Centene Reviews

Michael F. Neidorff

1. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Centene

Pros

Great perks, compensation, somewhat fulfilling,

Cons

Have to have the right manager

Solicit feedback from your frontline staff. Who knows better than they?

2. Nice place to work for a summer

Former Employee - Mail Room Assistant in Clayton, MO
    Former Employee - Mail Room Assistant in Clayton, MO

I worked at Centene

Pros

Part time pay was reasonable. Bosses were helpful and interested in my work. Coworkers were friendly and helpful.

Cons

Work was a bit boring at times. Traffic can often be terrible around the Clayton office.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Great benefits. Expected to work any time of day or night. Zero mistakes tolerated.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Clayton, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Clayton, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you can pass a series of tests, and don't smoke, the health and dental plans are cheap and generous.
    Facilities are well kept. Computer hardware issues are fixed fast

Cons

If you make an error on anything affecting another group that's a strike.
    No Wifi for employees. Not a whole lot of transparency.
    If you are used to the suburbs, welcome to downtown Clayton (free parking).
    Two 11 story office towers had to stay home a day due to Ferguson protests.
    401k matching is generous but takes 5 years to vest your first dollar.

Work/Life Balance tilted to work. After working three 15 hour days four months ago, my boss mentioned he would take care of our 'work/life balance'.. Still waiting

If you actually understand healthcare.....look elsewhere....you won't be appreciated here.

Current Employee - BA IV in Clayton, MO
    Current Employee - BA IV in Clayton, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice facilities and a beautiful campus
    Good benefits

Cons

No one here really understands healthcare. Not even the CEO.
    Be prepared to be used and tossed around.

No plan for growth. None at all. Fly by the seat of your pants management is about to catch up to you.

Lots of opportunity, but only if you are on a first name basis with the VP’s

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to take on projects that you are interested in.
    Easy to become a SME in an area that you want (be warned; you will be the SME forever after!)
    Benefits are good, especially the health benefits if you play their “healthy pathways” game.
    Ok work/life balance and option to work from home IF you management allows it.
    Ability to set your own goals and path (don’t expect management to tell you how to progress within the company or help you)

Cons

Don’t expect any help or direction from management. They are shuffled around or quit so often anyone below them has little hope of moving up in the company. Making friends with upper/senior management is the only way to be promoted.
    Random after hours work. Other teams expect you to support their technology at a whims notice!
    Very important Employee Engagement Surveys were conducted last year (2013) and most IT departments failed miserably. Management promised changes. Nothing has changed. Another survey was just conducted for 2014 and Management & Upper Management literally forced employees to complete it. Results will most likely be way worse than last year.

INVEST time into your employees and not your own agendas.
    PLAN ahead. Leads know about project deadlines months ahead of time, but wait until the last few days and everything is a firedrill (literally!!!)
    PROMOTE from within and STOP bringing in contractors to fill a “gap” and end up hiring them for a position above current employees that have been READY to be promoted for months or years.
    PAY employees consistently and competitively. Salary for a more competent engineer on one team can vary $10-20k less than an incompetent engineer on a similar team. Trust me, I’ve had very candid conversations with employees and managers that have quit because of this unfairness!
    Enjoy life, let your employees enjoy theirs and be able to support their family. Grow from within and encourage communication between teams, managers and business partners.

Growing company with growing pains

Current Employee - Manager in Clayton, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Clayton, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is very successful and continues to grow in an otherwise stagnant area. Benefits are on par with other top companies (although they were better just a few years back). If you like a challenging, face paced environment, you will be very happy here.

Cons

The company just pays lip service to "work/life balance". There is often over commitment to new business that forces the IT division to work overtime on projects.

Continue your campaign with the employee satisfaction surveys. Act on them and not just provide lip service to the criticisms.

Great stepping stone.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits. Don't worry about being bored, there's always something to do.

Cons

Work-life balance? What's that?
    Promotions? It's about who you know.

Promote workers who deserve to be promoted and not your friends / brown nosers.

Good for a job but nowhere to go. The company itself has good intentions, but they give management too much power.

Former Employee - Claims Analyst (A2) in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Claims Analyst (A2) in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Centene full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are pretty good there but I've found better.

Cons

You get promoted only if you are already friends with management or if they take a liking to a snitcher or brown noser.

Don't listen to someone's gossip about a person, especially if you don't know that person. Be fair and don't make it clear that you have your favorites.

If you are considering a position as CENTENE make sure to read all of these reviews.....THEY ARE ALL TRUE.

Former Employee - Does IT Matter in Clayton, MO
    Former Employee - Does IT Matter in Clayton, MO

I worked at Centene full-time (more than a year)

Pros

In Clayton you have a clean and pretty building......see Cons. Dining facility was very nice when I was in Clayton. Free parking. Free Clinic. In all, the benefits were nice, and for me the pay was acceptable and comparable to industry standards.

Cons

Well where to start. I spend the first three months of my employment in a broom closet with six other people on another team. This room was 5 x 10 foot with no ventilation. Being remotely located from MY team I was not included on meetings, lunches or any other communication until I was eventually moved to the floor. Due to the exponential growth of this company, management can not keep up with the new trends. Training was non-existant. I was told many times to just figure it out. When you did figure it out they did not like the way you did it. You will be told to re-do your work without any guidance just to be told again they don't like it. No reason given other than, "That's not the way we do it". You ask how to do it and you get I don't know, just figure it out. After the third of fourth time you are pulling your hair out. Managers are promoted because they have been there for a few years, but they have no skills to deal with people......They may know their job, but can not talk to anyone because they come in drunk or complaining because they have not taken their crazy medicine. Directors and eventually VPs know the problems and that the managers have issues but refuse to do anything about it. Management can spew a list of SOPs but can not provide anything in writing. Even though you can spend hours quibbling in emails about mundane issues like are there two or three spaces between the state and zip code on a mailer. (literally hours) VP's report savings in numbers for end of year numbers. These numbers are inflated and wrong. Was brought to the attention of management many times only to be ignored.

There are too many issues with this company that are overlooked by senior management. HR was NO help at all. Be wary. If you are a YES man/woman and like kissing the backsides of those who think they know it all and it has to be their way or the highway, then this is the job for you.

You have probably guessed that I one of the ones who have "disappeared".

If this company desires to have a future then the very top, especially HR needs to seek out the problems and fix them. We took a survey a while back and told it was anonymous......funny that in the meetings where we were landblasted by our managers and VP, that they knew what was said and by whom......or so they led us to believe. If you want true and honest suggestions from your subordinates and truly care about what is going on, then quit promising to do something and actually do it.

Great company, never dull

Current Employee - Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Valued input and collaboration. All management truly values each employee. Fast paced never slow

Cons

Fast paced culture is not for everyone.

Centene Photos