Centennial Contractors Enterprises

Updated December 2, 2014
Updated December 2, 2014
2.7

Mark E. Bailey

Centennial is an excellent employer who appreciates its employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Centennial Contractors Enterprises full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Owned by an international parent with enormous financial strength and influence and opportunities across the globe. We are working with sister companies to expand our market presence.

Excellent training programs.

A lot of employees, like me, have over 10 years experience with the company.

Recent business development and marketing efforts are impressive and viewed as creating more opportunities for everyone in the company.

Cons

No more than any other company in the construction industry dealing with declining government budgets and increased competition.

Keep working hard to manage the cost of health insurance.

Keep recognizing people in the regular newsletters. Everyone loves being mentioned.

Company in steady decline

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager

I worked at Centennial Contractors Enterprises full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When I began working for CCE, there was a strong culture. Salary was competitive to the market.

Cons

Inferior software
    Leadership of the company unethical and does not keep their commitments.
    Corporate staff turnover high.
    Corporate staff has zero control as CCE is owned by a German entity.
    CCE primarily does federal contracting and hides the fact that it's a foreign owned company.

All change is not good

I worked at Centennial Contractors Enterprises full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Had some wonderful co-workers. Had a family atmosphere and was a fun place to work until it was bought by a German corporation.

Cons

Employees do not feel as if the company cares about them since it was bought out by German corporation.
    Too much work time and not enough family time.
    No career paths and rarely any raises.
    Feel as if the Germans are milking the company and employees' lives dry and will just eventually toss aside with no concerns.
    Insurance keeps getting worse over time.
    Does no good to express concerns.

Really look at what is going on around you with your employees. Are they really happy to be there? Do not hesitate to stand up for your employees. Try to make it a place people want to come to everyday, and try to retain your employees who just cannot seem to leave fast enough.

Not the best....

Former Employee - Project Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at Centennial Contractors Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

expensive benefits, micro-management exists without leadership, had a good culture but lost it

Cons

employees are disposable, no ability for employee to input in review processes, margins are their measure of good work

Decline of Centennial Contractors

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Centennial Contractors Enterprises full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When I started working for Centennial in 2006, the organization had a strong employee centered culture.

Cons

The company was sold to an international concern and you could slowly see the focus shift from striving for quality to improving the bottom line. All conferences and the majority of training were lost and the pressure was on to insure that the forecasts were met at all cost. It went from a company that strove for excellence and customer satisfaction to nothing more than a cash cow to be milked for all it was worth.

Work to slow the drastic loss of corporate personnel.

Very difficult internship

Former Employee - Intern in Quantico, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Quantico, VA

I worked at Centennial Contractors Enterprises as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Office had very talented and experienced people. Often able to make my own hours as an intern. Very casual but professional environment.

Cons

I felt corporate forced an intern (me) on the office. Some of the management acted as though I was an inconvenience (forgot when my start day was, never provided me a desk, computer or many basic supplies).