Centene Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

2.6

Centene Chairman and CEO Michael F. Neidorff
Michael F. Neidorff

Pros
  • Good benefits (although they were better just a couple of years ago) (in 23 reviews)

• Only thing going for this company is great health Benefits or should I say what is left of the benefits due to cut backs (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance unless you are paid by the hour (in 14 reviews)

• If you decide to take a job there plan on working many long hours (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Great industry experience for students

Current Employee - Technology Intern  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Technology Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Centene as an intern

Pros

- Great work environment
    - Good collaboration among team members
    - Sense of belonging and meaningful work
    - Coworkers are willing to answer questions and provide direction as needed
    - Management is focused on developing the intern and then providing full time employment opportunities if it is a good fit and positions are available

Cons

- There really aren't many cons that I have experienced so far.
    - A lot of departments/teams are involved in providing access to online applications, which requires approval from several managers and therefore takes some time before you get all the appropriate access. Not a major con but perhaps a small challenge to hitting the ground running.

Keep growing and providing quality opportunities to college students looking to gain valuable industry experience.

Finance

I have been working at Centene full-time for more than a year

Pros

The office furniture is nice. The pay is equitable and market rates. I think management acts interested in your ideas but has to plans to change anything or help. People get walked out with no warning.

Cons

Corporate management needs to move into the 21st century. Maybe they are just too old but the PTO and dress policy is out of date. There is no work life balance unless you are paid by the hour. HR is just a joke.

If you want to be an employer of choice and attract & restrain top talent, make changes. What kind of company doesn't let you take 1 day in the first 3 months?

frustration, frustration, frustration

Former Employee - Claims Analyst (A3)  in  Great Falls, MT
    Former Employee - Claims Analyst (A3) in Great Falls, MT

I worked at Centene full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The pay is decent for the area. If you have little kids, the daycare is great. The benefits are decent, not as good as they were when I started there, but still decent. If you have solid computer skills, they are willing to train on the medical insurance processing stuff (...to a point).

Cons

The atmosphere is lousy. People are treated like office equipment. There is no longterm direction or clear goals. I worked there for 7 years & it always felt like we were flying by the seat of our pants. The stress level is off the charts and it doesn't have to be. I feel like the company only cared about making money. Here we were processing claims for some of the most vulnerable of our population but there was never any concern for the patient or the doctors treating them. Their policy seemed to be to screw around long enough to wear the providers down until they gave up trying to get payment. As hard as it was to get proper payment out of Centene, no wonder providers are leary about taking on Medicaid patients. I found it deplorable. When any questions were raised about why we were taking on new states when we couldn't handle the ones we already had, they said it was growth. Any questions regarding the company itself were answered with statements of how the pay and benefits were good and if you didn't like it you could go elsewhere. The company is very "Top-Down" and there is no meaningful way for lowly workers to share ideas or suggestions. Management was very defensive and resistant to any ideas from underlings. I came to Centene with nearly 10 years of medical insurance experience and even when I found glaring errors in processing policies, I was told that "that was just how they do it." I even copied an entry from the CPT manual to back me up and contacted everyone I could think of ... no luck. A couple of years later, someone with a better title than me must have discovered the same policy error because it finally did get changed. Who knows how many claims were underpaid in the years preceding. I came from an atmosphere at my old company where everyone had a voice and the goal was to do it right the first time and if adjustments were needed down the road, take care to get those right. The patients and providers mattered. At Centene, the policy was just to shove it through, right or wrong and adjust it later, right or wrong (& possibly multiple times) ... which is a horrible, costly policy. Is the company growing? Sure, they are taking on new business all the time. Plans are dropping all the time, too, though. I truly believe that the only reason Centene is doing as well as it is is because there aren't enough reputable companies in the Medicaid business.

