Centare

Updated September 22, 2014
Updated September 22, 2014
4.2

Chad Albrecht

Growing company that is constantly improving

I have been working at Centare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have the flexibility to play to my strengths. I've been presented with opportunities to gain more responsibility and work on a lot of fun and exciting projects. I look forward to going to work with a lot of extremely smart individuals, many who I have become good friends with. The culture of build, measure, learn is great and we are always improving.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like we are behind the ball when it comes to planning for things like conferences and training programs.

Continue being transparent, and stay on top of things.

Sep 16, 2014VP Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the positive review and for the feedback. We are always working on improving our planning for conferences and training programs - as you mentioned, the "Build, Measure, Learn" cycle! If ... More

Plateaud

I have been working at Centare full-time

Pros

All of the pros in the other review to-date are accurate in my experience.

Cons

There is a new focus on profit, growth, and making our investors happy. There seems to be a lot of decisions made in a top-down manner in the past year. There's more stress, angry/loud conversations, disappointing numbers, and general malaise than there typically was in the past. Things are generally trending downwards.

There's a lot of mismatch between what you say and the actions that are taken by the company.

Amazing place to work, for now

Current Employee - Software Developer in Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Centare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My coworkers are amazing to work with. There's a lot of talent and plenty of them are happy to help you learn new things. The company culture is super fun and very supportive. I never feel unsafe asking my manager for help or for more time on something. The developers' opinions are always respected and taken seriously. Everyone also loves to have fun, with plenty of company outings and special events. The work we do isn't particularly innovative, but it's usually a good challenge. The facilities aren't luxurious but they give you quality equipment and will upgrade you if you need it (standard-issue laptop is currently a quad-core i7, 8GB, SSD, 1920x1080 screen plus dual externals). Management is very open to criticism and feedback. You can literally call them out in front of the whole company and not fear any backlash. Work-life balance is great; I've very rarely felt pressured to work late or more than 40 hours.

Cons

The company was recently sold by its original husband-and-wife owners and the new ownership is pushing for much more aggressive growth, with mixed results. A lot of things are becoming a lot more corporate with no particular need for it. The hierarchy is extremely flat, so don't expect to get a job title promotion anytime soon (although they will give you higher responsibilities and personal growth opportunities if you ask and prove you can handle it). The open office space is sometimes a little rowdy and loud, but most of the time people are respectful and won't bug you if you've got headphones on. If it's really critical there are quiet places to go and you're allowed to work remotely if you need to.

Do your homework on the leadership, heed the red flags...

Current Employee - Team Member in Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Team Member in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Centare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free coffee and food, sometimes. Decent work-life balance. There are some good people but they are unfortunately not in key positions.

Cons

As far as gear goes for a web developer: a cheap, heavy Lenovo laptop, some basic software (Visual Studio Professional) as well as some open source and free tools. The chairs aren't ergonomic, and you get two off-brand external monitors. Getting additional tools beyond that requires a pretty good financial explanation to management and a long turnaround time.

Projects are basic and not very interesting. Clients are typically local, small businesses. An occasional high-profile project comes through, but not often enough.

The office is open floor plan (some people like this, I don't) — picture a bunch of desks huddled together in an open space. It's loud, distracting and an impossible environment to work in if you want to concentrate on real work for any length of time.

There is no career advancement within a non-management role (Developer, QA, etc). All non-managers are given the official title of "Team Member". The only way to get promoted is to go up through the managerial chain which means you won't be doing any development work. Management techniques are impersonal, anti-growth, demotivating, and archaic (think 1980's style management).

Above all else, there are some questionable ethics practices such as:
    - management 'big-brother' spying (listening in on phone conversations, monitoring people working)
    - political plays resulting in unqualified individuals getting promoted
    - deliberate inefficiencies in the handling, treatment and billing of clients
    - lack of individual accountability by casting off responsibility onto a group

In this small niche of the software industry, employees and clients are the lifeblood of the business and should be treated as such. Valuing employees as such will gain you trust, respect, and their best work. Treating clients with this utmost respect will give you repeat business, higher profile clients & projects, as well as positive word-of-mouth advertising and generally a better reputation.

Also, it would be worth spending time researching and learning about modern leadership practices.

Sep 23, 2014

Thank you for the feedback. I’m very sorry to hear you’re not enjoying the environment here at Centare. We want all our employees to love working at Centare and I would like to understand your ... More

Innovative approaches to employee engagement and strong learning culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Centare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Commitment to education, continuous improvement and efficient communication. Flexible environment and the opportunity to grow in both knowledge and influence into leadership.

Cons

Fast paced environment requires business savvy and strong motivation.

More cookouts!

Sep 16, 2014VP Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your great review. We're so glad to hear you're excited about the opportunities for growth and education. We'll work on having more cookouts in the summer months while we can! :) Thank you ... More

Best company in the state, nay - nation, nay - universe!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Centare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get a bunch of really smart and passionate people in a room, add a few comedians and alot of coffee, toss in an extremely competent leadership team that seems to have figured out "who we are and what we do," and you get Centare. And that's on any random day. On a particularly good day, this place has more excitement than disney world.

Hands down the most personally caring company and people I know.

Easily the single best place to grow your skills and become a craftsman - so many opportunities and experts.

Diversified practices (Centare is not just a consulting shop) make it that even in economic down-turns, different parts of the company are still thriving, and everyone benefits.

Cons

As with any consulting situation, the experience of working here varies alot based on your location and client. This certainly is something that the leadership team seems to be aware of and does a good job of making us all feel connected and part of the same team.

Keep the focus on the culture and the people - you're doing great!

Staff Consultant

I have been working at Centare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of free lunches, dinners, and outings. Top notch holiday party. Everyone is very dedicated. Brilliant talent. Industry leaders. Has the feeling of start up business but the stability of mature company. A lot of opportunity to work on different types of projects.

Cons

There are a lot of meetings that can be hard to attend while still billing 40 hours a week at client.

I value all the events and that makes Centare stand out from the rest of places to work.

Smart people who work hard and have fun!

Current Employee - Employee in Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Employee in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Centare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Passionate people who care about what they're doing every day. A lot of training and efforts to be a resource to the tech community as a whole.

Cons

Can't always pick your own assignments but that happens in consulting. They try to listen and accommodate.,

Keep it up! Very strong sense of appreciation for employees.

Best place to work in Milwaukee

Current Employee - Staff Consultant in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Centare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

When you work with other people that that love their job it makes your life so much better. Everyone is very excited about what they are doing. Centare is really transforming the way people development software.

Cons

Although I was given a laptop, I don't think every employee has one. So depending on what type of position you take you might not get one.

Keep doing what you are doing. Keep asking for feedback from employees. Keep up the events so everyone stays in touch.

Great culture, great people!

Current Employee - Vice President Sales and Strategic Partnerships in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Centare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Centare empowers employees to be creative and deliver amazing value to customers.

Cons

Nothing... Great environment, great people.