Centene

www.centene.com

Centene Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014
Centene – US – “World Head Quarters in Clayton”

Centene Chairman and CEO Michael F. Neidorff

Michael F. Neidorff

Pros
  • Good benefits (although they were better just a couple of years ago)(in 23 reviews)

• Only thing going for this company is great health Benefits or should I say what is left of the benefits due to cut backs(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance unless you are paid by the hour(in 13 reviews)

• If you decide to take a job there plan on working many long hours(in 18 reviews)

Nothing is built to last.

Senior Applications Developer (Current Employee) Clayton, MO

ProsThey have an awesome cafeteria.

ConsNothing is built to last. None of the other developers are writing unit tests, and the architecture is pretty brittle.

As a developer you will be tasked with gathering specifications as the business analysts don't do their jobs.

As a developer you will be tasked with going through a five layer process to certify that a feature is ready to deploy - the testing team does not really test, only the business will test, and they are impossible to work with.

As a developer you will be tasked with supporting code you did not write (you will be on-call), and no one else on the team serves on-call (business analysts, testers, managers).

As a developer you will work nights and weekends in addition to regular hours, and you will not be the one promoted - Centene only promotes business analysts and managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee Cons

Business Analyst

ProsRelaxed environment and my department is team oriented.

ConsConsidering acquiring a new lead to handle real estate.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnhance training (currently in process).

One year after my start date and I would have chosen to come to Centene all over again.

ProsPeople, Growth of the company

ConsNo cons I can think of.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Confusing

ProsThe pay is decent and comparable to area hospitals

Conshorrible training. Constantly being pulled off of regular work to put out fires. Managers are all buddies that have left Health Net and brought a top-down cliqueish culture with them. I have a masters degree and they asked me to answer phones....no thanks

The company bids on state government healthcare business.

Contract Negotiator I-Internal (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe company is fast paced and is growing rapidly. Employees hired are devoted and hard working. Company should focus on hiring more administrative staff to support the production.

ConsThe company does not dedicate resources to train new staff, each health plan runs independently and therefore the culture is not feel cohesive at times. Company does not hire enough administrative staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to find ways to allow for work-life balance and adopt work at home policy.

fast growing company, unavoidable growing pains

Prosshould be able to have good opportunities to be promoted if you are doing well (have good performance review by a good manager who gets along with you), and fit in.
    compensation is reasonable. Good cafe, free parking.

Consnew teams are established and managers tend to make arbitrary judgement on right/wrong people to hire. When hired "wrong" people at a high level (high pay as well) who don't perform accordingly, they change strategy by starting everyone at a lower level - seems like an unfair punishment to new hires to me.

good place to learn health care and move on

Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosyou can take on as many projects as you want in order to learn. excellent learning opportunities. learn as much as you can for as long as you can tolerate it then move on.

Conssome managers and directors are not that great. some were put into positions without business or management experience. mid line managers did not co-operate as much as would have liked to see. many of them were out for themselves.

Advice to Senior Managementsome of the management team put on a facade when interacting with direct line teams.

Rapid growth and growing pains.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Clayton, MO

ProsA fast paced company that is growing.

ConsPoor training. Managers are overworked and cannot spend the needed time to supervise well. Total focus on the new account with detrimental impact on current customers. Blaming employees for systemic failures due to lack of training, support and time to think about what needs to be done other than today's fire drill.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better structure for employees and managers. Spend the time and dollars on internal development.

Good company, growing fast

Support Person (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood people who are interested in helping others. Hearts are in the right place. Growing very very fast. Overall happy here

ConsFast growth leads to some disarray as things evolve. Working through that, but can be frustrating at times.

Don't apply to work here if you are afraid of hard work.

Pros1) Employee benefits, compensation -- a company that tries hard to do the right thing by its employees
    2) High growth company, lot's of opportunities for advancement (if you are willing to re-locate)
    3) Innovative company in the health care space
    4) Every employee shares in the rewards that come from solid financial performance

Cons1) If your personal life is significantly more important than your work life or career, think carefully before you apply to work here.
    2) If you can't deal with the chaos that unprecedented growth brings, think carefully before you apply to work here.

Worked for Centene? Contribute to the Community!