Centene

www.centene.com

Centene Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Centene – US – “World Head Quarters in Clayton”

Centene Chairman and CEO Michael F. Neidorff

Michael F. Neidorff

Pros
  • Good benefits (although they were better just a couple of years ago)(in 23 reviews)

• Only thing going for this company is great health Benefits or should I say what is left of the benefits due to cut backs(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance unless you are paid by the hour(in 14 reviews)

• If you decide to take a job there plan on working many long hours(in 18 reviews)

Good company, growing fast

Support Person (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood people who are interested in helping others. Hearts are in the right place. Growing very very fast. Overall happy here

ConsFast growth leads to some disarray as things evolve. Working through that, but can be frustrating at times.

Feels like the wheels are coming off the bus.

ProsOpportunities to participate in many activities that would normally be out of scope in my role.

ConsIneffective recruiting and filling of needed roles, poor preparation and training for new staff, chaotic environment and exhausted employees. Negative reinforcement and threats from leaders rather than support and preparation.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsiderable opportunities to support the growth over the long run are lost as creativity and effectiveness suffer under fear and exhaustion.

Company growth is faster than hiring. Work Life balance is off. Very little growth potential for employees.

Do Not Want to Say (Current Employee) Clayton, MO

ProsEmployees are nice. Benefits are better than many but could be better yet.

Cons- Promotions are almost impossible for hourly personnel. If you are hired as an hourly employee, it is almost impossible to get out of an hourly position even if you further your education.
    - In the past, a degree wasn't required and people were 'trained' to do soemthing. Now, even those people were were trained and then promoted are told they MUST get a degree.
    - When asked about the above, management says it is not true and peopel are lying. I have seen & heard management say this. Therefore, management can't be trusted.
    - People are expected to work overtime. Workweek is said to be 40 hours but it is expected to be 50 or more on a regular basis for salaried employees.
    - Management's answer to growth is to hire more management and NOT the actual worker bees.

Advice to Senior Management- Develop employees, hire more people so everyone isn't as stressed.
    - Encourage promotions, allow people to rise out of hourly into other positions.
    - Hire more workers and less management.
    - Stop throwing money at the latest and greatest technology and make the technology you have work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corporate World - Fast Paced - Expect not much "home life"

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Clayton, MO

ProsBeautiful HQ in Clayton. Tons of Perks offered such as car wash on site, dry cleaning, clinic, etc.
    Decent benefits - besides the fact you work in Managing Medicaid HMO's and are in insurance industry - premiums could def. be better for such a large corporation.

ConsIf you are in any production position expect mandatory over time. As in Years of it.
    Upper Management does NOT have time for training; being available; etc. Expect managers to multi task, such as email, IM, Phone and constant co-workers walking in at all times.
    If you aren't one to agree and be willing to do all asked of you (regardless how you feel) - do not expect promotions.
    Can work all the overtime you want from home remotely but no options (often) to work from home otherwise. As example, there are many, MANY Jefferson County and Illinois workers for Centene that are hired on at HQ in Clayton - at any moment you maybe moved to Chesterfield which is much more of a hassle, and further commute for many coming in these two directions. 80% at one time of a department worked in Jefferson County as example. 80%!
    Lack of training in general. Much of the training (department wise) is insufficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of you are "over worked" and "overwhelmed." I am surprised how well many managers and directors "balance' and "maintain" their work load. Understating this is a fact pace quickly growing corporation the work is never done, but do not "bark" orders to your employees. Many employees are working countless overtime hours, most being salary yes, but unfair amounts of time away from family life. That does not seem to matter. There needs to be some major compromise in many places. As a Manager and Director you position is also to protect and guide your employees under you...take the time to listen to them..and stand up for them and compromise.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Challenging, rewarding

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosrewarding outcome with patients, positive working relationship with employees in all departments

Conslocation. length of drive to get to work, long hours 9-10 hours per day almost daily, lack of knowledge of management

Constant Chaos

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsCentene is a growing company with a mission that you can believe in "Better health outcomes at a lower cost". They care about their members and the communities in which those members reside.

ConsThere is so much growth in the business, but they are not growing the teams to support this new business. We try to put processes in place to manage this chaos, but there is just too much work and not enough people or hours. As a result, there ends up being a lot of escalations and constantly changing priorities causing an environment of constant chaos and people being spread way too thin. It would be different if you could see an end in sight, but that light at the end of the tunnel is really a train heading straight towards us.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage your human resource capacity appropriately and staff appropriately to support growth.

Great benefits

Case Manager I, Concurrent Review (Current Employee) Westmont, IL

ProsLow pressure environment, friendly people, diverse group.

ConsNot challenging, typical office politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore flexibility to work from home options.

Work hard....but no payoff for effort

Senior Applications Software Engineer (Current Employee) Clayton, MO

ProsCafeteria on site. Absolutely delicious food.

ConsIt has become pretty apparent that the goal from leadership is to get the stock price higher to their benefit.

This translates into long work hours for the employees and while senior leadership is raking in the cash by selling their stock....the worker bees see very small or nothing bonuses.

We bring in more business yet don't properly take care of our current customers.

Advice to Senior Managementnone.

Great Interview

Referral Specialist (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsHiring manager was very nice positive attitude during interview. Made me feel so comfortable and I received a call back from her.

ConsWas not able to find out the benefits prior to receiving an offrer.

Terrible Company

Care Coordinator (Former Employee) Clayton, MO

ProsCafeteria is like a restaurant.
    Health, Dental, and Vision coverage is very affordable.
    There is also a free clinic for employees and family.

ConsThis company is terrible. Growing exponentially. Feels like a sweatshop company that is growing too quickly.
    Salary competitive. Work like balance is awful. I have worked in other managed care companies and this is the best one to work for and that provides quality to their members. No real opportunity for advancement since this company is growing so quickly, especially for those that live in St. Louis.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire

Worked for Centene? Contribute to the Community!