You need a complete reboot. The top-down structure is ineffective. You hire people for their experience and then muzzle them. If you really wanted to improve the company you would re-vamp the entire culture to where people had a voice. You would really dig deep to find a moral core within the company's mission and revisit that constantly. Of course you need to make money. I am not against making money. However, when money is the driving force behind your business, everything else gets lost ... like ethics and responsibility. Also, the atmosphere when I was there was oppressive. There needs to be a shift where people feel like they matter. It should feel safe to both give and receive feedback. Meetings should be more open. There should be agendas with times allotted to cover the items including discussion. Items needing follow-up should be captured and assigned to a specific person (or group) for timebound follow-up. When I worked there, most meetings involved the supervisor reading a list of things, very little input and NO followup. On rare occasions when I felt we had made some progress, things fell through the cracks because the busy supervisor did not follow up. Don't be afraid to delegate. Let someone who is committed to whatever it is and who has less on their plate do the follow-up. Trust your people. Most employees want to do a good job and feel good about the job they do and the company they work for. Do your part, let them do theirs.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The interview/job offer process was longer than I expedted

Current Employee - Case Manager II  in  Bedford, NH
    Current Employee - Case Manager II in Bedford, NH

I have been working at Centene full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love going to work everyday. The team I work with is wonderful. We all work together, help one another, and I don't feel any competition edge.. We ask the appropriate team member for assistance, advice,etc, and our manager is A+. He is always available and always finds the answer to our questions. The BEST manager I've ever had!!

Cons

cons are having to be at the office mon thru fri 8-5. I really enjoy my coworkers, the fun we have, the way we all work so well together. However, I would love to be able to work from from home 1-2 days per week. I feel I would be more productive without the distractions of the work place.

none. I LOVE my manager!! So far... it's only been 4 months, but he is wonderful!

Nothing is built to last.

Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer  in  Clayton, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Clayton, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have an awesome cafeteria.

Cons

Nothing is built to last. None of the other developers are writing unit tests, and the architecture is pretty brittle.

As a developer you will be tasked with gathering specifications as the business analysts don't do their jobs.

As a developer you will be tasked with going through a five layer process to certify that a feature is ready to deploy - the testing team does not really test, only the business will test, and they are impossible to work with.

As a developer you will be tasked with supporting code you did not write (you will be on-call), and no one else on the team serves on-call (business analysts, testers, managers).

As a developer you will work nights and weekends in addition to regular hours, and you will not be the one promoted - Centene only promotes business analysts and managers.

See Cons

One year after my start date and I would have chosen to come to Centene all over again.

I have been working at Centene full-time for more than a year

Pros

People, Growth of the company

Cons

No cons I can think of.

Confusing

I have been working at Centene

Pros

The pay is decent and comparable to area hospitals

Cons

horrible training. Constantly being pulled off of regular work to put out fires. Managers are all buddies that have left Health Net and brought a top-down cliqueish culture with them. I have a masters degree and they asked me to answer phones....no thanks

Great opportunity if you can get into the right department.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Clayton, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Clayton, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great campus and amenities; always new business; never a dull moment!

Cons

Hard to advance past Manager level - I wish there were more opportunities to climb the ladder. Some departments, not all, have a real log jam at the top; you basically have to wait for someone to flame out or hang tough until the inevitable reorganization.

Give job & industry experience more weight rather than ironclad insistence on higher education.

The company bids on state government healthcare business.

Former Employee - Contract Negotiator I-Internal  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Contract Negotiator I-Internal in Chicago, IL

I worked at Centene full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is fast paced and is growing rapidly. Employees hired are devoted and hard working. Company should focus on hiring more administrative staff to support the production.

Cons

The company does not dedicate resources to train new staff, each health plan runs independently and therefore the culture is not feel cohesive at times. Company does not hire enough administrative staff.

Management needs to find ways to allow for work-life balance and adopt work at home policy.

Business Analyst

I have been working at Centene full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relaxed environment and my department is team oriented.

Cons

Considering acquiring a new lead to handle real estate.

Enhance training (currently in process).

Worked for Centene? Contribute to the Community!