CenseoHealth

1 Rating

be cautious

Current Employee - Medicare Wellness Physicals in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Medicare Wellness Physicals in Madison, WI

I have been working at CenseoHealth as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

You can choose what days you work a month in advance. They provide a rental car and a tablet. You also have $50/ day for gas/ meals. They prefer you to stay in a hotel which they pay for and then you see all the members in that area over a few days.

Cons

You spend a lot of unreimbursed time in the car. I have attempted to remedy this by specifying a specific driving time from my home to clients homes. That wasn't successful. I then specified that I would see all members in certain counties. On average, you will spend 1 hour in the car on both ends of your day driving back to your hotel/ home. You as a provider are unable to schedule patients. (For instance, you get your list of members the night before so you can see on a map the distance between homes. If you try to reschedule the members closer together, you get a reprimand. Also prepare for a cluster of members first thing in the morning and a few late in the day. Also, there is no way they can fill in your cancelled appointment gaps that occur on the same day.) Bottom line, you really aren't paid as much as advertised because they can't guarantee your day to be filled.

Physicians, stay away

Current Employee - Physician
    Current Employee - Physician

I have been working at CenseoHealth as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Super fast recruiting and acreditation. Why? because there is so much turn around of physicians that they need to keep up to cover the holes. Nobody could work for this company for more than a month.

Cons

Unfortunately, I cannot go over their operations, details of the job or salary due to limitations in the contract, but what I can say is that all the bad reviews about this company are completely accurate and 100% real. Please read all the 1 star reviews and you will have the perfect idea of the real job.
    Please prepare yourself to be treated like garbage. You will ask yourself several times, why do I need to be doing this after all the effort that took to become a doctor.
    If we as physicians stop working for corporations like this, who take the advantage of holes in the system, they would be forced to close the doors.

Slowly getting better

Current Employee - Physician Evaluator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Physician Evaluator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CenseoHealth as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation is fair most of the time. They've increased the per diem rate which helps offset the costs associated with driving to the interviews. Most days, the appointments are clustered near each other. Use of the iPad has lessened the amount of stuff I have to carry.

Cons

Appointments are illogical some times. I've had to travel up to 15 miles between appointments and the 3rd appointment was actually just 1 - 2 miles from the 1st. Last minute cancellations translate into wasted time and lost income. Patients don't always have their meds or PCP info ready and it adds anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes to the evaluation time.

I wish scheduling would call the pts the night before to remind them of the appointments and to have their meds and PCP info ready for review. I wish pt info was down-loadable the night before because it can be easy to forget to download the info in the morning especially when I'm rushing out the door. Last-minute cancellations/no-shows should still be paid for (maybe $25) since it still takes time and effort to get to the residence.

Good in-between job

Current Employee - Physician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Physician in New York, NY

I have been working at CenseoHealth full-time (less than an year)

Pros

decent pay, nice people, ipad helps efficiency

Cons

sometimes not enough work or cancellations

Great, Growing Company!

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CenseoHealth full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have a lot of really wonderful people in my department. I thoroughly enjoy working for both of my supervisors. They are very easygoing about being flexible with my schedule on days when that is necessary. I have a good level of autonomy. I am able to tailor some of my duties towards my strengths, and am able to receive help in the areas that I struggle with. Occasionally there are some late nights, but there are also days we are able to leave early. I was around when late nights and weekends were required every week, but we have improved our processes and grown out of that phase and I am very happy with the consistent schedule I have experienced this year.

Coffee and Tea are provided in each break room. There are no cooking surfaces or ovens, only microwaves. There are also vending machines, and a market on the 6th floor is coming soon. Also, there is a wonderful cafe on the first floor. I eat breakfast or lunch there a few times every week.

Benefits offered include Health, Vision, Dental, Disability, and Life Insurance. No 401k option, but many positions have bonuses which allow for a little extra money each month to set aside for an IRA or 401k. There aren't really any other perks.

Overall, I find myself very fortunate for having found this job. I never dread coming to work.

Cons

The company is split on three different floors, so many people don't know each other. HR tries to schedule events outside of work to get everyone to mingle (monthly happy hours, Ranger's Games, 5ks, etc.) but it's rare for the entire company to be in one place together.

I wouldn't call the environment depressing, but it's very bland with NO personality. Very sterile and professional, which is how the upper-levels like it.

The way this building is set-up is not conducive to heating and air-conditioning individual offices. Sometimes there are extreme temperatures. Some offices or work areas are cold, and some are hot. Bring a jacket!

