand you cannot have collaboration at its best working from home, but I am so much more productive. It seems other departments have this option, at least a few days out of the week; we have no options.

i belive all departments should follow the same rules.