Cenovus

Updated November 12, 2014
3.1

Cenovus President, CEO, and Director Brian C. Ferguson
Brian C. Ferguson

Pros
  • Great work place, Strong Leadership, work-life balance, great culture, work environment (in 5 reviews)

• Good compensation and benefits with 1st and 3rd Friday's off and ability to purchase additionaly vacation time (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Away from home for a week at a time (in 3 reviews)

• Contract was terminated with no warning - 5 of us across the division were let go all at once (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent job not in my field

Former Employee - Engineering Field Student in Brooks, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Engineering Field Student in Brooks, AB (Canada)

I worked at Cenovus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Cenovus is one of the best run companies I have worked at. They have a great work culture, interesting work for chemical or mechanical engineers, and a commitment to helping their employees. If I had chosen to go down the path of one of those disciplines, I would definitely have applied for a full time job.

Cons

The biggest con for me, as I decided to look more at finance positions, was that Cenovus does not have a significant focus on finance roles for students.

Reservoir engineering student

I have been working at Cenovus

Pros

1. Very friendly working environment
    2. Every second Friday off
    3. Good salary

Cons

1. Office politics
    2. Management system not efficient

Lots of hype about what a great company it is to work for.

I have been working at Cenovus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent wages and benefits, pension plan

Cons

Moral is poor due to cuts

Poor project management governance in the IT Technical Services area

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Cenovus as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great to get first and third Fridays off
    Good hourly rate

Cons

> Manager not acting on reported problems about poor project management and abusive team member - puts project at risk and eventually leads to dysfunctional project
    > No consistency in the quality of project managers; PM neglecting the project schedule and communications basics -- where is the Group Lead for that PM; and then there are other PM's who are outstanding and who follow the PMLC and communicate very well.
    > Problems with role and responsibility definitions - solutions architects and BAs roles overlap and can lead to friction. Maybe BAs should not be on infrastructure projects?
    > Unprofessional somewhat abusive behavior tolerated.

> Give your PMO some teeth and back them up rolling out governance of the PM process.
    > Get the PM group lead to set some basic milestones -- without a proper project schedule the team and the organization do not know where they are going.
    > Don't overload your PM's with too many projects. The PM in question had too many projects on his plate to give them the kind of attention they needed.
    > Governance: Ask PM for a detailed project schedule (MS Project) after Charter has been approved -- at least detailed for the planning phase.

Great workplace environment

Current Employee - Power Engineer-SAGD Operator in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Power Engineer-SAGD Operator in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Cenovus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay, friendly staff, lots to learn & lots of responsibilities

Cons

being away from home and so on

TERRIBLE New Grad Program

Current Employee - New Grad in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - New Grad in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Cenovus full-time

Pros

- Similar compensation to its peers
    - 1st and 3rd Friday off
    - Nice commercials and advertisements
    - Charity donation matching program
    - The BOW

Cons

- Terrible New Grad Program compare to peers. TAKE ANOTHER OFFER and WALK AWAY! Do not waste your first 5 years of career development with this company!
    - The positive cultures are changing. CVE hired a ton of bad leads/managers in the last 2-3 years.
    - Zero career development, no development support from your leads/managers. They just DO NOT CARE.
    - New grad committee controls your life. Your career goal means nothing to them. They randomly rotates new grads into different roles without considering people's preferences or wants. Majority of the members on the committee don't even talk to you or know your face. Good luck trying to get into the group you want.
    - CVE over hired and now they do not know what to do with their new grads.You are stuck with your uncaring boss doing brainless work for 18 months until you rotate.
    - NO EQUAL OPPORTUNITY. Engineering New Grads> Geologist > Finance > HR > Summer Students > Accounting. So if you are an accounting new grad, PICK ANOTHER COMPANY OR FIRM!

Pay a little bit more attention to your staff's career goal because New Grads WILL leave once they are done the program.

Political monster

I have been working at Cenovus full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits with 1st and 3rd Friday's off and ability to purchase additionaly vacation time. Big company so there is the possibility of moving roles within the company.

Cons

Politicals rule. Leaders are picked from the pool of other leaders friends based on their brown nosing abilities and not leadership skills consequently this company is serverly lacking meaningful leadership. A good number of managers are more inclined to manage their own career instead of their team, so they spend more time networking and working out how to get to the next level.

Senior management lacks vision and seems to spend a lot of time and effort creating new posters, but then forgets to actually follow up or enact change. Recent company internal survey has highlighted the general dissatisfication of the staff, so will be interesting if they can or try to turn things around.

Manage your company.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Cenovus full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, 1 st & 3rd Fridays off, decent bonus structure. Great management in my particular area. Very approachable and open to suggestions/feedback. Handwork is is noticed and rewarded. Very focused on home/life balance.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Cenovus New Graduate Rotation Program

I have been working at Cenovus

Pros

1. Good pay
    2. Some decent positions

Cons

1. Terrible program. (If you have another job offer, take it)
    2. HR will rotate you based on "business need" and not your preference. If Cenovus needs janitors tom, you will be rotated there
    3. Your input is not valued, and you cannot do anything about it.

Nothing.

Advice to new graduates: Try finding a better company to work for. The Cenovus new grad program is literally the worst thing ever.

Depends on the group

Current Employee - Student Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Student Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Cenovus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good work life balance, nice people. Meaningful work. Really good pay, very nice building

Cons

Easily go 3 days without talking to anyone. No relationship with fellow coworkers... I worked here or 4 months and do not know if my boss has kids...