I have heard from several people that there is a large gap in pay. That some people (not just executives) make a lot of money, and others don't make very much at all.

I think allowing a little more "fun" in the office might lead to greater overall satisfaction and therefore productivity

It might be beneficial to look it over and make sure the pay structure looks appropriate for the level of management, and look into increasing the pay for the departments and/or managers that work as hard as other comparable employees.

This company needs problem solvers, in fact don't apply here if that's not a quality on your resume

Current Employee - Scheduling Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Scheduling Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CenseoHealth full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The money. 35thousand to 45thousand in bonus as a scheduling Coordinator, not including the $31,200 starting base salary. I mind my business, clock in clock out, take or skip my lunch. 2hours of over time allowed per day and up to 5hours on saturdays. Goals are attainable, if not surpassable Some people are competitive by nature and I enjoy this workspace. You sink if you don't ask for help, this company needs problem solvers, in fact don't apply here if that's not a quality on your resume

Cons

The attendance policy. Ive never had an unexcused absence but if I were to, I would not be allowed any O.T, and possibly go on corrective action for 60days

In all my previous jobs as a manager I always kept a professional relationship with my subordinates. I think it should remain that way. However in this environment, our department manager is very involved, not in a micromanaging way but more of in quality assurance sort of way. She has our best interest, there are periodic contests to boost the office moral, monthly company events and paid time off give aways. As cliché as it is, there will always be room for improvement.

Inadequate pay for the return to the Insurers who will benefit greatly from the data gathered!

Current Employee - Physician Contractor
    Current Employee - Physician Contractor

I have been working at CenseoHealth full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lower stress than direct care.

Cons

Physicians who work for <$100/hr. when their physical exam & diagnostic skills usually are far more comprehensive than the average mid-level are belittling their acumen. For the amount of information requested to be obtained accurately, the task would be more appropriately compensated at $150/assessment, especially in view of the detailed history portion and need to enter & review multiple medications as well as precisely determine diagnoses. Even at that rate it would only partially offset the frequent cancellations and drive time. To on the one hand admit that the usual assessment of a generally more frail population takes 90 minutes when responding to BBB complaints and on the other claim, that at most an assessment should take 45 min to "sell" the job, is disingenuous at best. In fact, having done many of these assessments for different companies there is rarely an assessment that doesn't take at least 90 mins., not accounting for any significant patient education. Looking at what normally is provided as "claims based" information, the physician assessment is invaluable to a more accurate "risk score" that has significant financial implications for the contracting health plan.

Appropriately compensate physician time for the best real time assessment possible and you will see a better result and risk less physician turnover. If not, it will become harder to recruit and maintain quality clinicians who will quickly spread the word that your purported income potential is way overstated!

Horribly Frustrating

Current Employee - Physician in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Physician in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at CenseoHealth full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm not tied to an office.

Cons

Horrible driving times. Horrible conditions to work in going directly to patients homes. Patients often rude, agitated, and have some real psychological issues. Alone in homes with patients. No nurses or other health care providers there for witnesses. Forms painfully too long. No benefits (medical, etc). Feedback min. From those at CENSEO after starting work there.

Better benefit package. Quicker communication.

Physician

I have been working at CenseoHealth

Pros

Working directly with patients, potential for identifying medical needs of at risk patients. Straight forward H&Ps.

Cons

I have been with Censeo for over a month.
    The company reimburses $100 per completed assessment. A rental car is provided, however you are not reimbursed for gas, nor is a stipend for meals (as noted by a previous physician reviewer) provided. The number of daily assignments have ranged from two to eight. However, there are at least 1-2 assignments per day where people have either cancelled (usually at the last minute and usually after you've nearly reached their location) or not been at home. As noted by previous physician reviews, logistics is frequently nonsensical and inefficient. An arbitrary starting point for a given daily assignment is chosen, which is 22 miles from my actual start location, with assignments as far as an additional 32.5 miles from this arbitrary start point. In addition, assignments have you cross-crossing an area. The driving time to my start location in traffic is usually one hour thirty to forty-five minutes. The commute home from my last assignment in traffic is up to two hours and thirty minutes. The driving time between assignments have ranged from 10 minutes to a half an hour. One hour is alloted in the schedule to complete an evaluation and travel to your next appointment. This gives you 45 minutes to complete the evaluation and 15 minutes to travel to the next location. In theory, with properly motivated and prepared patient, the evaluations can be completed in 45-50 minutes. However, pts are frequently unprepared, interrupting the flow of the assessment to get medications, medical paper work, primary doctors contact information, more medications that they didn't get the first time, taking personal phone calls, bathroom breaks, letting the dog out, etc. or giving long winded responses requiring frequent redirection. Medications are frequently not prepopulated on the forms, so if a patient is on several medications this can take some time to document. Because of these delays and travel time between assignments, you are frequently behind schedule. In addition, some patients are angry and confrontational because reportedly they were just told that they had to have an assessment and someone would be coming to their home, so I frequently have to spend a fair amount of time diffusing this hostility and explaining the purpose of the visit.
    Payment is slow (it was three and a half weeks before my first payment was issued, and this was only a partial payment). Payment is supposed to be weekly. Also, I have not been paid for two completed assessments without being notified that I will not be getting paid for them nor given an explaination as to why quality assurance flagged the evaluation.
    Finally, the print orders frequently aren't available for the next days assignments when I drop off the completed evaluations, which means I have to make an extra trip in the morning to the print location.

