Centene Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

2.6

Centene Chairman and CEO Michael F. Neidorff
Michael F. Neidorff

Pros
  • Good benefits (although they were better just a couple of years ago) (in 23 reviews)

• Only thing going for this company is great health Benefits or should I say what is left of the benefits due to cut backs (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance unless you are paid by the hour (in 14 reviews)

• If you decide to take a job there plan on working many long hours (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Good concept, poor execution

I have been working at Centene full-time

Pros

Salary, peers are great.

Cons

Management does not clearly think out overall strategy and execute across all companies.

Strategy, strategy, strategy. Learn more about all of the companies you own to find out how they operate then create a strategy to align them with the rest of your companies.

Boring

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Farmington, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington, MO

I worked at Centene full-time for more than a year

Pros

The health insurance benefits were pretty good compared to other companies in the area. The flex schedule was great because it gave you that work-life balance that everyone needs.

Cons

The training sucks! It lasts 6 weeks and you think you understand everything and then you feel like you have been thrown to the wolves when you get assigned to a team. Every team works on different states' claims so even though you were trained on one particular state in training, more than likely you will be working on a different state. So you might as well forget everything you just learned because all the rules just changed. Also a big problem is that they preach quality and quantity are equally important but that is a lie. It is all about production. I'm more about quality but they didn't agree.

Get better training and trainers. Start showing more appreciation to your employees.

Great company, never dull

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time for less than a year

Pros

Valued input and collaboration. All management truly values each employee. Fast paced never slow

Cons

Fast paced culture is not for everyone.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you are considering a position as CENTENE make sure to read all of these reviews.....THEY ARE ALL TRUE.

Former Employee - Does IT Matter  in  Clayton, MO
    Former Employee - Does IT Matter in Clayton, MO

I worked at Centene full-time for more than a year

Pros

In Clayton you have a clean and pretty building......see Cons. Dining facility was very nice when I was in Clayton. Free parking. Free Clinic. In all, the benefits were nice, and for me the pay was acceptable and comparable to industry standards.

Cons

Well where to start. I spend the first three months of my employment in a broom closet with six other people on another team. This room was 5 x 10 foot with no ventilation. Being remotely located from MY team I was not included on meetings, lunches or any other communication until I was eventually moved to the floor. Due to the exponential growth of this company, management can not keep up with the new trends. Training was non-existant. I was told many times to just figure it out. When you did figure it out they did not like the way you did it. You will be told to re-do your work without any guidance just to be told again they don't like it. No reason given other than, "That's not the way we do it". You ask how to do it and you get I don't know, just figure it out. After the third of fourth time you are pulling your hair out. Managers are promoted because they have been there for a few years, but they have no skills to deal with people......They may know their job, but can not talk to anyone because they come in drunk or complaining because they have not taken their crazy medicine. Directors and eventually VPs know the problems and that the managers have issues but refuse to do anything about it. Management can spew a list of SOPs but can not provide anything in writing. Even though you can spend hours quibbling in emails about mundane issues like are there two or three spaces between the state and zip code on a mailer. (literally hours) VP's report savings in numbers for end of year numbers. These numbers are inflated and wrong. Was brought to the attention of management many times only to be ignored.

There are too many issues with this company that are overlooked by senior management. HR was NO help at all. Be wary. If you are a YES man/woman and like kissing the backsides of those who think they know it all and it has to be their way or the highway, then this is the job for you.

You have probably guessed that I one of the ones who have "disappeared".

If this company desires to have a future then the very top, especially HR needs to seek out the problems and fix them. We took a survey a while back and told it was anonymous......funny that in the meetings where we were landblasted by our managers and VP, that they knew what was said and by whom......or so they led us to believe. If you want true and honest suggestions from your subordinates and truly care about what is going on, then quit promising to do something and actually do it.

MHS, Indiana - Other reviews were right on the mark, no work life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Centene as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Pay was good.
    With the exception of management, the people I met are very nice and helpful.
    They try to promote a healthy lifestyle (well if you exclude the stress they add)

Cons

Work life balance is crazy. We're talking 15 hr days, lunch at your desk while you work. Everything is urgent. If you don't delivery you'd better have yourself a backup plan.
    Corp has a disconnect to the other companies it manages. Middle management in these other companies have a strong disdain for corp.
    And as mentioned, manager are there for who they know not what they now. My manager was obtuse, micromanaged, and had a temper.
    If you do decide the money is worth the ulcer you'll get, take is one advice. Keep your opinions to yourself while you are there. They are a perfect company with perfect procedures, and to suggest anything otherwise, only means you are stupid for not realizing their perfection. You might think I am exaggerating, but you have been warned.

