Cenovus

Cenovus President, CEO, and Director Brian C. Ferguson

Brian C. Ferguson

A great place to work.

I have been working at Cenovus

ProsFast paced, engaging work, good compensation.

ConsParking downtown can be difficult.

Contract Employee

Reporting Analyst (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Cenovus as a contractor for less than a year

ProsFridays Off
Contract Pay was indsutry standard
Enjoyed work

ConsContract was terminated with no warning - 5 of us across the division were let go all at once
Manner and handling of termination very abrupt, disrespectful and degrading to contract employee
Lack of leadership to very poor leadership at all levels
Lack of trust and respect in leaders - feeling was they say one thing and do another

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your contract employees with more respect. We contribute as much if not more than "permanent employees".

It's Ok, could be better

Maintenance Technologist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cenovus full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFridays Off, Offices, Christmas Parties!

ConsOrganization - Structure. Too many layers

Advice to Senior ManagementPush more for cost control measurements

Great at first, but...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cenovus full-time

ProsYoung, innovative, energetic feel. Top notch pay and benefits. Great perks. 1st & 3rd Fridays off. Nice offices. Awesome matching gifts program.

ConsWork life balance was elusive for me. Fridays off are great - if you can take them. Didn't take me long to figure out things are quite political. Felt I couldn't trust my leader.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the talk. Care about and be more supportive of your employees. Earn my trust.

Great learning experience.

I have been working at Cenovus

ProsYoung, ambitious, motivated company, give you a lot of freedom to work on big projects. Innovation Summit is a great experience.

ConsCenovus is only operating in Alberta Canada. They only do SAGD and do not have a very diversified business.

Recruitment Advisor

Recruitment Advisor (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Cenovus as a contractor

ProsGreat work place, Strong Leadership, work-life balance, great culture, work environment.. opportunity to grow career. Very competitive comp. Even though I was a contractor, I did feel like I was part of the company and had a say.

Consdon't have any to report in my role/team/view of Cenovus.

Summer Intern

Summer Student (Current Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Cenovus as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe pay was very well, and I was given very meaningful work. It made the internship more than just a time killer for the company.

ConsThe location was rather remote and I had to live on camp for the duration of the work term. Also the shift was 15 on and 13 off, so each week felt long.

Becoming a fearful, toxic environment

I have been working at Cenovus as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsFirst and Third Fridays off. Good location, can be flexible work hours. Great commercials.

ConsToo political - everything is based on pretense and relationships. Hidden agendas galore and people who are good putting on a facade are typically the ones that get praised while the "real" people do the work.
No leadership skills for management
Unfair treatment to contractors - contractors treated like second class citizens. Why bother hiring anyone as a contractor if they're not given respect/access/permissions to do work but are expected to deliver the same amount of work as employees. Alot of contractors and service providers aren't even shown on the org chart and are "hidden".
Massive workload with unreasonable deadlines/expectations.
Very low morale - everyone is working out of fear of job loss.
Too much water-cooler whispering.
Feels like a factory run by machines - no heart
Messages from leadership regarding Cenovus culture are empty words - the Cenovus culture is almost opposite of what they portray it to be. Huge disconnect between Leadership and the actual goings-on in the company. The culture at EnCana before the split was better than what it is today.

....Cenovus "in a nutshell"

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees AND contractors - be transparent.
Put more value on the people - they are the ones doing the work. Its not all about the numbers and its not "fluff". The people produce the numbers. Contractor satisfaction is very low.

Typical oil and gas IT crap contract

Senior Developer (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Cenovus as a contractor for more than a year

ProsPays well! Oil and gas always pays great money.

ConsPrepare to spend your days doing the kind of soul crushing, boring, out of date, factory coding. A 'new project' is something you dream of like the desert dreams of rain.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. I can't imagine how you could tell management how to improve.

Quick and nibble is not to be experienced here

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cenovus full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVacation time, 1st & 3rd Fridays, Benefits

ConsLots of layers of management so not a flat structure at all. It now takes forever for decisions to be made and even then a half dozen leads have to be involved. Leads now seem to not want to be accountable for making the 'wrong' decision. A culture now of stepping over $1 to pick up a dime - under the guise of watching capital spend. Talented people have started leaving the last 6 months despite the 'Pros' listed above.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the floors and talk to staff. Engagement isn't just the townhall or the one directional INC web postings. Create a way for staff to directly post their feedback.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Cenovus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cenovus reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cenovus CEO Brian C. Ferguson. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by Cenovus employees.