Clearly explain to patients the purpose of the visit and make sure they know the visit is not manditory.
    For pts with known dementia, who are predictably poor historians, please make sure someone who knows the pt's history will be available when scheduling the appointment.
    Improve logistics.
    Partial reimbursement for travel to appointments where no one answers or where cancellations were made at the last minute.
    Reinforce with the office workers that when a problem in brought to their attention and they say they will look into it and contact you the next business day, they need to actually follow-up. I have had 2 of 2 instances where I never received any call back after ample time (1 full week in one instance, before I called again; three days and counting in the second instance).

The job was easy, but overall could be very tedious

Current Employee - Physician Assessor in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Physician Assessor in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at CenseoHealth part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked for CenseoHealth part time two years ago, and was told that they were phasing out assessments in my area last year. It was an easy job basically requiring the collection of information for a predefined form, and performing a rather basic physical exam. A car was provided (if requested), and Censeo paid directly for the rental. The staff was helpful,and polite. I did enjoy the interaction with the clients who generally were quite complimentary, and as a retired physician it was rewarding to once again see "patients".

Cons

My major complaint was the driving time required to reach assignments which was not compensated. The cost of gasoline and meals was under compensated, and with fuel currently approaching $4.00/gal that significantly decreases the total compensation. At the time I worked for CenseoHealth I received $15/pay period which I assumed was for fuel, and possibly meals. On one assignment I had to drive 90 miles simply to reach the first patient. On average I drove 100 miles per day (often more) and spent at least 2 hours driving to and between assignments. I met one physician who complained that she had 5 assessments assigned to her and that all 5 had cancelled when she reached their homes thereby costing her gasoline and time for which she received no compensation. I tried to alleviate that by telephoning the clients the night before, confirming the appointments, and explaining what I was going to be doing and requesting that they have all medications available for me to review. We were always sent Mapquest directions, but I programmed a GPS which generally was far more accurate and easier to follow. I highly recommend this to other assessors. I found performing the same assessments over and over to be exceedingly tedious, and marveled at those who claimed they did 8 or 9 assignments a day full time. My average was 6 to 7 two days a week, and that was about all I could stand. On one assignment I found that the client spoke no English, and the interpreter was little better. Needless to say, I cancelled that assignment myself. I found that performing a good physical exam was often nearly impossible. Homes were often cluttered, not airconditioned, and beastly hot. Elderly clients were often unable to cooperate and disrobing a client without an assisstant was out of the question. Attempting to perform an adequate fundoscopic exam in a brightly lit room on an undilated eye in an elderly patient confined to an overstuffed chair was usually an exercise in futility. Physical examinations (such as they were) often did not seem to confirm the provided history (not unusual in and of itself assuming that the patient was adequately treated) yet the CenseoHealth reviewer returned a form stating that I should correct the physical findings. For example, on one occasion the history listed COPD, and I listed the PE as suggesting chronic bronchitis. I had to explain that chronic bronchitis was part of the spectrum of COPD,

Make greater efforts to have assignments close(er) to the origin of the assessor and subsequent assessments within no greater than 5 miles from the prior assignment. Make the final assignment the closest to the origin of the assessor. Compensate for the time required to reach the clients and compensate for clients who cancel once the assessor has reached their home (perhaps at a rate of 50%of full compensation). Provide full compensation for fuel and a reasonable meal ($5.00). If the physician's personal car is used compensate at least $ 0.55/mile