Centene

www.centene.com

Centene Reviews in St. Louis, MO

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Centene – US – “World Head Quarters in Clayton”

Centene Chairman and CEO Michael F. Neidorff

Michael F. Neidorff

Pros
  • Good benefits (although they were better just a couple of years ago)(in 23 reviews)

• Only thing going for this company is great health Benefits or should I say what is left of the benefits due to cut backs(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance unless you are paid by the hour(in 14 reviews)

• If you decide to take a job there plan on working many long hours(in 18 reviews)

79 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company, never dull

Supervisor (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsValued input and collaboration. All management truly values each employee. Fast paced never slow

ConsFast paced culture is not for everyone.

If you are considering a position as CENTENE make sure to read all of these reviews.....THEY ARE ALL TRUE.

Does IT Matter (Former Employee) Clayton, MO

ProsIn Clayton you have a clean and pretty building......see Cons. Dining facility was very nice when I was in Clayton. Free parking. Free Clinic. In all, the benefits were nice, and for me the pay was acceptable and comparable to industry standards.

ConsWell where to start. I spend the first three months of my employment in a broom closet with six other people on another team. This room was 5 x 10 foot with no ventilation. Being remotely located from MY team I was not included on meetings, lunches or any other communication until I was eventually moved to the floor. Due to the exponential growth of this company, management can not keep up with the new trends. Training was non-existant. I was told many times to just figure it out. When you did figure it out they did not like the way you did it. You will be told to re-do your work without any guidance just to be told again they don't like it. No reason given other than, "That's not the way we do it". You ask how to do it and you get I don't know, just figure it out. After the third of fourth time you are pulling your hair out. Managers are promoted because they have been there for a few years, but they have no skills to deal with people......They may know their job, but can not talk to anyone because they come in drunk or complaining because they have not taken their crazy medicine. Directors and eventually VPs know the problems and that the managers have issues but refuse to do anything about it. Management can spew a list of SOPs but can not provide anything in writing. Even though you can spend hours quibbling in emails about mundane issues like are there two or three spaces between the state and zip code on a mailer. (literally hours) VP's report savings in numbers for end of year numbers. These numbers are inflated and wrong. Was brought to the attention of management many times only to be ignored.

There are too many issues with this company that are overlooked by senior management. HR was NO help at all. Be wary. If you are a YES man/woman and like kissing the backsides of those who think they know it all and it has to be their way or the highway, then this is the job for you.

You have probably guessed that I one of the ones who have "disappeared".

Advice to Senior ManagementIf this company desires to have a future then the very top, especially HR needs to seek out the problems and fix them. We took a survey a while back and told it was anonymous......funny that in the meetings where we were landblasted by our managers and VP, that they knew what was said and by whom......or so they led us to believe. If you want true and honest suggestions from your subordinates and truly care about what is going on, then quit promising to do something and actually do it.

Great industry experience for students

Technology Intern (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Pros- Great work environment
    - Good collaboration among team members
    - Sense of belonging and meaningful work
    - Coworkers are willing to answer questions and provide direction as needed
    - Management is focused on developing the intern and then providing full time employment opportunities if it is a good fit and positions are available

Cons- There really aren't many cons that I have experienced so far.
    - A lot of departments/teams are involved in providing access to online applications, which requires approval from several managers and therefore takes some time before you get all the appropriate access. Not a major con but perhaps a small challenge to hitting the ground running.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing and providing quality opportunities to college students looking to gain valuable industry experience.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great opportunity if you can get into the right department.

Manager (Current Employee) Clayton, MO

ProsGreat campus and amenities; always new business; never a dull moment!

ConsHard to advance past Manager level - I wish there were more opportunities to climb the ladder. Some departments, not all, have a real log jam at the top; you basically have to wait for someone to flame out or hang tough until the inevitable reorganization.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive job & industry experience more weight rather than ironclad insistence on higher education.

Nothing is built to last.

Senior Applications Developer (Current Employee) Clayton, MO

ProsThey have an awesome cafeteria.

ConsNothing is built to last. None of the other developers are writing unit tests, and the architecture is pretty brittle.

As a developer you will be tasked with gathering specifications as the business analysts don't do their jobs.