You are all perfect. Keep giving yourself pats on the backs and tell yourself how awesome you are as managers, as the workers really couldn't think for yourselves if it wasn't for your arrogance.

Pay is excellent, but not worth the headache!!

Current Employee - Claims Analyst (A2)  in  Tyler, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Analyst (A2) in Tyler, TX

I have been working at Centene full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is excellent for this area. Benefits are great, from insurance to 401k to quarterly bonuses.

Cons

Management is a complete joke! You only get somewhere if you are a brown noser or butt kisser. I choose to let my work ethic speak for itself. I am one of the top producers in our office and it has only gotten me written up and threatened by management. They are in cahoot's with HR, so that gets you absolutely nowhere. Yes I am a current employee, but not very much longer. I refuse to work for a company that has ZERO moral's, ethic's or integrity!!!

Upper management (corporate) should really make surprise visit's and meet with your "low on the totem pole" employee's to get the real story of what goes on. Site managers will smile and sit across a table from you in a conference room and degrade us to our face and then tell you how wonderfully happy they are with the way things are going. I'm sure they are! Bullying is NOT an acceptable form of management!!

dont stay here for long

I worked at Centene

Pros

decent work life balance in my dept.

Cons

bad management and no training

My experience at Centene was interesting and eye opening.

Former Employee - Contract Manager  in  Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Contract Manager in Lexington, KY

I worked at Centene full-time for more than a year

Pros

Centene offers a good salary and benefits. Opportunities exist for those who are happy with complacency and being a "yes" man/woman.

Cons

Opportunities for growth and professional development are limited to a select group. Employees are not empowered to perform duties within the scope of their jobs. Some managers are not qualified to serve in leadership positions. Objectivity and fairness are not the norm. Some managers/leaders treat subordinates as if they are nothing and get away with the poor treatment.

Hire competent managers. Listen to employees objectively. Empower employees to fully perform their jobs. Truly devote time and attention to professional growth and development for all and not a select few. Schedule mandatory feedback and communication training annually for ALL employees, regardless of the position or level.

Pay is above average & benefits are good, but very stressful work environment.

Former Employee - Office Management  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Office Management in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Centene full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company is constantly growing & expanding across many states. The salary is nice along with a good benefit package. The vacation times does increase to 3 weeks when you reach your

Cons

The work environment is highly There is little to no work/life balance. Many employees are stretched thin doing the work of 2+ people to compensate of being short staffed.

Offer more thorough training, communicate with employees

If you value your family, friends, etc., This is NOT the place for you

I have been working at Centene full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Compensation and benefits is probably the best thing going for Centene employees. If you are absolutely desperate for a job, hire on but only until you find something else. Don't worry - Centene is famous for their employee turnover rate. You will also receive a decent severance package as long as you sign a document stating you will not sue them.

Excellent Pre-school at a discounted price that is open 6am to 6pm so you can work almost 12 hours per day.

Cons

Too many to count and list here. Major issues for me are:

• No work/life balance
    • Bullying behavior from Managers - especially in the NurseWise division
    • Lack of responsible oversight from HR and Executive Management
    • Lack of training provided
    • Back-stabbing and favoritism are rampant
    • Working for a company that built state-of-the-art buildings and successfully took over a large part of Clayton by underhanded means.
    • Said Buildings, etc. were paid for with Medicaid Dollars.
    • While accruing time off, there is never a time you can actually take it. You lose it because you can't carry it over to the next year.
    • Out-dated policies and procedures
    • No flexibility – hours, dress code, working remotely, etc.
    • Mentality that employees aren’t to be trusted and are not treated as the professionals they are.

It doesn't make any difference what I have to say. Management has ignored every comment and suggestion ever made. Those employees that did have the courage to express their opinions are no longer employed. That should say something.

Worked for Centene? Contribute to the Community!