Centene Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
2.6

Centene Chairman and CEO Michael F. Neidorff
Michael F. Neidorff

Pros
  • Good benefits (although they were better just a couple of years ago) (in 23 reviews)

• Only thing going for this company is great health Benefits or should I say what is left of the benefits due to cut backs (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance unless you are paid by the hour (in 14 reviews)

• If you decide to take a job there plan on working many long hours (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Constant Chaos

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time for more than a year

Pros

Centene is a growing company with a mission that you can believe in "Better health outcomes at a lower cost". They care about their members and the communities in which those members reside.

Cons

There is so much growth in the business, but they are not growing the teams to support this new business. We try to put processes in place to manage this chaos, but there is just too much work and not enough people or hours. As a result, there ends up being a lot of escalations and constantly changing priorities causing an environment of constant chaos and people being spread way too thin. It would be different if you could see an end in sight, but that light at the end of the tunnel is really a train heading straight towards us.

Manage your human resource capacity appropriately and staff appropriately to support growth.

Company growth is faster than hiring. Work Life balance is off. Very little growth potential for employees.

Current Employee - Do Not Want to Say  in  Clayton, MO
    Current Employee - Do Not Want to Say in Clayton, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time

Pros

Employees are nice. Benefits are better than many but could be better yet.

Cons

- Promotions are almost impossible for hourly personnel. If you are hired as an hourly employee, it is almost impossible to get out of an hourly position even if you further your education.
    - In the past, a degree wasn't required and people were 'trained' to do soemthing. Now, even those people were were trained and then promoted are told they MUST get a degree.
    - When asked about the above, management says it is not true and peopel are lying. I have seen & heard management say this. Therefore, management can't be trusted.
    - People are expected to work overtime. Workweek is said to be 40 hours but it is expected to be 50 or more on a regular basis for salaried employees.
    - Management's answer to growth is to hire more management and NOT the actual worker bees.

- Develop employees, hire more people so everyone isn't as stressed.
    - Encourage promotions, allow people to rise out of hourly into other positions.
    - Hire more workers and less management.
    - Stop throwing money at the latest and greatest technology and make the technology you have work.

Corporate World - Fast Paced - Expect not much "home life"

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Clayton, MO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Clayton, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Beautiful HQ in Clayton. Tons of Perks offered such as car wash on site, dry cleaning, clinic, etc.
    Decent benefits - besides the fact you work in Managing Medicaid HMO's and are in insurance industry - premiums could def. be better for such a large corporation.

Cons

If you are in any production position expect mandatory over time. As in Years of it.
    Upper Management does NOT have time for training; being available; etc. Expect managers to multi task, such as email, IM, Phone and constant co-workers walking in at all times.
    If you aren't one to agree and be willing to do all asked of you (regardless how you feel) - do not expect promotions.
    Can work all the overtime you want from home remotely but no options (often) to work from home otherwise. As example, there are many, MANY Jefferson County and Illinois workers for Centene that are hired on at HQ in Clayton - at any moment you maybe moved to Chesterfield which is much more of a hassle, and further commute for many coming in these two directions. 80% at one time of a department worked in Jefferson County as example. 80%!
    Lack of training in general. Much of the training (department wise) is insufficient.

Most of you are "over worked" and "overwhelmed." I am surprised how well many managers and directors "balance' and "maintain" their work load. Understating this is a fact pace quickly growing corporation the work is never done, but do not "bark" orders to your employees. Many employees are working countless overtime hours, most being salary yes, but unfair amounts of time away from family life. That does not seem to matter. There needs to be some major compromise in many places. As a Manager and Director you position is also to protect and guide your employees under you...take the time to listen to them..and stand up for them and compromise.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging, rewarding

I worked at Centene full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

rewarding outcome with patients, positive working relationship with employees in all departments

Cons

location. length of drive to get to work, long hours 9-10 hours per day almost daily, lack of knowledge of management

Great benefits

Current Employee - Case Manager I, Concurrent Review  in  Westmont, IL
    Current Employee - Case Manager I, Concurrent Review in Westmont, IL

I have been working at Centene full-time for less than a year

Pros

Low pressure environment, friendly people, diverse group.

Cons

Not challenging, typical office politics.

More flexibility to work from home options.

Work hard....but no payoff for effort

Current Employee - Senior Applications Software Engineer  in  Clayton, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Software Engineer in Clayton, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cafeteria on site. Absolutely delicious food.

Cons

It has become pretty apparent that the goal from leadership is to get the stock price higher to their benefit.

This translates into long work hours for the employees and while senior leadership is raking in the cash by selling their stock....the worker bees see very small or nothing bonuses.

We bring in more business yet don't properly take care of our current customers.

none.

Great Interview

Former Employee - Referral Specialist  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Referral Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Centene full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hiring manager was very nice positive attitude during interview. Made me feel so comfortable and I received a call back from her.

Cons

Was not able to find out the benefits prior to receiving an offrer.

Terrible Company

Former Employee - Care Coordinator  in  Clayton, MO
    Former Employee - Care Coordinator in Clayton, MO

I worked at Centene full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cafeteria is like a restaurant.
    Health, Dental, and Vision coverage is very affordable.
    There is also a free clinic for employees and family.

Cons

This company is terrible. Growing exponentially. Feels like a sweatshop company that is growing too quickly.
    Salary competitive. Work like balance is awful. I have worked in other managed care companies and this is the best one to work for and that provides quality to their members. No real opportunity for advancement since this company is growing so quickly, especially for those that live in St. Louis.

Retire

Bad Opportunity

Current Employee - IT Intern  in  Clayton, MO
    Current Employee - IT Intern in Clayton, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time for less than a year

Pros

Its a learning experience but not the kind you hoped for.

Cons

Depending on your area of employment, there may not be much room for growth

Very professional workplace

Current Employee - Project Coordinator  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Centene as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Excellent people and working atmosphere to work in.

Cons

Choice of technology for replacement of applications required more scrutiny and due diligence.

Keep the good people.

Worked for Centene? Contribute to the Community!