As a developer you will be tasked with going through a five layer process to certify that a feature is ready to deploy - the testing team does not really test, only the business will test, and they are impossible to work with.

As a developer you will be tasked with supporting code you did not write (you will be on-call), and no one else on the team serves on-call (business analysts, testers, managers).

As a developer you will work nights and weekends in addition to regular hours, and you will not be the one promoted - Centene only promotes business analysts and managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee Cons

Rapid growth and growing pains.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Clayton, MO

ProsA fast paced company that is growing.

ConsPoor training. Managers are overworked and cannot spend the needed time to supervise well. Total focus on the new account with detrimental impact on current customers. Blaming employees for systemic failures due to lack of training, support and time to think about what needs to be done other than today's fire drill.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better structure for employees and managers. Spend the time and dollars on internal development.

Good company, growing fast

Support Person (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood people who are interested in helping others. Hearts are in the right place. Growing very very fast. Overall happy here

ConsFast growth leads to some disarray as things evolve. Working through that, but can be frustrating at times.

Company growth is faster than hiring. Work Life balance is off. Very little growth potential for employees.

Do Not Want to Say (Current Employee) Clayton, MO

ProsEmployees are nice. Benefits are better than many but could be better yet.

Cons- Promotions are almost impossible for hourly personnel. If you are hired as an hourly employee, it is almost impossible to get out of an hourly position even if you further your education.
    - In the past, a degree wasn't required and people were 'trained' to do soemthing. Now, even those people were were trained and then promoted are told they MUST get a degree.
    - When asked about the above, management says it is not true and peopel are lying. I have seen & heard management say this. Therefore, management can't be trusted.
    - People are expected to work overtime. Workweek is said to be 40 hours but it is expected to be 50 or more on a regular basis for salaried employees.
    - Management's answer to growth is to hire more management and NOT the actual worker bees.

Advice to Senior Management- Develop employees, hire more people so everyone isn't as stressed.
    - Encourage promotions, allow people to rise out of hourly into other positions.
    - Hire more workers and less management.
    - Stop throwing money at the latest and greatest technology and make the technology you have work.

Corporate World - Fast Paced - Expect not much "home life"

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Clayton, MO

ProsBeautiful HQ in Clayton. Tons of Perks offered such as car wash on site, dry cleaning, clinic, etc.
    Decent benefits - besides the fact you work in Managing Medicaid HMO's and are in insurance industry - premiums could def. be better for such a large corporation.

ConsIf you are in any production position expect mandatory over time. As in Years of it.
    Upper Management does NOT have time for training; being available; etc. Expect managers to multi task, such as email, IM, Phone and constant co-workers walking in at all times.
    If you aren't one to agree and be willing to do all asked of you (regardless how you feel) - do not expect promotions.
    Can work all the overtime you want from home remotely but no options (often) to work from home otherwise. As example, there are many, MANY Jefferson County and Illinois workers for Centene that are hired on at HQ in Clayton - at any moment you maybe moved to Chesterfield which is much more of a hassle, and further commute for many coming in these two directions. 80% at one time of a department worked in Jefferson County as example. 80%!
    Lack of training in general. Much of the training (department wise) is insufficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of you are "over worked" and "overwhelmed." I am surprised how well many managers and directors "balance' and "maintain" their work load. Understating this is a fact pace quickly growing corporation the work is never done, but do not "bark" orders to your employees. Many employees are working countless overtime hours, most being salary yes, but unfair amounts of time away from family life. That does not seem to matter. There needs to be some major compromise in many places. As a Manager and Director you position is also to protect and guide your employees under you...take the time to listen to them..and stand up for them and compromise.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Constant Chaos

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsCentene is a growing company with a mission that you can believe in "Better health outcomes at a lower cost". They care about their members and the communities in which those members reside.

ConsThere is so much growth in the business, but they are not growing the teams to support this new business. We try to put processes in place to manage this chaos, but there is just too much work and not enough people or hours. As a result, there ends up being a lot of escalations and constantly changing priorities causing an environment of constant chaos and people being spread way too thin. It would be different if you could see an end in sight, but that light at the end of the tunnel is really a train heading straight towards us.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage your human resource capacity appropriately and staff appropriately to support growth.

Worked for Centene? Contribute to the Community!