Cengage Learning

Updated September 9, 2014
3.3

Cengage Learning CEO Michael Hansen
Michael Hansen

Pros
  • Work-life balance is very good and benefits I find to be good as well (in 45 reviews)

• Great people from NGL organization; solid pedagogy in product (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management at MS needs to get on board with what our CEO is trying to do (in 35 reviews)

• Company appears to be moving towards less flexibility with work-from-home arrangements (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

New Management just guessing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage Learning as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great Developers. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Toxic work environment. Management not held accountable.
    Both Product and Technology management extremely disorganized.
    Company is attempting too many projects at once with terrible results.
    Leadership has people with publishing backgrounds trying to design software products.

Take the money you're wasting on redesigning the same versions of your products over and over again and invest in top level IT and Product Talent.

Good experience, relaxed workplace

Former Employee - Tax Analyst  in  Mason, OH
    Former Employee - Tax Analyst in Mason, OH

I worked at Cengage Learning as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Relaxing workplace, no dress code, friendly co-workers, work as a team to accomplish tasks, employee focused - holiday parties, employee outings, etc

Cons

Not a lot of room to grow, salaries are average to below average, tasks are mostly mundane, same process over and over

Sr Project Manager

I worked at Cengage Learning

Pros

Casual work environment. Nice office location. Decent work life balance.

Cons

No clear direction on what the company's mission is and how we are all getting there.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for short term experience

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time

Pros

I was lucky to work under a VP that empowered all of us to achieve goals. i learned how to balance work with personal commitments, which only motivated me to invest more time for the company.

Cons

Process bogged down abilities to address market needs.
    More being driven with templates, which limits effectiveness of targeting specific market segments and customer types.

Smart people, swanky office, interesting work

Current Employee - CONT
    Current Employee - CONT

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time

Pros

The new offices in San Francisco are great. My working group is smart, fun, collaborative, and I get to work on projects at many different levels for a nice variety of work during my week. The company culture allows for some work flexibility to have a great work-life balance.

Cons

I can't really think of anything endemic to the company--it may not be the right type of work for everyone. The location is cool but the neighborhood is still under construction and still can involve a long commute depending on your location, but it's the same for everyone in the Bay Area.

Long time employee who feels strongly that Cengage is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Mason, OH

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've seen a lot of ups and downs in the organization, and I feel the direction we're heading with the new Senior Management, the shift to concentrate more on digital and a more comprehensive list is the way to go.

Cons

If I had to say anything negative, it would be that I wish all senior management (especially some who have been with the Company for some time) would be as genuine, open-minded and fair as the new executive management.

Advice for my direct management...keep up the great work! For the new exectuive management...love the genuineness, frequent Town Hall meetings and constant communication...and hope it all continues.

Cengage Learning Response

Sep 19, 2014CEO

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. This week in Chicago I met with about 60 senior leaders as part of our Leaders of Change initiative. We talked about business performance, strategy and, very ... More

Great Colleagues, But Upper Management Needs To Make A Sincere Effort In Connecting With Employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

My colleagues in editorial, production, and rights & permissions were dedicated people who were passionate about the products they produced. The Corporation does offer excellent benefit packages, etc.

Cons

The norm at Cengage Learning, particularly in editorial, is relying on skeletal staff who are responsible for a ridiculously high volume of projects. Some vendors, especially those who took over the rights & permissions work, obviously do not have the expertise or background in copyright law.

Upper management tends to change workflows and processes without consulting staff who do the actual work. Their decisions make the daily work more difficult, in my opinion.

Please make a sincere effort to connect and communicate with staff, and stop being passive-aggressive.

Center for change in learning space

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to work and getting much better with the new top management.

Cons

Training and career development is the major issue.

Employee's development and career path should also be focus of the management.

Inside Sales

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Detroit, MI

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent collection of products to offer customers. Productive sales meetings including critiquing of recorded sales calls. Our sales group had a good manager and worked well together. The marketing support was solid and upper management stayed out of our way. Human Resources was always helpful when needed.

Cons

Can't say anything negative about the company. For me personally, I would have enjoyed outside sales as opposed to inside sales. The move to Farmington Hills made it more convenient for many though to be Downtown Detroit now would probably be more conducive to hiring a more creative workforce.

I absolutely love the culture here!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Cengage Learning

Pros

Since day one, I was warmly welcomed into the company. The opportunities for professional growth and career advancement seem plentiful. I left a competing company because the culture turned for the worst. The culture here is amazing. There is a ton of transparency and communication from our leadership team.

Cons

We have recently emerged from bankruptcy and I think some people are still feeling a little skittish about it.

Keep up the communication and transparency. You are doing a great job building trust and that should always come first. Don't forget the lessons you learned along the way.

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!